Priest and the collar

  • Thread starter Thread starter catholictiger
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone needs their “down time”. If a priest is out at the store or having lunch or going to a movie, then chances are someone is going to approach him in and ask to have something blessed, or want to debate The Divinci Code, or ask if he could “answer a few questions”…he would never get to relax and enjoy himself.

If you are so adament that a Priest ALWAYS be dressed in his collar, why not require Cops/FIre Fighters/EMTs to be in uniform/turnout gear at all times as well. Or a Surgeon to only wear scrubs so that in the instance they stumble upon an emergency, no one will have to ask if anyone is a doctor, we will easily be able to point them out.

It is not the clothing that makes him a Priest. When he is dressed in jeans and a t-shirt he is no less capable of giving a bless then if he is in his collar, however he stands a better chance of having an uninterupted meal or conversation while out on his day off
In the 1890’s, military personnel were regulated as to what could be worn, both on duty and off. It was punishable as a minor criminal offense to be in something other than authorized.

Society has changed.

People no longer live in their uniforms, and one can not routinely tell the social position of another by their clothing.

Now, police are still required to carry their badge and ID. When i was a federal employee, I was required to carry my federal employee ID at all times as a condition of employment, and likewise forbidden to engage in public political acts.

A priest who wears the collar, or even a deacon, makes a statement. One who wears the cassock makes an even more visible one.

But, when not on parish work, it’s really between the bishop and the priest what the expected attire is/shall be. In the 1890’s, it would be no question; they would have been expected to wear the cassock or clerical suit most of the time in the US.

In modern islamic-dominated governments as well, not an issue: it’s often a civil crime for them to wear religious garments outside the parish building, and suicidal as well.
 
But we do not see the gun and id/badge of the police officer.

An EMT that is off duty does not have a “duty to respond” and is not required to render aid (I am a former paramedic in two states).
Many of us can spot the shoulder and/or ankle holsters most wear off duty.

And, in Alaska, yes, there IS an affirmative duty to respond for EMT’s. Even for holders of First Aid certs. So if you happen to be up here for some reason, be warned that the Good Sam laws up here require you to render assistance when needed and not rejected by the patient.
 
I really like to see a priest out and about in his collar. Is a priest ever “off duty?” Surely no priest would deny confession to someone if he was “off the clock?”
 
I really like to see a priest out and about in his collar. Is a priest ever “off duty?” Surely no priest would deny confession to someone if he was “off the clock?”
I can just see a priest answering machine message.
I am sorry, I am off duty at this time. please leave a message and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
 
I really like to see a priest out and about in his collar. Is a priest ever “off duty?” Surely no priest would deny confession to someone if he was “off the clock?”
I can just see a priest answering machine message.
I am sorry, I am off duty at this time. please leave a message and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Not all priests are pastors, not all priests work in parishes.

Yes priests do have “off duty” time.
 
While you are correct that an officer must carry his ID on him at all time, he is not required to wear it openly or to have it displayed at all times. Most off duty cops will only display their ID/Shield when it serves their purpose to do so…such as avoiding a ticket by having a fellow officer extend a professional curtosey.

As for EMTs or other medical professionals, that is a bit tricker. I can’t really imagine one would stand by and watch another person die or suffer when they can aid them, however, there is really no way for any of us to know that they were simply standing in the crowd either.
 
As for EMTs or other medical professionals, that is a bit tricker. I can’t really imagine one would stand by and watch another person die or suffer when they can aid them, however, there is really no way for any of us to know that they were simply standing in the crowd either.
A medical professional (including EMTs and paramedics here) can not do much with out equipment.

When I was an volunteer firefighter/EMT I carried a kit in my car but not all do and it is not required.
 
A priest who wears the collar, or even a deacon, makes a statement. One who wears the cassock makes an even more visible one.
Why is a cassock an “even more visible” statement than a clerical suit?
 
I can just see a priest answering machine message.
I am sorry, I am off duty at this time. please leave a message and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Yes, actually, that is what many rectory answering machines sound like. There’s usually an option for “if this is an emergency…” with directions to follow. But there’s simply no need for a parish priest to book next month’s baptism right here and now at 2pm on his day off when it can simply be done the next day.
 
I really like to see a priest out and about in his collar.
What one would “like” to see is irrelevant. Its between a priest and his bishop.
Is a priest ever “off duty?”
yes and no. Obviously a priest’s lifestyle can’t be “punched out” of, but nonemergency work need not be done on a day off.
Surely no priest would deny confession to someone if he was “off the clock?”
Any reasonable request for confession is never a problem.
 
John Paul II said the following in his April 5, 1982, letter to priests:
  1. Save us from “grieving your Spirit” (19)
  • by our lack of faith and lack of readiness to witness to your Gospel “in deed and in truth”; (20) by secularism and by wishing at all costs to conform to the mentality of this world; (21) …
Save us from “grieving” your Spirit …
  • by whatever shows itself as a desire to hide one’s priesthood before men and to avoid all external signs of it, by whatever can in the end bring one to the temptation to run away, under the pretext of the “right to freedom”.
 
Any reasonable request for confession is never a problem.
And according to Canon Law, which has been posted in this thread, confessions should not take place outside of a church or oratory without “just cause”.

Wanting to have your confession heard right now is not “just cause”.
 
Which would you notice more.
a guy in a suit or a guy in a cassock or habit?
If your asking me I will answer both.

Do not see many men in suits today, let alone a black suit with a black shirt and a Roman Collar.

But then maybe I am more observant than the average person.
 
Why is a cassock an “even more visible” statement than a clerical suit?
Protestants generally don’t wear Cassocks. (Some Anglicans do, but primarily as vestment, not as attire.)

A Cassock in public says “I’m Catholic or Orthodox Clergy.” Especially if the roman collar is visible under it.

A clerical suit merely says “I am a clergyman.” I’ve met many protestants who wear clerical suits. I’ve even met imams who wear the clerical suit!
 
Protestants generally don’t wear Cassocks. (Some Anglicans do, but primarily as vestment, not as attire.)

A Cassock in public says “I’m Catholic or Orthodox Clergy.” Especially if the roman collar is visible under it.

A clerical suit merely says “I am a clergyman.” I’ve met many protestants who wear clerical suits. I’ve even met imams who wear the clerical suit!
so if you can’t see the collar, he is just some freak in a dress?
 
so if you can’t see the collar, he is just some freak in a dress?
Hardly that; most recognize the cassock as symbol of religious.

Thing is, at least up here, the collar tends to make it clear that it’s a cleric and not a monastic or religious brother/sister. And there are no shortage of monastics amongst the Russian Orthodox up here.

(And yes, I’ve seen Orthodox clerics in Cassock over clerical shirt in public, as well as Catholic. Specifically, Rev. Fr. Oleska.)

Not all the Orthodox clergy choose to wear their riassa when not “on duty,” but those who do set a clear and visible signal for all orthodox, lapsed or practicing, “Yes, the Church is Alive in this town!”

And one should also note that the only difference between an orthodox nun’s riassa and an orthodox monk’s is the veil’s placement, and a little extra amplitude for the phsyical form.

I thank every Orthodox and Catholic religious I see about in habit. It’s a strong symbol that the Church lives. That Christian Witness of accepting the odd looks goes a long way.
 
I do really like the older, more distinct Catholic clerical dress. The cassock, saturno, and zuchetto, ferraiolo, &c do, without a shadow of a doubt, identify the wearer as a Catholic Priest. Not to mention they look just plain cool 👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top