Priests in disagreement

  • Thread starter Thread starter Marc92
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m the first person I think of when it comes to tactless honesty, but that stood out like a sore thumb. This person is already on the edge of leaving the church and not knowing them well enough to know if they need a push or a pull it’s usually best to just give facts and to treat them like scared bunnies. Always be honest, of course, but with a tact that, at least I, typically lack.
 
Wouldn’t speaking with each other violate the Seal of Confession because the priests would have to speak also about the act, sinful or not, committed?
 
I have no idea, but for priests to discuss the sins of a penitent does not seem appropriate to me. But what do I, a non-Catholic, know? Perhaps our priest on CAF can answer that question.
 
The point is that these two priests are giving two opposing answers and guidance!

That’s what’s inappropriate! And I’m assuming the OP is being sincere with what he has expressed.

I’m not insulting the OP, but encouraging not to think that this situation should be cause to leave Holy Eucharist. And in order to do that, we have to be mature and competent to overcome.

Seeking more priests isnt going to help, unless the two priests are able to have an open conversation about it.

Hiding behind the seal of confession is not legitimate when the OP is willing to open the issue with both. He said it is the same content with both priests.
 
They may not agree to meet. It is possible they have differing views on a given subject and are aware of the others opinion. If this is known to each of them there would be little reason to meet and show the disagreement in front of a parishioner.

That is why we are fortunate to have the church teaching to check.
 
Last edited:
Marc —

In the years I’ve been on CAF, I’ve found Fr. Edward’s posts to be helpful, thoughtful, and knowledgeable. Please PM him about this. Priests are human and make mistakes; they disagree with one another, and they are subject to all the flaws that the rest of us have. So I suspect that one of the priests you’re dealing with has made a mistake or miscommunicated or something (or you’ve misunderstood one or both of them, but we can’t fix that). PM with Fr. Edward and see what he can do to help out.
 
Aside from PM’ing Father Edward for help with this problem, I would take anything else posted here with a huge grain of salt. As a matter of fact, I would probably ignore most of it. The internet is not the place to find answers for a question such as this.
 
Aside from PM’ing Father Edward for help with this problem, I would take anything else posted here with a huge grain of salt. As a matter of fact, I would probably ignore most of it. The internet is not the place to find answers for a question such as this.
I would modify this slightly. CAF is a good place to come to to find help finding sources. You should not rely on anonymous Internet postings in forming your conscience; but you can try coming here to get good suggestions for primary material to help you form your conscience. For example, one poster might say “You’re fine! See the Catechism paragraph thus-and-so!” while another says “You’re wrong! See the Catechism paragraph such-and-such!” One might say your problem is resolved by the Catechism; another, by canon law; a third, by Scripture; a fourth, by prayer; and a fifth, by consultation with a friend, a family member, a spiritual advisor, a priest, or a bishop. Whatever they say, you should then look to the actual sources to see what they say; pray about it; and then form your conscience appropriately. And then check to see how your answer compares to Church teaching. It’s a difficult process but well worth it in the end.

CAF is a good place to start your search. Just don’t end here.
 
Funny how it’s always about asking a priest… then when priests are in conflict, its “ask another priest”

I dont doubt Fr. Edward would give orthodox advice either. But the OP still needs to be affirmed through actual Catholic Teaching.

Plus, one of these priests may not allow him Communion (or one may allow when he shouldnt), so the Bishop may need to be involved anyway.

It’s unfortunate for sure! And I’ve experienced this very kind of thing personally. So my advice is not without sympathy.
 
Last edited:
Over my years as a Catholic, when a sin is a grave sin, the negative effects of the sin are felt deeply, leaving no doubt about the graveness of it.

Perhaps, you need to follow your conscience and of course, consult the Catechism.
 
I edited the comment out for other’s sake.

But if I was the OP, I would not be offended with that advice.

“Do unto others as you would have done to you.”

I would want someone to tell me the same. Especially in light of the rest of my comments.
 
Last edited:
What did you say and how did you say it? That makes a difference. In next confession, consider mentioning that difference to either or both of the priests. If you cannot be absolved, there may be a problem with your intent to amend your life, or a lack of contrition. Can think of no other reason to deny absolution.
 
I’m confused. You’re not asking IF you’re living in sin… just why the priests can’t agree? If you are sure you are living in sin (thereby making absolution impossible untilthe situation is changed), then why are you continuing to go to confession before fixing the living situation? If you are sure you are not living in sin, then why do you get in line to confess to the priest who withholds absolution?
 
It could be (without assuming) a situation of remarriage.
Whatever it is, the OP seems to feel he KNOWS if he’s in sin or not & he’s just bothered the priests can’t agree. I’m sorry his faith is shaken by it all. As we see in the news too often - not every priest is making great decisions all the time. I feel if the OP knows the status of his own sin he needs to pick one of those priests for confession and just pray for the other one.
 
Well one will be able to support his position with resources while the other wont.

I agree that the OP needs to be mature and competent to search, learn, and discern.

I gave that advice, though perhaps in the negative , and was criticized as uncharitable.
 
Last edited:
Huge problem with lack of expression online 😉 I’ve had the same problem 😦
 
Honestly, I personally find a another parish, in another town a few towns over, and a place where I can confess behind a screen.

Perhaps the priest who won’t absolve you has a point worth listening to and reflecting on. Also, priests are human and you are unlikely to get these two priests to agree.

Like others have said, this is not a reason to leave the Catholic church.
 
Last edited:
Funny how it’s always about asking a priest… then when priests are in conflict, its “ask another priest”

I dont doubt Fr. Edward would give orthodox advice either. But the OP still needs to be affirmed through actual Catholic Teaching.
That’s the thing: Fr. Edward even said that he’ll cite sources. So the OP then isn’t left wondering “Who is this guy on the Internet telling me this? Is he even really a priest?” — OP can take Fr. Edward’s sources and check them out for him- or herself. And Fr. Edward isn’t sitting there trying to get through a long confession line; he can take the time to give a thorough answer.

And of course we’re saying to check with a third priest. If you go to two doctors about a lump in your breast and one says you need a biopsy while the other says not to worry about it, you’ll go to a third. Eventually you’ll have a consensus result. Or you’ll be led to the answer that isn’t just an oral response made on the spur of the moment.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top