N
Needanswers
Guest
Can a celibate man faithful to the teachings of the church but with same sex attraction become a priest?
Thanks
Thanks
You can find the whole article here vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccatheduc/documents/rc_con_ccatheduc_doc_20051104_istruzione_en.htmlDeep-seated homosexual *tendencies, *which are found in a number of men and women, are also objectively disordered and, for those same people, often constitute a trial. Such persons must be accepted with respect and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. They are called to fulfil God’s will in their lives and to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord’s Cross the difficulties they may encounter.
In the light of such teaching, this Dicastery, in accord with the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, believes it necessary to state clearly that the Church, while profoundly respecting the persons in question, cannot admit to the seminary or to holy orders those who practise homosexuality, present deep-seated homosexual tendencies or support the so-called “gay culture”.
Such persons, in fact, find themselves in a situation that gravely hinders them from relating correctly to men and women. One must in no way overlook the negative consequences that can derive from the ordination of persons with deep-seated homosexual tendencies.
Different, however, would be the case in which one were dealing with homosexual tendencies that were only the expression of a transitory problem - for example, that of an adolescence not yet superseded. Nevertheless, such tendencies must be clearly overcome at least three years before ordination to the diaconate.
Just to add to that, I’ve heard of heterosexual priests who have problems with chastity, so it’s not a homosexual issue.Years ago, a lot of Homosexual men flocked to the priesthood, to use it for a cloak,The Church was full of them, now that it`s ok to be out, the Church is getting no vocations. I have seen many effeminate priests, in my time. I am not condemning them, I am sure some of them were living chastely, while others were not. While they were homosexual, I am sure each of them did a lot of good works. I am not condemning them for something that is not their fault. Just my theory
This is addressed in Fr. Benedict Groeschel’s book, The Courage to be Chaste.Can a celibate man faithful to the teachings of the church but with same sex attraction become a priest?
Thanks
You are absolutely right, I have heard of Priests having flings with parishioners even, however, they do have a lonely life, sometimes they fall, itJust to add to that, I’ve heard of heterosexual priests who have problems with chastity, so it’s not a homosexual issue.
s only human frailty, after all they are men, just because they are ordained doesnt mean they are automatically freed of human desires, & desire for companionshipRecent church documents have said that people with “deep-seated homosexual tendencies” are not to be admitted to holy orders. A few years ago- before the document was released- but was highly anticipated, I thought this was unfair. I imagine my posts on this topic from around that time can still be found in the archives of this forum. I thought this approach would shut out people who could really benefit from the fraternity that I imagine one finds in the seminary (and isn’t likely to find anywhere else). As the years went by, I thought about this- and I changed my mind. People who struggle with homosexual tendencies generally have issues relating appropriately to women and to other men. We don’t just call priests “father” for no reason- the priest really is a father figure. That’s not a role a woman can fulfill. That’s not a role that anyone who does not clearly understand and internalize the concept of fatherly/priestly sacrifice can fulfill.Can a celibate man faithful to the teachings of the church but with same sex attraction become a priest?
Thanks
It depends. The man will undergo discernment with a spiritual director to ascertain just how “deep” the tendencies are and if there are any issues.Can a celibate man faithful to the teachings of the church but with same sex attraction become a priest?
Thanks
It probably refers to possible homosexual activity and exhibited mannerisms.How long ago the homosexual activity has taken place, perhaps the committment to which the candidate is willing to give up that lifestyle and not seek it out at some future point. Etc.What does “deep seated homosexual tendencies” exactly mean? Does this refer to mere attraction?
Thanks
Yes, Since it is disordered from the Eternal Father’s design for Human Beings. There are many, many success stories of persons over coming homosexuality. At that point it may be a case of discernment. Keep in mind the Church teaches respect for all persons with this affliction/disorder.What does “deep seated homosexual tendencies” exactly mean? Does this refer to mere attraction?
Thanks
If it is determined that he has the ability to do so, yes. That is a decision of his formation directors.Can a celibate man faithful to the teachings of the church but with same sex attraction become a priest?
Thanks
“Just your theory” is a rewrite of history. One major reason for the decline in priestly vocations during the '90’s was that so many seminaries had between 60 and 75% gay candidates in them – many of whom were overtly acting out their sexual orientation, “celebrating” it, and advocating for it. Weird to be a minority in what should be and should have been a majority (i.e., celibate/chaste) environment. It is very demoralizing to straight, celibate priests to live in such an environment. They want brothers they can relate to and whom they also see as postive role models to emulate. Not to mention the existence of justice and equality.Years ago, a lot of Homosexual men flocked to the priesthood, to use it for a cloak,The Church was full of them, now that it`s ok to be out, the Church is getting no vocations.
We used to be treated to a bunch of these in my diocese. I have no idea if they were homosexual or not but the effeminate acts got real old, real quick. I found it to be rather revolting to say the least…Years ago, a lot of Homosexual men flocked to the priesthood, to use it for a cloak,The Church was full of them, now that it`s ok to be out, the Church is getting no vocations. I have seen many effeminate priests, in my time. I am not condemning them, I am sure some of them were living chastely, while others were not. While they were homosexual, I am sure each of them did a lot of good works. I am not condemning them for something that is not their fault. Just my theory
Maybe not but it’s a repulsive trait in any man…\ I have seen many effeminate priests, in my time.\
Effeminacy is NOT the same thing as homosexuality, nor do they go together.