P
Presence
Guest
This person is commenting on the reason for priestly celibacy in the Church in the most tactful manner they can manage I presume. I was wondering if I could have some more enlightened Catholics respond to some of the things mentioned in the quote above. I’m especially curious about what they said concerning that the bible may have been edited to justify priestly celibacy?If I remember my Church history correctly, the rule was instituted during the First Crusade, when local priests objected to whipping up the faithful for a holy war that had more to do with sending troublemaking nobles elsewhere than anything having to do with Jesus. In other words, think of what0 the Middle East has been going through in the past few decades; that was Christendom back then, with troublemakers being exported to do their thing in other lands in the name of God. The Pope declared that priests’ first duty was to the Church and to the Pope, and that if families got in the way of a good Crusade then priests wouldn’t be able to have families. The whole “Jesus was single and so you need to be too” thing was slapped on as justification (and there are suspicions in some circles that the Bible may have been edited to reflect this idea). Before this time, the only ones who were expected to be celibate were the ascetics. To my knowledge, there was never an invocation of Papal infallibility on this issue, and it has always been enforced as a matter of discipline rather than theology.