Priest In Confession

  • Thread starter Thread starter Faith1960
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is important to note…the one needs to avoid detraction here…

Also that a priest cannot defend himself …due to the seal…so one ought be very careful in this area…

Certainly nothing should be said where a person or place can be recognized.

If one has a serious problem in regards to confession…one can contact the Bishop.

That being said…yes Priests are human too…they can have bad days and various temperments.

Let us pray for them all…
 
It is important to note…the one needs to avoid detraction here…

Also that a priest cannot defend himself …due to the seal…so one ought be very careful in this area…

Certainly nothing should be said where a person or place can be recognized.

If one has a serious problem in regards to confession…one can contact the Bishop.

That being said…yes Priests are human too…they can have bad days and various temperments.

Let us pray for them all…
Yes. Especially that last line. Every day.
 
It is important to note…the one needs to avoid detraction here…

Also that a priest cannot defend himself …due to the seal…so one ought be very careful in this area…

Certainly nothing should be said where a person or place can be recognized.

If one has a serious problem in regards to confession…one can contact the Bishop.

That being said…yes Priests are human too…they can have bad days and various temperments.

Let us pray for them all…
Yes, let’s pray for them all. And let’s stop with making excuses for priests whose conduct is scandalizing and turns people away from the faith. It disturbs me the extent to which the behavior of priests whose conduct scandalizes children and destroys the faith of the weak is brushed aside as if it were no big deal, explained away as part of penance, etc.
 
Over the years I have been to several priests and for the most part I have had very good experiences. Yes, there were those few times where a priest would misunderstand the intensity of my sin and make a much bigger deal about it. For example I confessed looking at an inappropriate image online and I was scolded that I should not be wasting all of my time looking at pornography when that was not really the case. But did I leave all upset? No, actually I felt relieved that I knew that I didn’t do all of that.

Confession is a very sensitive sacrament whereby one bears the innermost secrets of their soul. Most priests know how much courage it takes on our part to even go and so they are very compassionate. But my recommendation is if you get a priest who is harsh now and then just remember how harsh Jesus was treated when He went to the cross for sins that He didn’t even commit. And then thank God that Jesus did that so that all we have to do is listen to a few harsh words rather than have to hang on a cross for our salvation… thank you Jesus, teachccd
Beautiful post. An example, in both paragraphs, of turning something negative into something spiritually constructive.
👍
This is an understanding of the sacrament as redeeming in a comprehensive way, and that deserves a separate smilie.
👍

People, please think upon this sacrament as a font of great spiritual benefit and growth, not just a restoration of friendship, but a teaching/learning tool, and a path to ongoing intimacy with God. That said, do avoid confession situations which you have experienced are not helpful in this regard, but then share with our Lord your disappointment and move on. I do not go to any priest that dismisses the importance of the sacrament (luckily, those are rare), nor a priest who is inconsiderate or hasty in the confessional, nor one I have trouble communicating with. I try to take the maximum benefit I can out of each confession opportunity, even if that experience is negative or embarrassing. If all of our confession experiences were perfect, it would mean that all priests themselves were perfect, which is impossible. 🙂

I sympathize with, and support, the effort to find good confessors. May I suggest that when you do find one, you keep to him when possible. I will share with you that my best confessors I know for a fact have prayed for me, during the following week and sometimes later. I can feel their prayers, and for that I am also extremely grateful.
 
I’ve never had a bad experience when going to confession.

I certainly hope I do not encounter a priest that will make me feel bad for confessing my sins no matter if they are venial and/or mortal.
 
Possibly. But the fact remains, the priest should not be harsh. Think back to the Gospel where Jesus spoke to the woman taken in adultery. Did He speak harshly to her?
I agree with you. This fear of being the recipient of a scolding had me up all last night, filled with anxiety at the thought of going to confession again. If being yelled at, scolded or otherwise spoken to harshly is going to deter some people from going, that’s not a good thing. And you’re right, Jesus wasn’t harsh.
 
I’ve had very, very few bad experiences. Having said that, this is why it’s good to have a regular confessor, someone you trust.

I relate to those who have certain sins they don’t want their priest to know. I have said some things to my confessor and, for the next couple of days, regretted and felt uncomfortable around him. Yet he never thought twice about it and eventually I relaxed again.

Despite the discomfort, it was a good thing. I had to humble myself to do that, and I got great mentoring.
 
I know about the Seal of Confession but can a priest ever mention to another PRIEST what they heard in confession, even if names aren’t used or is their silence required even in that case?
 
I know about the Seal of Confession but can a priest ever mention to another PRIEST what they heard in confession, even if names aren’t used or is their silence required even in that case?
No they can’t.
 
… And let’s stop with making excuses for priests whose conduct is scandalizing and turns people away from the faith…"

Too often parishoners/former parishoners use actual or trumped up behavior of another as an excuse for them to do what they want w/out feeling conflicted.
 
RyanBlack;7598613:
… And let’s stop with making excuses for priests whose conduct is scandalizing and turns people away from the faith…"

Too often parishoners/former parishoners use actual or trumped up behavior of another as an excuse for them to do what they want w/out feeling conflicted.
That may be the case, but it’s a separate issue from priests who mistreat parishioners.
 
A couple weeks ago I was going weekly to confession, trying to imitate the saints. The priest startled me in saying, “you come every week!?!?!” I was to startled and freaked out to say much, and i made a bad confession:blush:
 
I know about the Seal of Confession but can a priest ever mention to another PRIEST what they heard in confession, even if names aren’t used or is their silence required even in that case?
They never speak in specifics. Sometimes they speak in broad generalities about the classes of sin that are brought to their confessionals, but these are so broad and so generalized so as not to fall into the category of disclosure of an individual confession whatsoever. And when they do speak broadly, it’s always with a teaching or other pastoral purpose – such as to encourage sinners that their sins are hardly unique, etc., or to raise alarm bells about modern conduct (such as mentioning the proliferation of pornography use and how that manifests in such a dominant way in confession).
 
I was wondering if anyone here has ever had a bad experience in confession, where the priest scolded them or said something to make them regret seeing that particular priest to hear their confession?
no all good here i’m glad after reading some of the posts here
 
I was wondering if anyone here has ever had a bad experience in confession, where the priest scolded them or said something to make them regret seeing that particular priest to hear their confession?
My wife and her two sisters on different occasions in churches in various parishes experienced this. In all cases the priests were Jesuits who do not seem to be very compassionate. After that they go to priests they know or make sure before Confession that the priest is not a Jesuit. If he is a Jesuit then they go elsewhere to confess.
 
I was wondering if anyone here has ever had a bad experience in confession, where the priest scolded them or said something to make them regret seeing that particular priest to hear their confession?
raises hand

A priest once told me, in a loud and rather emotional voice, “I cannot absolve you unless you are absolutely sure that you will never, ever do that again!” I was young then, in college. It really scared me and I said “yes” though with reluctance. I must say I struggled with that sin and have done it countless times after. I still went for confession, but I was never back at that parish.
 
There are two kinds of ``bad" experiences. I have never been yelled at or seriously scolded. However, one time I went to confession (in a foreign country) and the priest emphasized God’s mercy and love. He also told me that what I confessed was “no longer considered a real sin” even though the catechism clearly says that it is, and that I shouldn’t worry about it.

Fortunately, I know better, but even so when I am tempted remembering this makes resisting the temptation that much harder. It must be very difficult for a priest to find the right balance of honesty to tell penitents that what they did was wrong, compassion and mercy to assure the penitent that they are truly forgiven and absolved of their sins , and wisdom to suggest the right penance that will help the penitent to find the strength and will to turn to Jesus in times of temptation in the future.
 
A couple weeks ago I was going weekly to confession, trying to imitate the saints. The priest startled me in saying, “you come every week!?!?!” I was to startled and freaked out to say much, and i made a bad confession:blush:
maybe he wasn’t being rude, just surprised since so many people these days go as infrequently as possible.
 
My wife and her two sisters on different occasions in churches in various parishes experienced this. In all cases the priests were Jesuits who do not seem to be very compassionate. After that they go to priests they know or make sure before Confession that the priest is not a Jesuit. If he is a Jesuit then they go elsewhere to confess.
Our confessionals have the priest’s name on the door, so I’ll either go to the one I feel most comforatble with, or go to another parish altogether. We have one priest who really intimidates me and a lot of other people. I’ve had him for confession before, though, and he was very good in that capacity. Even so, I’ll stick with the other priest in the future.
 
“…A person who is unwilling to avoid a near or a voluntary occasion of sin is not fittingly prepared to receive absolution and forgiveness of his sins. If the priest is aware of his imperfect dispositions, he will refuse absolution.”

There are many elements of preparing and then participating in this sacrament. ONe of them is the “firm purpose of ammendment”
tanbooks.com/doct/confession_manual.htm
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top