Pre-recorded homily from the Bishop

  • Thread starter Thread starter I_Thirst
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

I_Thirst

Guest
I visited a nearby parish for a Saturday Vigil Mass and a pre-recorded message from the Bishop was broadcast during the homily. It concerned the Bishop’s Annual Appeal, and it appeared that it was meant to have been played a week earlier – for the reading he mentioned was from the prior Sunday.

I found it rather odd having a disembodied voice floating through the sanctuary, and being a convert I’ve never experienced this kind of homily before.

How about you? Have you experienced something like this? What do you think?
 
Greetings, and welcome home!

(BTW, as a “cradle Catholic”, I hold converts in high regard because, while many of us who were raised Catholic have fallen into taking our faith for granted, converts into the faith tend to have a greater appreciation for it.)

From my experience in a couple of different diocese, this prerecorded annual appeal by bishops during the homily seems to be the norm. It does have an odd feel to it, but I only see it once a year.
 
Back in the days before recordings were widely available or reliable, the Bishops’s Annual Appeal [or any other messages deemed important enough for the laity to hear from the Bishop] was simply read from the pulpit by the priest. It’s nothing new. Personally I prefer to hear the voice of the Bishop and the inflections in his voice rather than a monotone delivery by the pastor reading the message.
 
I visited a nearby parish for a Saturday Vigil Mass and a pre-recorded message from the Bishop was broadcast during the homily. It concerned the Bishop’s Annual Appeal, and it appeared that it was meant to have been played a week earlier – for the reading he mentioned was from the prior Sunday.

I found it rather odd having a disembodied voice floating through the sanctuary, and being a convert I’ve never experienced this kind of homily before.

How about you? Have you experienced something like this? What do you think?
I initally asked if you were from Baltimore and saw you are from Texas. this weekend was the Archbishop’s Annual Appeal here in the AOB.
 
Back in the days before recordings were widely available or reliable, the Bishops’s Annual Appeal [or any other messages deemed important enough for the laity to hear from the Bishop] was simply read from the pulpit by the priest. It’s nothing new. Personally I prefer to hear the voice of the Bishop and the inflections in his voice rather than a monotone delivery by the pastor reading the message.
This is what I have experienced in the past in my parish – the priest read the Bishop’s appeal from the pulpit.

Thanks for the responses, folks. I feel much better about this. :o
 
I remember the first prerecorded message of the Bishop for the Annual Catholic Appeal from 1984 or 1985 when I lived in Houston TX. The seem is in Chicago, some pastors do not play it, but all are required to collect the required amount.

In Chicago last week was to play the prerecorded message, this week to fill out the pledge together and next week will be again about the pledge.

In our diocese half of the parishes are not self sustaining, the appeal is necessary. By the Canon Law we are required to support the Church (not a particular parish, the Church) So let us live with it.
 
In our diocese half of the parishes are not self sustaining, the appeal is necessary. By the Canon Law we are required to support the Church (not a particular parish, the Church) So let us live with it.
The appeal wasn’t disconcerting – just the way it was delivered. I’m good now. :cool:
 
Our priest joked today, “You know that CD from the Cardinal that we play every year? Well this year if we meet our goal we won’t play it!”

That recording had been standard fare since the late 1990s or so.
 
We get a recorded message from our Archbishop several times a year, it seems to me. They are on behalf of an appeal. or to mark the beginning of Lent or Advent, or because of some news item, like the re-organising of parishes.
I like it. He can read with the emphases he wants, and it makes it more immediate, too. The priests used to read them out, but the recording is better.
 
A bishop’s message can always superscede the priest’s homily. In the past as noted already in this post, it is through a letter. This bishop is only being “in with the times” by using modern technology to convey his message. Who knows, maybe in the future it could be real-time video conferencing. This just ensures the bishop can deliver a timely message to his entire congregation at the same time.

In the Philippines growing up, I found it was common for this to happen, and usually the message will come from the Episcopal Conference, usually to address pressing issues in the country that affects the faithful.
 
I visited a nearby parish for a Saturday Vigil Mass and a pre-recorded message from the Bishop was broadcast during the homily. It concerned the Bishop’s Annual Appeal, and it appeared that it was meant to have been played a week earlier – for the reading he mentioned was from the prior Sunday.

I found it rather odd having a disembodied voice floating through the sanctuary, and being a convert I’ve never experienced this kind of homily before.

How about you? Have you experienced something like this? What do you think?
Our Diocesan Services Fund appeal was this weekend. Our Cardinal is quite a good speaker (Daniel Cardinal DiNardo) and the film clip he appeared in was masterfully made, so I watched it eagerly. It was not a homily as such, but our pastor still did a “mini” (for him) homily before the movie, which made the total homily time about 25 minutes. Pastor could NEVER simply show the movie and not speak a few words before (and usually after too).
 
This is a norm at our parish. I hate to admit it, but I simply tune it out. I want a real homily not one centered around money.

I can’t stand the amount of MONEY that is wasted in the mailing for the Lenten Appeal, the production and copying of this CD and then the mailing of the CD to each parish…there is alot of waste going on. I wish that my Diocese would really look at the budget and their prodecures and realize how much money is wasted this way.
 
I visited a nearby parish for a Saturday Vigil Mass and a pre-recorded message from the Bishop was broadcast during the homily. It concerned the Bishop’s Annual Appeal, and it appeared that it was meant to have been played a week earlier – for the reading he mentioned was from the prior Sunday.

I found it rather odd having a disembodied voice floating through the sanctuary, and being a convert I’ve never experienced this kind of homily before.

How about you? Have you experienced something like this? What do you think?
were you in this diocese? our is a dvd that is supposed to be played in every parish, but some parishes got theirs late, so it will probably take 2-3 weeks and there will still be some pastors who refuse to use it. I just love first communions at Masses like this. Perfect Sunday readings for a dy=no=mite homily, but recorded message instead. In past years the message has simply been read from the pulpit in lieu of a homily.
 
This is a norm at our parish. I hate to admit it, but I simply tune it out. I want a real homily not one centered around money.

I can’t stand the amount of MONEY that is wasted in the mailing for the Lenten Appeal, the production and copying of this CD and then the mailing of the CD to each parish…there is alot of waste going on. I wish that my Diocese would really look at the budget and their prodecures and realize how much money is wasted this way.
The appeal from our Bishop supports many needed programs that would not be possible without our support. It’s a Precept of the Catholic Church to support our Church. Supporting our parish and our diocese is part of being a Catholic. Our diocese needs us. Someday Jesus may ask why we didn’t support Him. It’s not like the Bishops are asking for money that is not needed.
 
were you in this diocese? our is a dvd that is supposed to be played in every parish, but some parishes got theirs late, so it will probably take 2-3 weeks and there will still be some pastors who refuse to use it. I just love first communions at Masses like this. Perfect Sunday readings for a dy=no=mite homily, but recorded message instead. In past years the message has simply been read from the pulpit in lieu of a homily.
We had a DVD played at all masses this week. We set up two large screens. We didn’t show it during homily time however but when the announcements are usually made after the Prayer After Communion. OK so a lot of people leave right after communion but those are probably the people who usually don’t contribute to the Bishops Appeal anyway.
 
This same question was recently asked on Fr. Z’s blog, and the answer seems to be a decided “NO:”
“De Musica Sacra” (Congregation of Rites, 1958) :
60 c) Finally, only instruments which are personally played by a performer are to be used in the sacred liturgy, not those which are played mechanically or automatically.
  1. The use of automatic instruments and machines, such as the automatic organ, phonograph, radio, tape or wire recorders, and other similar machines, is ABSOLUTELY FORBIDDEN in liturgical functions and private devotions, whether they are held inside or outside the church, even if these machines be used only TO TRANSMIT SERMONS OR SACRED MUSIC, or to substitute for the singing of the choir or faithful, or even just to support it.
    However, such machines may be used, even inside the church, BUT NOT DURING SERVICES OF ANY KIND, whether liturgical or private, in order to give the people a chance to listen to the voice of the Supreme Pontiff or the local Ordinary, or the sermons of others. These mechanical devices may be also be used to instruct the faithful in Christian doctrine or in the sacred chant or hymn singing; finally they may be used in processions which take place outside the church, as a means of directing, and supporting the singing of the people.
  1. The use of film projectors, especially machines, whether silent or with sound, is strictly prohibited in church, even though it is for a pious, religious, or charitable cause.
 
My personal opinion: I dislike it when they put up a large screen blocking the altar and tabernacle during mass for a slick, media presentation about money. Yes, of course I realize that is the logical location for the large screen, but still it feels very infelicitous.

I would truly prefer it if the priest read it from a piece of paper. I would also prefer it if it were a homily, and not a sales pitch. Tuck a flyer into the bulletin if you must give me a piece of propaganda.

But I’m sure someone would complain no matter how it is done, so I accept that the bishop has chosen this way.
 
Our diocese (Charlotte) puts out a very nicely done video for the DSA. I am the AV geek at our parish. One year the bishop came to our church to give the message. He always said ours was his favorite parish. I found out recently he tells all the parishes the same. Talk about deflating.
 
Our diocese (Charlotte) puts out a very nicely done video for the DSA. I am the AV geek at our parish. One year the bishop came to our church to give the message. He always said ours was his favorite parish. I found out recently he tells all the parishes the same. Talk about deflating.
Is deflating Latin for pastoral? 😛
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top