Princess Stuff

  • Thread starter Thread starter ringil
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ringil

Guest
I have a three-and-a-half year old daughter, and another sex-undetermined child on the way.

Anyway, I can’t stand all this “Princess” stuff being targeted at little girls. It’s everywhere. I believe it is disempowering and is the first step to setting them up for the media onslaught that for girls, “appearance is everything”.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?
 
Not to mention every princess is completely useless until her man comes and saves her. Even the “strong” ones like Belle are so male dependent that they tolerate outright abusive behavior. Or Jasmine, who was “strong” but then forgave downright sociopathic behavior out of her man, who fell in love with her based on appearance alone.
 
I have a three-and-a-half year old daughter, and another sex-undetermined child on the way.

Anyway, I can’t stand all this “Princess” stuff being targeted at little girls. It’s everywhere. I believe it is disempowering and is the first step to setting them up for the media onslaught that for girls, “appearance is everything”.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?
You could always shoot for the Joan of Arc angle instead.
 
I share all those concerns and decided my daughter would have a better foundation than that.
We simply avoided EVERYTHING “princess” the first few years and at 3, when she started noticing them everywhere, we had the big talk about what the world tells us a princess is: sparkles, long lashes, fancy dresses, long hair (just saying " beauty" wouldn’t have driven the point home that well ) and what God’s princesses are like…
She decided she wants to be God’s princess but all the pink and sparkles and such still, understandably, catch her eye. She is now anti-princesses just like us but she understands that other girls like them and if their parents allow it than she can’t criticize them for having everything princess. She actually gets our frustration because she sees how hard it is to find non-princess girly stuff and even she finds it ridiculous that of all the pretty things girls like, this is all that’s being sold.
Not easy but we’re on 5,5 yrs of princess-free parenting.
 
I have a two and a half year old little girl, and I fully agree with you. It isn’t just princesses from fairy tales… It’s a whole decoration movement. Pink pillows in the shape of a crown, with the word ‘Princess’ stitched into it. Lamps and bedsheets and curtains all with dangling pink plastic jewels and crowns, covered with the word “princess”. I personally don’t like it. Not even a little. But, our little girl’s room was done up in a North Woods theme with the cutest squirrels, raccoons, moose, deer, foxes, birds, pine cones, leaves… the whole Princess theme just doesn’t fit. 🙂
 
I have a three-and-a-half year old daughter, and another sex-undetermined child on the way.

Anyway, I can’t stand all this “Princess” stuff being targeted at little girls. It’s everywhere. I believe it is disempowering and is the first step to setting them up for the media onslaught that for girls, “appearance is everything”.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?
🤷 I am not much concerned with princesses.

I grew up in a disney watching home. Never felt much influenced by princesses in general (we had them all). (It probably helped spur my love for fantasy fiction however). I was in fact a very big tomboy early on, and lasting much longer than my sisters’ tomboyishness. Instead I later had to fight the empowered woman message (that I received everywhere from books to media, and even my own mother). I am not saying that being ‘empowered’ is bad per se, but the way it is presented in modern society, is that empowered women use birth control because they have power over their bodies, and they can choose abortion, that they can have it all, or at least a high powered career, and that being a wife and mother is lesser work, unfit for an empowered female. That women are the same as men. This was the message I received as a young girl not that long ago, (I graduated highschool in 2004). This I really had to fight, or my marriage would have been a disaster, I did not particularly want children when I was preparing for marriage, but as I was consciously fighting the above mindset, I was able to accept that children were part of the married vocation. (I was lucky I grew up in a religious home in an orthodox parish). So no, I have no strong feelings on princesses in general or Disney in particular.
 
My daughter has grown up “loving” the princesses . . . she is now 7, and still wants any new princess movie or cartoon for her birthday or holiday. Every Halloween she has been a princess until this year. I really haven’t had an issue with it, and don’t feel it has had any negative impact on her. She is a normal kid, and I think all of the princess stuff was a part of her growth and imagination. That’s it. I think the key is that we as parents help them understand reality as they get older.
 
I loved Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, et. al., as a child. I liked girly things, girly colors, and girly pursuits. But I also liked (and still do) football and math.

I do not believe I am particularly worse for the wear. I would hardly categorize myself as disempowered or weak. Nor do I see anything wrong with strong male role models and traditional male/female roles. One need not abandon femininity to be strong and successful.

I don’t think dressing up as a princess and painting your room pink when you are 3 will doom you.

IMHO
 
Not to mention every princess is completely useless until her man comes and saves her. Even the “strong” ones like Belle are so male dependent that they tolerate outright abusive behavior. Or Jasmine, who was “strong” but then forgave downright sociopathic behavior out of her man, who fell in love with her based on appearance alone.
Actually, I’m pretty sure he fell for the kallokagathia fallacy and just presumed she must have been a good woman because she was so pretty outwardly. Happens to me all the time. 😛
I have a three-and-a-half year old daughter, and another sex-undetermined child on the way.

Anyway, I can’t stand all this “Princess” stuff being targeted at little girls. It’s everywhere. I believe it is disempowering and is the first step to setting them up for the media onslaught that for girls, “appearance is everything”.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?
The problem with princesses is that a real princess pretty much doesn’t have a life of her own. She lives to serve. She attends social functions all the time, often serving as a symbol and even as the pretty face of some social undertaking, not always a particularly noble one. Then she tends to marry politically, whomever her nation seems to need her to marry, although there are exceptions, especially nowadays. After that she becomes the queen or an elder duchess, which is basically more of the same life. It’s work. Just like being a CEO is not about smoking Havanas and wearing Armani suits.

The scope and schedule of education is also pretty rigorous compared to normal school if you look at biographical works and the like. Not to mention expectations are much higher.
I loved Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, et. al., as a child. I liked girly things, girly colors, and girly pursuits. But I also liked (and still do) football and math.

I do not believe I am particularly worse for the wear. I would hardly categorize myself as disempowered or weak. Nor do I see anything wrong with strong male role models and traditional male/female roles. One need not abandon femininity to be strong and successful.

**I don’t think dressing up as a princess and painting your room pink when you are 3 will doom you.
**
IMHO
One good thing is that women can gain confidence from being treated well and lovingly as girls, being more prepared to refuse to accept jerk behaviours from men later in their lives. It’s from their father that they get the pattern of how a man treats a woman. Then again, sometimes it’s overdone and the effect is a young woman used to treating other people, especially men, as service staff, thinking she’s entitled to mistreat people, shortchange them, lie (white or not) or just cut them out of the loop because she > you.
 
See, when I complain about all of the princess stuff, I am not even thinking about Disney. I don’t mind the Disney princesses and their respective stories. I was thinking more along the lines of the ‘Princess’ and ‘Diva’ and ‘Brat’ decorations that are all over the place.
 
See, when I complain about all of the princess stuff, I am not even thinking about Disney. I don’t mind the Disney princesses and their respective stories. I was thinking more along the lines of the ‘Princess’ and ‘Diva’ and ‘Brat’ decorations that are all over the place.
Brat => spank. First association. 😉 Just kidding of course.
 
Do you have any boys? I had two sons. How do you armor them against the brainwashed princess type. Mine seem sort of immune, but then, I was never a princess I think. Just wondering how this works out with brothers and sisiters.
 
I try to avoid buying themed clothes for my daughter because 1) I hate paying a company to advertise for them, and 2) I think she’s too little for some of the type of clothes that the image comes on. As for princess ‘stuff’ I generally try to buy gender neutral since we are hoping to expand our family and I don’t want to have all pink toys. We do have a princess chair, trike,and silverware, though. I think, like everything else, moderation is key. Go overboard and the ‘princess’ mentality can become ingrained but having items here and there is no big deal.
 
I personally have no problem with “Princess stuff” for my now almost 4 little girl. Because I make sure she has other toys to play with and movies to watch. Currently she likes My Little Pony better than Princess, but she is dressing like Rapunzel for halloween because that is what she picked out (Tangled is her favorite movie). She also likes trucks, Hotwheels cars, Cars the movie, and Tomas the train and she has no little brothers!
 
Let it be her choice. If she’s never interested in the princessey stuff, fine. If she is, though, then teach her what a Catholic princess is called to be. After all, if a little girl is told she is not going to be allowed to do the “princess” thing, the message is often “because you aren’t exactly princess material.” That’s not exactly the message that avoiding the princess thing is meant to convey, but that can be what it feels like! The desire to be a princess, after all, is only a desire to be special. Well, fine… but teach her what that means.

Rather, if she gets into the whole royalty thing, let her know the royal ideal for a Christian is noblesse oblige: that is, nobility obliges personal responsibility towards the whole of the realm. Teach her about the Christian saints who came from the nobility: St. Elizabeth of Hungary, St. Margaret of Scotland, and so on.

Also, be sure to read her The Chronicles of Narnia…you’ll note that C.S. Lewis is very much amenable to the idea of royalty, but looks very much askance at Susan and her infatuation with cosmetics and shallow things like that.

It is not as if these fairy tales were written to make little girls into impossibly self-centered little wretches. The evil queen in Snow White is infatuated with being told she is beautiful, while the heroine of Beauty and the Beast is held up as an ideal because she is not bound by the looks of the man she learns to love. Mostly, though, teach her about the real queens and princesses and duchesses who are now hailed as saints…that is the nobility that gives glory to God and lasts forever.
 
When my little sister was pregnant with her first (a girl), she was adamantly against the whole “pink princess thing.” In fact, for her baby shower, she requested that princess-y gifts be avoided.
Fast Forward 1 year: My neice is now a pink princess. Her momma couldn’t resist. 😃

I think princess stuff can be cute for small girls. It seems wierd when young women decorate their college dorms that way, though. 😛
 
I understand that what OP is saying. I’m generally fascinated by depictions of women in fiction/media, good or bad. Useful depictions exist, but you have to hunt for them. As for “princess” themed stuff, I think it’s OK as long as you don’t overdo it. I was more into space-themed stuff as a kid, and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with toys you got from the boy’s section as long as the girl wants to play with them. As long as you explain to her that external beauty isn’t the most important thing and make sure she has some positive female role models in her media (even if they are princesses- Princesses Leia and Eyown come to mind), she should be fine.
 
…make sure she has some positive female role models in her media (even if they are princesses- Princesses Leia and Eyown come to mind), she should be fine.
Eowyn rocks. Or Britomart. I would love to be one of those princesses. 😃
 
Even though my real name is Odile, and I had a long career in professional ballet in a world-class company, it didn’t turn me into a waif-like, spoilt diva. Quite the contrary: I was used to hard work, and lots of it!

When I was still in New York, my late great aunt, who was a Sister of Charity, was attending an operating room nurses’ convention there. She received permission from her superior to stay with my roommate and me while in NY. After observing our lifestyle, which included fairly spartan meals, warming up and stretching early in the morning before heading to the studio, and returning late in the evening after a performance, she remarked, “Odile, you live more like a nun than I do!” She was, of course, referring to the amount of work that a professional dancer has to do.

And no, I’ve never been under any delusion that I’m a princess, a queen, a fairy, or an enchanted swan, for that matter!

There’s nothing wrong with feminine pursuits, as long as a child’s body, mind, and spirit are appropriately nurtured and educated. But if you find the color pink so sweet that you fear a diagnosis of diabetes, and little girls’ room decorations tacky, by all means decorate to suit your tastes! Possibly a more neutral color scheme, that could actually grow with a child.

FWIW, my younger sister and I were always enthralled by space exploration. Dad stenciled in constellations on our bedroom ceiling, painted the ceiling a deep blue, and painted the stars with fluorescent paint. NASA posters decorated our walls. The highlight of our one childhood trip to Florida was not Disneyworld, it was Cape Kennedy for an Apollo mission launch. There was so much space stuff in our room, you would have thought Annette and I were in astronaut training (I think we would each have given our right arms, figuratively speaking, to have actually toured a spacecraft!) Our Barbie dolls routinely got wrapped in tinfoil as a sort of ersatz spacesuit. When the late Sally Ride flew her first shuttle mission, we were thrilled (despite her orientation, my sister hacked her hair into a Sally Ride style dutchboy hairdo, much to Mom’s chagrin.) And yes, we were both good at math and science.

Mom, for whatever reason, has always been inordinately fond of plaids. So Annette and I, far from having frilly pink chiffon dresses, usually had a Sunday best dress that was blue or brown plaid, usually with some kind of sailor collar. We resembled the kids in the Madeleine series!
 
I say it could be bad sometimes, but how you as parents teach someone plays a great role in what level of importance your child will put on appearance. I played Pretty Pretty Princess growing up, played with Barbies (which set a ridiculous standard of beauty), I played with fake make-up kits, ect., but I have a healthy relationship with appearance. My Mom did a good job making sure that we treated everyone the same despite how they looked and made personality and kindness a priority and appearance as a secondary thing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top