N
NoWhereMan
Guest
Who knows for what real reasons a man enters the priesthood, hopefully it`s for the right reasonsI agree with your theory. I do think that the majority entered the priesthood with the highest intentions.
Who knows for what real reasons a man enters the priesthood, hopefully it`s for the right reasonsI agree with your theory. I do think that the majority entered the priesthood with the highest intentions.
Interesting. So the junior has to chose among the formattors who will be his spiritual director. So if a junior is having some kind of struggle, not just homosexual tendencies, but any other kind of struggle, who is that information revealed to? To the whole formation team or to his spiritual director?You only have one spiritual director. Everyone on the formation team is able to serve as a spiritual director, yes. But the seminarian (for seculars) or the junior (for religious) selects one of them as his spiritual director. I think that’s what you’re asking.
As to reporting to the bishop. Every diocese has its own procedure. Generally it is pretty standard. The team dicusses the candidate and the report is sent by the rector to the bishop.
In religious houses the team discusses the candidate and sends the report to the major superior. Among religious the bishop has no role in the decision to ordain or not. He must ordain whomever the major superior calls forth for Holy Orders. This sounds more harsh than what it is. The fact is that religious are not incardinated into a diocese. Therefore, we are not under the jurisdiction of any bishop. Our major superior is the Ordinary, even if he’s not a priest. The law of the Church is that the Ordinary calls you to Holy Orders. As I said before, Christ calls through either the bishop or the major superior, no one else.
As to matters of forum, the spiritual director of the individual is the person who is bound to silence, as is his confessor.
Does this clarify the point?
Fraternally,
Br. JR, OSF![]()
If a man is faithful to the teachings of the Church and has a true calling to celibacy, then he necessarily does not possess same-sex attractions.Can a celibate man faithful to the teachings of the church but with same sex attraction become a priest?
Thanks
So it’s possible for a heterosexual priest to overcome sexual temptation but it is impossible for a person with SSA to overcome sexual temptation by the grace of God? Are you saying that it is impossible for a person with SSA to ever relate to both genders in a normal way?I’m joining this thread late, but I’ve read each message at least once. What is shocking to me is:
No one has mentioned Pope John XXIII’s teaching about ordaining homosexuals:
1961: According to a Vatican document approved by Pope John XXIII on 1961-JAN-23 "Advancement to religious vows and ordination should be barred to those who are afflicted with evil tendencies to homosexuality or pederasty, since for them the common life and the priestly ministry would constitute serious dangers."
Permitting homosexuals to enter the Seminary where they will live in close proximity to men only, is tantamount to letting a heterosexual man live for years in a Convent filled with nuns.
You might also notice Pope John’s reference to Pederasty. This past sexual abuse crisis was not one of “pedophilia” as many of the members of the media have named it. It was one of Pederasty, one of homosexual priests preying upon young boys. The Boy Scouts dealt with it with courage & hopefully, we will do the same.
I pray that our hierarchy are faithful to Rome, this time. They weren’t in 1961 when the Pope forbid ordination of gays. I’m ashamed to admit it now, but I thought…in the
60’s…that ordination was a good answer for gay Catholic men, but I’m no longer so naive. I have 2 thirteen year old grandsons in Catholic school right now. I pray that the hierarchy in this country are obedient this time around.
Several of you have been taking Pope Benedict’s document apart & substituting what he really said with what you would have preferred him to say. His wishes can be simply understood, by those who WANT to understand them. He wants a priesthood of psychosexually healthy heterosexual men, who can relate to both genders in a normal way & who are good role models for our young boys.
Elizabeth502 gave some percentages. I don’t know if they are correct or not. What I do know is that our priesthood is disproportionately gay. I’ve heard figures that range from 30%- 75%. Niether of these figures are good. The gay population in this country is said to be 3% & 30% gay to straight men in our priesthood??? Something is very wrong about this.
I realize that most men & women who are affected with SSA., would not hurt a child. I also feel compassion for people with this disorder, especially Catholicfs. In order for them to be true to their faith they must live a celibate life. That’s got to be hard & sometimes very lonely. Still, no one has a “right” to become a priest. I’m a woman & I wouldn’t be eligile to become a priest, nor do I believe that people suffering from chronic depression, anxiety disorders, men affected with Bipolar tendencies, etc, should become priests. However, I also believe that all of us can play our part within the Church. We all have our talents…whether they be in the field of music, fundraising, organizing. We can be on the perpetual adoration list, or simply pray for our parish & our fellow parishioners.
Well I don’t know if CradleCath is saying that, but that’s not how I read JR’s description of the examination process for those asking to be accepted into seminary. (And what distinguishes some of those with SSA to be accepted, and others with SSA to be rejected. It refers to the “deep-seatedness” of some so inclined, which translates to something holistic, comprehensive, & intransigeant about those tendencies. It’s an exclusive and fundamental attraction which affects one’s psyche enough that it interferes with the genuine impartiality required of someone in the active priesthood.) One can hardly make a blanket statement that all those affected with SSA are like that; clearly they’re not. For some, it’s an essential part of how they relate generally; for others, they remain spiritual lovers of men and women, both.So it’s possible for a heterosexual priest to overcome sexual temptation but it is impossible for a person with SSA to overcome sexual temptation by the grace of God? Are you saying that it is impossible for a person with SSA to ever relate to both genders in a normal way?
s all about& yes like someone said in their post, they can act any way they want & we cant do a thing about it. Don`t think all homosexuals are effeminate though, they are the minority, there are more extremely masculine men who are homosexual, than effeminate onesThis is absolutely untrue. It is NOT asexual. Priests are spiritual FATHERS. In order to be capable of spiritual fatherhood, one must be able to be a physical father.Well
Heterosexual priests do not enter seminary “in order to” identify with other heterosexual men. That’s absurd. (And what’s the point?) Anyone entering seminary or religious life for the purpose of having a sexual identity catharsis and/or dwelling on sexual identity is in the wrong place. Because listen carefully: the Catholic seminary (as opposed to those men coming in as ordained from other traditions and with wives) is, like female religious life, asexual.
.)
With all due respect, these are patently absurd statements.\This is absolutely untrue. It is NOT asexual. Priests are spiritual FATHERS. In order to be capable of spiritual fatherhood, one must be able to be a physical father.\
**Male homosexuals have done this all the time. Didn’t you know this?
You seem to be saying that male infertility would be a bar to ordination**. It’s not.
To drag strangers into the conversation, Someone greater than anyone who posts to these blogs said, “That which is born of the flesh is flesh. That which is born of the spirit is spirit.”
There is no connection between physical and spiritual paternity.
Finally, the First Person of the Trinity is our spiritual Father, but in the general order of things does NOT reproduce physically by sexual means, contrary to what the Mormonoids teach.
Would you like to try again?
Kudos - good points.And let me just add that for those of us who know our church history and have some first-hand knowledge of the way things “used to be,” this formation direction is not all that “new” in the following sense: candidates were always examined, previously, for acceptability and fit. Possibly different standards were used at different times, but one thing has remained consistent: Anyone with “a [fundamental] impediment” is not a fit candidate for any form of religious life. (Not that different from marriage, btw.)
Women religious candidates who, as hopeful postulants, were too attached to the opposite sex, too attached to material items, too attached to independence disqualified themselves from the vows of chastity, poverty, and obedience. The point is, religious life requires divestiture from attachments, period. If you’re not ready for detachment, and to instead embrace the path of attachment to Christ, you’re not a fit candidate. Whether that means a political agenda or a personal psychological agenda, a sexual agenda, whatever.
I have no idea how you got the idea that I said the above. I said what I said:So it’s possible for a heterosexual priest to overcome sexual temptation but it is impossible for a person with SSA to overcome sexual temptation by the grace of God? Are you saying that it is impossible for a person with SSA to ever relate to both genders in a normal way?
Thanks