Priest necessary for confession?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Richard_Feynman
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Once we are past the false assertion of purgatory being the “third place”, it is easier to grasp.

I keep going back to Paul’s writing in 1 Corinthians 3:10-17. Just how is that, on the terrible day of the Lord, when all creation is in upheaval, and we are called from this life into the Lord’s presence, (no longer on earth but our work is being examined by judged by God), and if that work burns up, we will suffer loss, but we ourselves are still saved - yet as though passing through fire?

I believe that this is explained by Paul’s reference to us being the temple of God, with His Spirit dwelling in us. If we recall from scripture (2 Maccabees 8), the temple in Jerusalem suffered loss, being defiled by sinful men. Once liberated from sin, it was purified and the fire of sacrifice were placed within it. Once that fire was in the temple and the sacrifice occurred, it was found acceptable to God - the first Hanukkah. Note in 2 Maccabees 10:7, that the people carried branches and palms in honor of the Lord Who gave them success in cleansing His place. What can this be except a foreshadowing of Palm Sunday, when the Lord in the flesh would return to the temple and sanctify it with His presence? The purgation of judgment day is our personal Hanukkah, so to speak.

No one who denies purgatory has yet been able to offer a coherent explanation of just what this process is that Paul speaks of, other than what we know as purgatory. The temple was defiled by sin, then purged and cleansed with the fire of sacrifice as a re-dedication to the Lord. God, Who accepted this practice for His temple, also accepts it as purification for our bodies, which are the temple in which His Spirit lives (1 Cor 3:17).
Not necessarily. I asked a Protestant seminarian what they thought of this process. And of course I was accused of taking that passage out of context and that’s how I got to purgatory. :rolleyes: anyway, he said that Paul is talking about teaching being tested on earth and the fire is representative of false teacher’s teachings not standing the test of the Bible. Obviously this doesn’t explain it. He’s a rhetoric teacher and was very persuasive! But I still have to think this is talking about purgatory.

Richard Feynman
 
Not necessarily. I asked a Protestant seminarian what they thought of this process. And of course I was accused of taking that passage out of context and that’s how I got to purgatory. :rolleyes: anyway, he said that Paul is talking about teaching being tested on earth and the fire is representative of false teacher’s teachings not standing the test of the Bible. Obviously this doesn’t explain it. He’s a rhetoric teacher and was very persuasive! But I still have to think this is talking about purgatory.

Richard Feynman
Coherence is in the eye of the beholder, no? As well, I omitted other scxriptural references to the process in the afterlife, both in the Gospels as well as in 2 Maccabees. There is probably a different answer given by each denomination. However, the word Paul used is translated “work” which will be tested. “Teaching” is certainly contained within the broad category of work, but various bible Christians have also exchanged “teaching” for the “traditions” that Paul used in 2 Thessalonians, as well. To me, it appears that “teaching” has been inserted for reasons of denominational preference. Yet, since his denomination denies infallibility and admits that it can teach error, he should be all the more interested in purgatory.
 
Coherence is in the eye of the beholder, no? As well, I omitted other scxriptural references to the process in the afterlife, both in the Gospels as well as in 2 Maccabees. There is probably a different answer given by each denomination. However, the word Paul used is translated “work” which will be tested. “Teaching” is certainly contained within the broad category of work, but various bible Christians have also exchanged “teaching” for the “traditions” that Paul used in 2 Thessalonians, as well. To me, it appears that “teaching” has been inserted for reasons of denominational preference. Yet, since his denomination denies infallibility and admits that it can teach error, he should be all the more interested in purgatory.
Lucky for me, I know all the references to purgatory in the Bible. 😃
Your explanation of “teaching” makes sense! I picked up an NIV a few days ago just to read the Bible… And, yes, work is replaced with teaching if I recall correctly. Great points all around there. I don’t like debating someone older than me, because I feel like they would look at me with filtered lenses. “Oh he’s young, he has no idea what he’s talking about.” Meanwhile, I DO know what I’m talking about (most of the time.) :cool:

Richard Feynman
 
I don’t like debating someone older than me, because I feel like they would look at me with filtered lenses. “Oh he’s young, he has no idea what he’s talking about.” Meanwhile, I DO know what I’m talking about (most of the time.) :cool:

Richard Feynman
1 Timothy 4:12
12 Let no one despise your youth, but set the believers an example in speech and conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.
As did Timothy, you have the teachings AND Traditions of an infallible Church behind you.

Now, back to the subject of confession… :o
 
Im curious why they thought sacrifice of animals would help them out? If an animal truly does not have a soul, then how does killing it benefit God in anyway?

Im also curious what would happen today if someone offered a sacrifice to God using an animal (not that I would ever do this, because I would never kill an animal), just wondering if doing it today would have any impact either way, if it did in the past, I would have to assume it would still work…right?
mikekle, it would depend largely on the reason for the sacrifice of the animal. Did the sacrifice the animal because in someway sacrificing the animal was the correct way of making recompense for their sin? If so, then most likely God would be pleased with the action. Although, the blood of the animal wouldn’t cleanse you from your sins any more today, as Jesus became the Pascal Lamb, thus only his blood can cleanse us from our sins.

However, if someone offered an animal sacrifice as a “work of the law”, which is how I am reading your post to imply, the not only would God very likely not forgive the person there sins, they would have yet another sin added on, of trying to save themselves threw the works of the law instead of threw the works of faith…
 
The Sacrament of Penance is to be considered necessary for salvation for anyone who’s committed mortal sins after Baptism.

You might mention that God has ways known to himself alone by which he can save those who through no fault of their own can not get there before death.

That is correct, they can make an act of perfect contrition with the firm plan of going to confession

However we must never commit the sin of presumption by saying:

Confession is not necessary because God will forgive me without it.

To not regard it as necessary is to commit the sin of presuming God will forgive you without it.

Do not make cases known to God alone become the norm in your mind.

God Bless You
 
Correctly interpreted 1 John 1:9 means “if we confess our sins to a priest he is…”
 
Sorry… been away from the forums for a while, but I’ve finally gotten the chance to come up for air… 😉
I believe I asked you for a source for what you claim scholars suggest. You first.
Fair enough. Looking back at my notes, I think I was remembering Dallen, who, in his The Reconciling Community: The Rite of Penance, discusses Jewish traditions regarding the forgiveness of sins (see especially p. 9ff). He asserts only an “admission of wrongdoing” as part of the liturgy. Moreover, he states that sin-offering generally was only in the realm of unintentional wrongdoing. Finally, he asserts that “the means whereby Jews atoned for their sins and were restored to the community appear to have had little or no influence on Christianity” (p. 11).
Who would know better how it was done than the Jews themselves. There can be no doubt about what “I have done thus and so” means.
Here’s the problem, though: your quote cites Maimonides, a medieval Jewish scholar. While well respected – and still seen as a valuable source – the problem with using Maimonides is that he never cited his sources. So, if we wish to take his assertions as truth, we do so only on his word, and without supporting documentation.
 
I don’t have an answer for you, but just wanted to say that I’m glad to hear that you are still here.
Richard Feynman, you are one person I’d love to have to dinner someday.
 
Fair enough. Looking back at my notes, I think I was remembering Dallen, who, in his The Reconciling Community: The Rite of Penance, discusses Jewish traditions regarding the forgiveness of sins (see especially p. 9ff). He asserts only an “admission of wrongdoing” as part of the liturgy. Moreover, he states that sin-offering generally was only in the realm of unintentional wrongdoing. Finally, he asserts that “the means whereby Jews atoned for their sins and were restored to the community appear to have had little or no influence on Christianity” (p. 11)
I seriously doubt he was speaking about the ancient observance of slaughtering an animal, but referred to the later development after destruction of the Temple. He wrote on page 10, just before your quote:
Yet by the second century, there are weekly fasts on Wednesday and Friday, days deliberately chosen to differ from the Jewish fast days of the time, since after the destruction of the Temple, rabbis came to equate fasting with the sacrifices that could no longer be offered. The [ancient] Jewish view that suffering and death provide a means of atonement and thus an avenue of forgiveness for the repentant sinner may be the background for Paul’s claim that death with Christ in baptism means forgiveness and also is the key to understanding where subjection to Satan and the death that is the consequence offers hope of eventual salvation.
Then your quote…* “The means whereby Jews atoned for their sins and were restored to the community appear to have had little or no influence on Christianity.” *… is more correctly applied, since Dallen is not speaking about the ancient ritual we have been discussing, but the latter consequential practices after Jesus’ death, since the Temple is no more.

I will assert that God foreshadowed everything that would follow in the New Covenant when He initiated the ancient ceremonial rites He gave to Moses. If their confession of sin was merely bringing an animal, laying on of hands, with absolutely no confession of their sin, then that would be true today. We’d enter the confessional and simply say, I have sinned, and there would be no need to say what the sins were. It is beyond my logic to believe this is what the Jews practiced.
Here’s the problem, though: your quote cites Maimonides, a medieval Jewish scholar. While well respected – and still seen as a valuable source – the problem with using Maimonides is that he never cited his sources. So, if we wish to take his assertions as truth, we do so only on his word, and without supporting documentation.
Since he is quoted in the Jewish Encyclopedia, that tells me he is more highly revered and knowledgable regarding his material than you give credit for. Encylopedias are not noted for false information. Brother JReducation never gives his sources, but does that mean everything he says is untrue? Or to be taken with a grain of salt? I would wager that if you check his words using an authentic source, you would find they are true.

Where does that leave us? You are attempting to downplay my words, and although I could quote my other reference that you challenged me with “try me!” … I decline your invitation, since it appears likely you would fault it, as well. Good day, Gorgias.
 
I seriously doubt he was speaking about the ancient observance of slaughtering an animal
Since he had already discussed that observance and only asserted “admission of wrongdoing”? Yes, good point. 😉
Then your quote…* “The means whereby Jews atoned for their sins and were restored to the community appear to have had little or no influence on Christianity.” *… is more correctly applied, since Dallen is not speaking about the ancient ritual we have been discussing, but the latter consequential practices after Jesus’ death, since the Temple is no more.
I would disagree. In that section, Dallen has been discussing “contemporary [to early Christianity] Judaism’s understanding and practice”… the quote, then, is a summation of all the detail he’s provided and not simply referring to the last of the items he’s detailed.
I will assert that God foreshadowed everything that would follow in the New Covenant when He initiated the ancient ceremonial rites He gave to Moses.
And yet, ‘foreshadowing’ doesn’t imply the degree to which the intent of God was foreshadowed, does it? Does saying “God foreshadowed X” and “God foreshadowed Y” place any requirements on how He did so? Of course not…
If their confession of sin was merely bringing an animal, laying on of hands, with absolutely no confession of their sin, then that would be true today.
Hardly. That’s a personal opinion, to be sure, and thank you for sharing it, but that’s purely personal speculation.

The Great Flood and the Ark of Noah are (similarly) foreshadowings of baptism (see, among others, 1 Peter 3:21); by your logic, that must therefore mean that Noah must have prayed in a trinitarian formula! After all, if it was a foreshadowing of a sacrament, it must have the verbal form of that sacrament, no? 😉
Since he is quoted in the Jewish Encyclopedia, that tells me he is more highly revered and knowledgable regarding his material than you give credit for.
Oh, absolutely, he’s revered! These days, he’s seen as providing a valuable resource. Yet, at the time that he wrote, he ran into exactly these objections! After all, aren’t scholars required to cite their sources?
Brother JReducation never gives his sources, but does that mean everything he says is untrue? Or to be taken with a grain of salt?
Brother JReducation is not writing a multi-volume work meant to be an authoritative source. Nor does he provide weak excuses for his lack of citations (apparently, 14-volumes is ‘brief’, since Maimonides claimed that he didn’t provide sources out of a desire for brevity; in other contexts, he claimed that he had more accurate versions of the Talmud than others had).
I would wager that if you check his words using an authentic source, you would find they are true.
Scholars provide citations so that we don’t have to “wager;” they substantiate their work precisely so that it doesn’t come down to bald assertions of their believability… 😉

In any case, it’s a poor retort to say “I made an assertion to you; now it’s your responsibility to find sources that are authentic and which back up my assertion”… 😉
Where does that leave us? You are attempting to downplay my words, and although I could quote my other reference that you challenged me with “try me!” … I decline your invitation, since it appears likely you would fault it, as well.
LOL! So… truth doesn’t matter, but only whether we all get along? The point of a forum is precisely that we lay out our arguments, see the sources we’re all using, and challenge and fault those arguments that don’t play out well!
Good day, Gorgias.
You too, Sirach… :rolleyes:
 
I would disagree. In that section, Dallen has been discussing “contemporary [to early Christianity] Judaism’s understanding and practice”… the quote, then, is a summation of all the detail he’s provided and not simply referring to the last of the items he’s detailed.
So I’m expected to take it that this priest’s opinion, which is his own speculation, supplants that of the Jewish scholar? As I anticipated, you posted true to my expectations. :rolleyes: Thank you for confirming it.
 
Fair enough. Looking back at my notes, I think I was remembering Dallen …

Here’s the problem, though: your quote cites Maimonides, a medieval Jewish scholar.
On second thought, I am mistaken in allowing you to negate the information I posted, solely on your source of one priest attempting to interpret Jewish ancient history. I asked you earlier for a source that is more authoritative from your claim, “scholars suggest that …” Is this your only source? The word you used to oppose my information was “scholar(s)” - plural. Where or who are they? This current day priest is the only source for the entire group?

I also provided another encyclopedia source from the Catholic website in addition to the Jewish, that said:
The ceremony of the imposition of hands was usually preceded by a confession of sins which, according to Rabbinic tradition, was verbal (cf. Otho, “Lex rabbin.”, 552).
This source is unreliable, too, in your opinion? And my reference to scripture is not valid? (See also Numbers 5:5-8)

I am of the opinion from following your other posts on the forum that you are loathe to lose an argument, which is why I declined to debate you further. You made a strong case and then failed to back it up with reliable source(s) - plural - that you assert you have read.

Perhaps it is critical for you to believe confession of sin was not important in God’s eyes, and that He just wanted His people to use a generic formula of “sinfulness”, without a solemn profession of their actual sins. If this was His will in antiquity, then I believe it would also be His will today - that there should be no necessity for the actual mention of specific sins.
 
I asked you earlier for a source that is more authoritative from your claim, “scholars suggest that …” Is this your only source? The word you used to oppose my information was “scholar(s)” - plural. Where or who are they?
Wait – you’re dissing me because I only posted one source (which has attributions), when you’ve only posted one source, which itself is notoriously devoid of attribution?!? Umm… ok… 😉

In any case, if you look back at the thread, you’ll see that my “scholars suggest that…” claim is in the context of placing one’s hand on the sacrifice, not of aural confession. So, you’re attempting to use my words in a context different than that in which they were offered. Nevertheless, I’d suggest that you read the footnotes in the NAB at Lev 1:4 and 16:21. Yes… “Scholars suggest that, by laying one hand on the animal’s head, the person was identifying that the sacrifice to be made of the animal was on his behalf. Not a transference of sins, but just a sign that ‘this sacrifice is from me.’”
I also provided another encyclopedia source from the Catholic website in addition to the Jewish
Right – the 1906 Catholic Encyclopedia. I’m giving slightly more up-to-date sources. 😉

Incidentally, have you read the source that it cites? It’s freely available on Google Books, and it’s a very interesting read. It would seem to help my case more than yours, but there’s a quite intriguing phrase in the quote. There are two problems with your assertion: first, that source states, “Idem dicit Maymon quamvis ambas intelligat”. Clearly, they’re using Maymonides as a source, which might mean that you’re really not providing another argument, but rather, simply the same argument, rehashed (and still unattributed). Be that as it may, the confession itself is very interesting:

“Deinde illis positis confitebatur sua peccata quae vel contra affirmativa vel negative praecepta commiserat, si scilicet sacrificium eius holocaustum effe debebat. Confessio talis erat, peccavi, perverse egi, rebellis fui et hoc et illud commisi; sed poenitens ad te convertor, sit hoc mea expiatio.”

Now, here’s the question: “hoc et illud” – that is, “this and that” – is part of the confession. The issue, though, is exactly what function ‘& hoc & illud’ serves here. Is it the author’s intent that this phrase be replaced by a recitation of the sins? Or rather, is it simply a phrase that’s used to indicate, in a generic way, that there are items that meet the description, to which the speaker is referring but upon which is not explicitly elaborating?

I realize that you want to assert that it’s the former, not the latter; yet, it’s not a foregone conclusion. Let’s look at a quote from Augustine’s De Trinitatae:

“Quid plura et plura? Bonum hoc et bonum illud; tolle hoc et illud, et vide ipsum bonum, si potes” (“But why go on? This is good and that is good: take away this and that and look upon the Good itself, if you can.”)

So, it seems reasonable to assert that the phrase “et hoc et illud” isn’t meant only as some sort of algebraic variable, intended to be replaced by the particular sins of the penitent, but rather, only as part of a general confession of sinfulness. The article in the 1906 Catholic Encyclopedia, I would assert, doesn’t provide any clarity on this matter.
This source is unreliable, too, in your opinion?
Not unreliable – just out-of-date and inconclusive. 😉
And my reference to scripture is not valid? (See also Numbers 5:5-8)
Certainly not. Yet, given that Numbers 5:5-8 clarifies a specific instance of the general case given in Lev 5:14-26, and that general case does not require a literal confession of distinct sins, then must we conclude that the phrase means what you say it means? I think not. Looking at the Greek, we have, “ἐξαγορεύσει τὴν ἁμαρτίαν ἣν ἐποίησεν” – at New Advent, this is translated simply as “confession must be made of it”; that is, if a wrong is done, one must admit the wrong. In other words, the general case in Leviticus doesn’t prescribe a listing of offenses, and Numbers 5 may be interpreted as only asserting that one must admit only that he has “commit[ed] any of those wrongs mankind is prone to commit, and incurs guilt by neglecting the Lord’s commandment” (Num 5:6).
I am of the opinion from following your other posts on the forum that you are loathe to lose an argument
This is true; I certainly like to debate. 😉
You made a strong case and then failed to back it up with reliable source(s) - plural - that you assert you have read.
And you have misused my assertions and refused to provide the sources that you claim you have. Perhaps we should call it even. Oh, wait – I have provided my sources, and you haven’t offered any contradiction to mine. Oops…! 😉
Perhaps it is critical for you to believe confession of sin was not important in God’s eyes, and that He just wanted His people to use a generic formula of “sinfulness”, without a solemn profession of their actual sins. If this was His will in antiquity, then I believe it would also be His will today - that there should be no necessity for the actual mention of specific sins.
Perhaps it is critical for you to believe that solemn profession of actual sin, in antiquity, was important in God’s eyes. Your assertion that “as it is now, so must it have been then” is hardly convincing; one need only understand the distinction between “foreshadowing” and “actual event” to see that this is not the case. However, if you have any sources that support your claim that Scriptural foreshadowing requires that the foreshadowing be identical to the event that it anticipates, I’d love to see them! 👍
 
Hello everyone!

I’ve been asked a question, as a Catholic, I can’t really answer. I’m talking to a “non-denominational” Protestant about confessing sins. She says this: "We don’t need a priest, a human and also sinner, to tell us our sins are forgiven…
She’s only giving you back what she’s been taught. Protestantism no matter the stripe has any authority of the kind.
R:
If we believe the Word then why do we need a human confirmation, what makes his speech any more powerful then God himself?" She uses 1 John 1:9 to support her case. I obviously used John 20:23 to support the Catholic view.
And 1 Jn 1:9 says 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Catholics say AMEN!!!

HOWEVER, tell her to keep reading. It depends on the sin one is asking forgiveness for. Venial sin, no problem. But not for mortal sin. Notice John reiterates the effectiveness of prayer for forgiveness of venial sins (**not **mortal sins)

1 Jn 5:16 If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God] will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that. 17 All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal.

So what’s the prescription for protestants receiving forgiveness for mortal sin if John says he doesn’t recommend praying about that sin for forgiveness.? :eek:

No protestant denomination can help her with this. None of them regardless of stripe, have any authority to do so. As you point out, Jesus gave HIS Church The Catholic Church the authority through the sacrament of reconciliation. And a Catholic priest is not to hear a protestant’s confession and give absolution except in proximity of their impending death. The reason being, they are Protestant to the faith. Unless they say they are going to convert, they intend to remain Protestant after absolution. Which is why Priests aren’t to give Protestants absolution

another example

As a Protestant who wishes to stay focused on the Lord, may I confess my sins to a priest in order to do so?
R:
The thing that is really getting me is that John seems to be either contradicting himself or Jesus.

I appreciate all answers!
No contradiction at all…except with the person you’re speaking with
 
In the Old Testament, **God **Himself set up the requirement for man to go to the priest to have his sins forgiven. Lev. 4:31 and 35. “Thus the priest shall make atonement for the man’s sin, and it will be forgiven.”

Nothing has changed in the New Testament, but rather than sacrifice an animal, Jesus is now the perfect sacrifice, but he also set up the requirement to go to the priest, within the John 20:23 scripture. How can one’s sins be forgiven, unless the priest “hears” what they are, and in the name of God, absolves him?
The priest in the old testament practiced Judaism, so they aren’t the same as a catholic priest.

Jesus is now our high priest in heaven we can go directly to him and ask forgiveness. The only reason someone might want to go to a priest is so they can have someone affirm that God has forgiven them. Not everyone needs to be reaffirmed that God hears our request, many people have enough faith to believe God hears our prayers.
 
The priest in the old testament practiced Judaism, so they aren’t the same as a catholic priest.

Jesus is now our high priest in heaven we can go directly to him and ask forgiveness. The only reason someone might want to go to a priest is so they can have someone affirm that God has forgiven them. Not everyone needs to be reaffirmed that God hears our request, many people have enough faith to believe God hears our prayers.
Jesus neither establishes useless or redundant sacraments. They do exactly what Jesus intended them to do.
 
In any case, if you look back at the thread, you’ll see that my “scholars suggest that…” claim is in the context of placing one’s hand on the sacrifice, not of aural confession.
One other source, also from a Jewish scholar, who affirms what I have said – that it was indeed aural confession! Chapter 5:
In all private sacrifices, except firstlings, tithes, and the Paschal lamb, hands were laid on, and while doing so, the following prayer was repeated: “I entreat, O Jehovah: I have sinned, I have done perversely, I have rebelled,** I have committed (naming the sin, trespass**, or in case of a burnt-offering, the breach of positive or negative command); but I return in repentance, and let this be for my atonement.”
I have seen many sources of this prayer on the internet, so it can hardly be a matter of guesswork or speculation, but well known in the Jewish community, and used particularly in sin offerings.

Another excellent source is The Miracle of the Scarlet Thread, pg.98, which states:
“As you lay your hand son the offering identifying yourself with it, you confess your particular sin.” Again the same prayer is repeated as was quoted above, O Jehovah, etc. So now I have provided three sources that all say the same thing.
Right – the 1906 Catholic Encyclopedia. I’m giving slightly more up-to-date -]sources/-] source.
This is a reputable source that is referenced even here at CAF in the Library. It shows an attitude of superiority to dismiss this source in favor of your book, which you elevate to a be-all, end-all dogmatism that accepts no other opinion but your own.
This is true; I certainly like to debate. 😉
Oh, wait – I have provided my -]sources/-] source, and you haven’t offered any contradiction to mine. Oops…! 😉
I did offer contradiction and opposition, but you chose to spin it with subterfuge, as is your modus operandi. My better sense tells me I am wasting my time here.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top