Priest using B.S word during confession

  • Thread starter Thread starter water
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

water

Guest
What do you say about a priest using these words “Excuse my language but that is B.S.” during a confession?

To me, this is unbelievable.

Do you think this is acceptable for any reason at all?
 
There’s a strong possibility that what you were saying WAS BS. Did you consider that?

One holy abbot said in a conference, “Whether you cover it with ketsup or bechamel, bs remains bs.”

In one of his epistles, St. Paul compared something with “dung.” The Greek word is "skata, " which is cognate to the English word.
 
There are other words he could have used. Even if he felt it was ‘bs,’ he could have used a number of words to convey that.
 
What do you say about a priest using these words “Excuse my language but that is B.S.” during a confession?

To me, this is unbelievable.

Do you think this is acceptable for any reason at all?
When I was six or seven, I went to an event sponsored by McDonald’s. Ronald McDonald the clown was there, riding a little bicycle around and doing tricks. Suddenly, he hit a rock or some bit of trash and slipped off the seat, landing spread legged on the cross bar of the bicycle. He said a word quite a bit more offensive than, “B.S.”.

At that moment, I realized there was a real person inside the clown suit. It took me quite a few years longer to figure out the same thing about clerical apparel.

Paul
 
When I was six or seven, I went to an event sponsored by McDonald’s. Ronald McDonald the clown was there, riding a little bicycle around and doing tricks. Suddenly, he hit a rock or some bit of trash and slipped off the seat, landing spread legged on the cross bar of the bicycle. He said a word quite a bit more offensive than, “B.S.”.

At that moment, I realized there was a real person inside the clown suit. It took me quite a few years longer to figure out the same thing about clerical apparel.

Paul
You know, I can’t blame him for that. That sounds unbelievably painful. You actually have me shuddering imagining that right here.

In other words:

Clown goes :eek: , I go :eek: :eek: 😃
 
I’m always just pleased not to have to go to confession to someone like the Blessed Padre Pio, who was known to slam the confessional slide shut in someone’s face, or tell them to come back when they’re sorry, or to tell them they’ve forgotten some sins. I’d especially hate to be one of the one’s he kicked out, since they probably waited in line for hours to get in to confession with him.

All in all, I’m just happy no priest has kicked me out of the confessional yet!
 
I think that if it were a male in confession, and he was trying to dodge, weave, and spin his way around owning-up to some sin or his own responsibility, it would certainly be appropriate for a priest to use a bit of “male language” to get his attention. On the other hand, if it were Mother Superior’s confession, not so much.
 
I’m always just pleased not to have to go to confession to someone like the Blessed Padre Pio, who was known to slam the confessional slide shut in someone’s face, or tell them to come back when they’re sorry, or to tell them they’ve forgotten some sins. I’d especially hate to be one of the one’s he kicked out, since they probably waited in line for hours to get in to confession with him.

All in all, I’m just happy no priest has kicked me out of the confessional yet!
How can a priest know without a doubt, if someone is NOT truly contrite? I have always wondered that.
 
I don’t use those words as a lay person.Does that make me a good person? Not always. Does that make him a “bad” priest? No, but a little tact should be expected from a man who is in the person of Christ while representing the Church. C’mon priests, use a little common sense…teachccd
 
When I was six or seven, I went to an event sponsored by McDonald’s. Ronald McDonald the clown was there, riding a little bicycle around and doing tricks. Suddenly, he hit a rock or some bit of trash and slipped off the seat, landing spread legged on the cross bar of the bicycle. He said a word quite a bit more offensive than, “B.S.”.
LMAO!!

Thanks, I needed that laugh!

Cheers!
 
I don’t use those words as a lay person.Does that make me a good person? Not always. Does that make him a “bad” priest? No, but a little tact should be expected from a man who is in the person of Christ while representing the Church. C’mon priests, use a little common sense…teachccd
My thoughts.
 
How can a priest know without a doubt, if someone is NOT truly contrite? I have always wondered that.
They can’t; that’s why absolution is seldom refused. Padre Pio, however, was given the gift of being able to read hearts. And from what I have I read, he was often impatient with impenitent sinners, and with those who covered up sins, withheld sins, or made excuses. Don’t know if he ever used the BS word, but it would hardly seem out of character.
 
There’s a strong possibility that what you were saying WAS BS. Did you consider that?

One holy abbot said in a conference, “Whether you cover it with ketsup or bechamel, bs remains bs.”

In one of his epistles, St. Paul compared something with “dung.” The Greek word is "skata, " which is cognate to the English word.
I agree. Didn’t Jesus even talk about the latrine in one of the Gospels? Mark 7:19? Crude language was used in the time of our Lord and probably used to make a point. I believe the priest was calling a spade a spade and trying to cut through the bull. Give him the benefit of the doubt…
 
What do you say about a priest using these words “Excuse my language but that is B.S.” during a confession?

To me, this is unbelievable.

Do you think this is acceptable for any reason at all?
Depending on the penitent, that might be a mild expression for describing what he or she was trying to pull with the truth. The priest might have simply been at a loss for other words that gave the sense he needed to express. If the confession was that unacceptable, then feedback in kind would be appropriate, yes. The most ready example I could think of would be a penitent who was trying to blame his or her sins on someone else. That, to be blunt, would be B.S., yes. He or she would deserve to hear that in just such certain terms.

As a general rule, it is a bad idea to second-guess confessors from reports that penitents come out with. That is the job of their bishops, when it needs to happen at all. How can we listen to talk behind a priest’s back, when the priest would be kept from the seal from defending himself from his accuser, even if he were present?
 
It wasn’t me in the confession, but not to say in detail…my friend is a girl and she thought she committed a sin for doing something that is not. The priest used the word “B.S” in stead of the word “No” to her question.

Imagine a priest say that during homily or consecration. 🤷

No matter how the situation is, priest should not use that word especially during a sacrament.

Is there any priest here using “BS” during confession here on CAF? 😃
 
It wasn’t me in the confession, but not to say in detail…my friend is a girl and she thought she committed a sin for doing something that is not. The priest used the word “B.S” in stead of the word “No” to her question.

Imagine a priest say that during homily or consecration. 🤷

No matter how the situation is, priest should not use that word especially during a sacrament.

Is there any priest here using “BS” during confession here on CAF? 😃
K to be clear, did the priest actually say the words “bull s—” or did he just say the letters “bs”?
 
They can’t; that’s why absolution is seldom refused. Padre Pio, however, was given the gift of being able to read hearts. And from what I have I read, he was often impatient with impenitent sinners, and with those who covered up sins, withheld sins, or made excuses. Don’t know if he ever used the BS word, but it would hardly seem out of character.
I’ve read that he did worse - that he actually slapped people once or twice. In charity to the departed Saint Pio, we’d better assume they REALLY deserved it - perhaps they threatened violence against him first or something.
 
I agree. Didn’t Jesus even talk about the latrine in one of the Gospels? Mark 7:19? Crude language was used in the time of our Lord and probably used to make a point. I believe the priest was calling a spade a spade and trying to cut through the bull. Give him the benefit of the doubt…
Women were considered property back then as well.😉 There is no excuse for a priest to use that kind of language. There are many ways to make a point. I’ve left confessors that scared the daylights out of me without using such language. It’s called tact and priests should refrain from using foul language in the confessional. That’s my :twocents: …teachccd
 
To the OP, I would say under certain circumstances, this would be acceptable.

Although, one time, a priest said something very nasty to a relative of mine and she came out of the confessional in tears.
 
To the OP, I would say under certain circumstances, this would be acceptable.

Although, one time, a priest said something very nasty to a relative of mine and she came out of the confessional in tears.
Why? Perhaps, as some other posters mentioned, she deserved it. Really?? That’s ridiculous. Priests need to be **pastoral **and not condeming. Nor should they use foul language in the confessional. This could never enhance the Sacrament. So cut the nonsense…teachccd 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top