Problem Getting A Seat At Mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter attaininggrace
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
a family came in late, and the father whispers to me “excuse me, my family always sits here…” basically asking me to move when the mass had started. I was mortified…who does that?
I think if I’d been you, I’d have been sorely tempted to reply ‘So do I’ and keep right on sitting. However, to paraphrase Aunt Em in The Wizard of Oz , being a Christian man, I can’t say it!
 
A firm glare and ”So?” with a raised eyebrow works too. Or ”I don’t understand, please explain”.
Rude people count on quietly running roughshod over you, forcing them to display their lack of manners out loud hems them in a bit.
Worst case you can always say ”Well, today your family sits elsewhere,” and smile brightly.
 
A firm glare and ”So?” with a raised eyebrow works too. Or ”I don’t understand, please explain”.
Rude people count on quietly running roughshod over you, forcing them to display their lack of manners out loud hems them in a bit.
Worst case you can always say ”Well, today your family sits elsewhere,” and smile brightly.
After work, I sometimes stop off at a restaurant I like for dinner, and I always sit in the same booth, my favorite. Sometimes it’s already taken, in which case I just sit somewhere else. One evening, I was ensconced in my favorite spot, when a rather boisterous couple came in. The hostess said ‘Any particular table?’, and the man said loudly, ‘We’ll take OUR usual booth!’. They proceeded directly to my table and stopped dead, staring at me like kids whose last piece of candy was stolen by a disliked uncle. I smiled sweetly and asked ‘Can I help you?’ They mumbled something and moved off, settling at a nearby table with many longing glances toward ‘THEIR usual spot’. Something told me they were waiting till I finished to come back and take over their favorite booth, so I took my time eating, then ordered dessert and coffee, something I normally never do. They were still there when I left the restaurant, so I’ve no doubt they eventually got ‘their’ booth, but I did wickedly enjoy making them wait. God forgive me!
 
“I want to sit where you’re sitting. Please move.” Do they do this on the bus, too? Do they do it in a movie theater? It seems very strange to me that people should have done this in a restaurant. It seems equally strange that they should do it in a church. It’s never happened to me, and in fact I don’t recall ever see it happening to anyone else.
I wonder what my reaction would be. I wouldn’t like it, that’s for sure.
 
I wonder what my reaction would be. I wouldn’t like it, that’s for sure.
That would make an interesting study. Having someone do this in a variety of circumstances to see if the place this happens makes a difference.
 
That would make an interesting study. Having someone do this in a variety of circumstances to see if the place this happens makes a difference.
I would suspect that the person being told to move would be less inclined to make a fuss about it in Church, and feel more free to do so elsewhere. But it would be interesting to see if that’s true.
 
I thought about this. What would have been really cool would be to give up the seat, and then just stand in the aisle next to them for the rest of the Mass (assuming it was crowded up front). The other thing would have been to take the statement at face value, as if it were a bit of trivia. Also:
“I’ll let you know how I like it.”
“Where are you sitting today?”
“Do you have your ticket stub?”
Just spit my coffee. 😄😄😄😄
 
40.png
BartholomewB:
I wonder what my reaction would be. I wouldn’t like it, that’s for sure.
That would make an interesting study. Having someone do this in a variety of circumstances to see if the place this happens makes a difference.
That’s actually a very good science project/social research project. Interesting thought.

All of this hassle just makes me glad I attend a military chapel. The only folks who habitually sit in the same place are a few older couples near the front, which makes sense - likely so they don’t have to stand so long in the communion line. The only thing I’ve noticed is some folks consistently sit on the same side. (I’m one of them - for some reason I prefer the left.) Most of us were “taught” first come first serve over the course of our career. Even the senior leadership that goes there follows the same rules - they just, well, sit.
 
Last edited:
“I want to sit where you’re sitting. Please move.” Do they do this on the bus, too? Do they do it in a movie theater? It seems very strange to me that people should have done this in a restaurant. It seems equally strange that they should do it in a church. It’s never happened to me, and in fact I don’t recall ever see it happening to anyone else.
I wonder what my reaction would be. I wouldn’t like it, that’s for sure.
I have a rather obvious leg brace on my left leg, and try to sit in the senior/disabled seating on the bus if possible. One day I boarded the bus, and the three-seat senior bench on the right side was full. On the other side there was just one elderly lady, but she was in the middle seat of three, with her arms spread out over the backs of the seats to either side of her, as if to say ‘Don’t even THINK about trying to sit in these seats!’ I said ‘Pardon me’, and sat in the seat to her right. She glared at me, said ‘Ugh’ a couple of times, and moved to the far left seat. After about thirty seconds she said, ‘Excuse me sir, but how old do you think I am?’ I replied, ‘I couldn’t begin to guess’. She said, ‘I’m 65. I’m a senior, and these seats are for seniors!’ I said as gently as I could, ‘They’re for the disabled, too’ and indicated my brace. She humphed and said ‘Well, you were very rude when you sat down’. I said, ‘Saying Pardon me is rude?’ She just glared. I said, ‘I’m so sorry. Do forgive me’. In a grudging tone she said, ‘Well all right. I forgive you.’ Thank goodness for that! 😁
 
:roll_eyes: What is wrong with people? First, no one offered you their seat, and then, the woman you had the misfortune of having to deal with. What a world.
 
:roll_eyes: What is wrong with people? First, no one offered you their seat, and then, the woman you had the misfortune of having to deal with. What a world.
Once I got on the bus and all the senior/disabled seats were filled. I hadn’t even reached the seats when a young girl, about sixteen, got up and moved all the way to the back of the bus, leaving her seat open. Before my stop, I made sure to thank her for what she had done.
 
In a strange city, once, when I was leaving the country after a visit, I got on a bus to the airport with all my baggage. There were no seats available and I was content to stand all the way – it wasn’t far. But near the front of the bus there was a group of army personnel in uniform, about seven or eight of them, and one of them, a young woman, got up and offered me her seat. I accepted gladly, since apart from anything else it meant I had somewhere to put my baggage.

The city was Jerusalem and I’ve always held the IDF in high regard ever since.
 
I was there before the Mass started. The people in question didn’t seem to want me to step over them either.
 
Last edited:
Thank you very much. I am trying to offer it all up!
 
Last edited:
I didn’t ask! I did just genuflect and hover! The lady looked quite stern, though.
 
Last edited:
The cathedral here is only full at Christmas and Easter, Reuben. You are lucky. How wonderful to have a full cathedral! It would be lovely to know where you are, if you don’t mind my asking.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top