Problem of Evil (again): Logic [intro]

• Thread starter Thread starter Neithan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now we move on to the suffering caused when the lion tears apart the antelope. …
Really? Repeating emotive language in an effort to support a wrongheaded idea about lion kills and animal suffering just will not do. Lions suffocate large and small prey prior to feeding.

40.png
goout:
40.png
Freddy:
40.png
OneSheep:
Yes, sometimes it is terrible and cruel, and it conflicts with the idea, in the short sight, of a benevolent God.
Glad we agree on that. Now maybe you can give us the long term benefits of being torn apart for food.
Why would being torn apart for food cause long term benefits?
Evil does not cause good.
As to the question, that’s something you’ll need to take up with Onesheep. He says there are net positives.

As to the statement, lions killing antelopes isn’t evil. There needs to be ‘evil intent’. That is, the lion must want the antelope to suffer. It obviously could care less.
Then why is it an issue?
Why are you disputing a non-issue?

40.png
Freddy:
40.png
goout:
40.png
Freddy:
40.png
OneSheep:
Yes, sometimes it is terrible and cruel, and it conflicts with the idea, in the short sight, of a benevolent God.
Glad we agree on that. Now maybe you can give us the long term benefits of being torn apart for food.
Why would being torn apart for food cause long term benefits?
Evil does not cause good.
As to the question, that’s something you’ll need to take up with Onesheep. He says there are net positives.

As to the statement, lions killing antelopes isn’t evil. There needs to be ‘evil intent’. That is, the lion must want the antelope to suffer. It obviously could care less.
Then why is it an issue?
Why are you disputing a non-issue?
There is no dispute. The requirement is for an explanation.

so why the repeated “histrionics” about tearing the “baybees to pieces”.
Histrionics? The procedure does tear the living child to pieces. Fred’s lion does not tear the living animal to pieces.
There is nothing problematic about a “morning after” pill. If you would ONLY argue about late term abortions, you might be taken seriously.
In your imaginary world you will do whatever limits your pain and maximizes your pleasure even to the point of killing your own children. Of course, those who have the morals of a rodent will not be taken seriously in this forum.

There is no dispute. The requirement is for an explanation.
I’m not sure what more there is to explain from what I said already. From our spiritual lives we can come to know a God who loves completely and unconditionally. That said, violence happens; both between people and in nature as a whole. If one believes in a beneficent God, then one is aware that there are some contradictions, but those contradictions have to do with my own limited point of view. As it stands, there is beauty and goodness to be seen in all of it, even though some occurrences are gut-wrenchingly awful to observe.

So, let’s look at premise 2 listed in the OP:
Evil exists
Evil does occur, but it does not exist. What does exist is that lions and humans have the innate capacity to do harm to others (as do bacteria, and arguably most, if not all, species on earth). I think a great question to ask is, “Am I part of the reduction of violence in the world, the violence that I can effect, in order to create a place of greater peace and harmony?” For a person of faith, one has to be patient with the fact that such harmony happens very slowly, and often looks like things are going backward, but there is a net-positive in growth toward the “Kingdom” we talk about.

Can you accept your own capacity for violence? Note: you are not required to answer that question. 🙂

Why should I consider some cherry-picked words from the bible?
Probably shouldn’t; some are not ready for Christ, yet.

What you should consider is not hijacking the thread to abortion. Or butt in on post’s about Fred’s misdirected animal sympathies.

So then as noted earlier it looks like there is a problem with Assumption 1c.

It’s clear that not everything God creates is perfect; so likewise “perfectly loving” looks suspect. Not everything is perfectly lovable; actually, only God is.

Last edited:
40.png
Vico:
The Holy Trinity could not logically eliminate moral evil and also allow for sharing in the divine nature, because to do that requires the ability to make a free will choice of charity.
But this argument is contrary to Christianity, which maintains that God has intervened in human affairs throughout history (the most obvious being sending Jesus).
You cannot claim God allows evil so that we have free will if God intervenes at times He wants to.

That is the essence of the problem. You can say God allows evil so that we have free will.
But then he gets involved anyway. If he is willing to get involved sometimes, why not all the time?
That implies God is not all-loving, as he decides who and when to help.
A person can choose not to be saved, even though the Holy Trinity grants grace for conversion.

In fact it is Catholic dogma that the Holy Trinity permits evil and also desires the salvation of all.

Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma, Ludwig Ott:
  • Despite men’s sins God truly and earnestly desires the salvation of all man. (sent. fidei proxima.) page 239
  • God gives all the just sufficient grace (gratia proxime vel remote sufliciens) for tile observation of the Divine Commandments. (De fide.) page 240
  • God gives all innocent unbelievers (infideles negativi) sufficient grace to achieve eternal salvation. (sent. certa.) page 241
  • God, by an Eternal Resolve of His will, predestines certain men, on account of their foreseen sins, to eternal rejection. (De fide.) page 245
  • The Human Will remains free under the influence of efficacious grace, which is not irresistible. (De fide.) page 246

If he would “desire” it, he would DO it. I rather doubt that there would be anyone who would object to be dragged into the beatific vision and wanted out and would choose the eternal flames instead.

The question is “HOW” can they achieve it?
Desire and will are different, so since there is the desire the Holy Trinity gives the help of graces through will, however a human could not be given the Beatific Vision since charity cannot be forced – it must be free, so it remains a desire only, for the Holy Trinity. The free will of creatures, in moral matters, allows for the expression of charity or malice. Though the expression of charity comes

How?: through willful cooperation with that grace so that there is a state of friendship with the Holy Trinity at the moment of the end of one’s life.

Last edited:
Here is what i read:
Well, are you going to say that looting would not be ended if there were no one left to loot, and also nothing to loot? Or that police brutality would not be ended, if all policemen and all suspects would be dead?

Yes, it is hard to deny that a nuclear strike would “solve” those problems. Yet it is pretty clear that it would be a very bad idea (to put it mildly).
The problem is that you either misunderstand or misquote our argument. There is no unlimited duty. But there a duty to prevent looting, brutality, etc… using any necessary and proportionate means, which does not cause more harm than good.
The argument cited in the original post does not seem to mention the word “proportionate” or anything like it.

If you want to justify your chosen pseudonym by constructing a new and better argument, feel free to do that yourself.

It is not our job to make arguments for you.
And, of course, God could have no problem to limit the harm in curtailing or removing the damage, by using simple, nonintrusive means, to weed out the psychopaths and sociopaths.
Um, as a precaution, have you made sure you would not be classified among those evil-doers yourself…? For you do not say so explicitly…
All he would need to do is “ will away ” these attitudes. Yes, it would curtail or limit the freedom for a small percentage of humanity. But since the overwhelming majority does not want to perform rape, torture, mayhem, etc… what is the problem??
What else is going to be in that list of evil deeds? Let’s investigate!
How nice it is to be able to insult others with impunity!
You know, by an interesting coincidence user “Abrosz” happened to express similar thoughts in this thread…

So, that gives me a pretext to ask: would you say that insults also belong to that list of evil deeds? Would you still say that “overwhelming majority does not want” to do anything on the list…?

And, since that user referred to rules of the forum, how about other violations of those rules? For example, what about being disrespectful to Catholic faith? Or use of multiple accounts?

Once we list the rest of evil deeds, are you sure “overwhelming majority” would be found completely innocent? Not even tempted to perform them…?

For that matter, have you considered offering some evidence to support your view about that “overwhelming majority”…? 🙂

Last edited:
40.png
Vico:
Desire and will are different, so since there is the desire the Holy Trinity gives the help of graces through will, however a human could not be given the Beatific Vision since charity cannot be forced – it must be free, so it remains a desire only, for the Holy Trinity. The free will of creatures, in moral matters, allows for the expression of charity or malice.
I doubt this, but let it be your way. I would not mind to have been created directly into heaven and bypass this vale of tears. However, a guided tour on heaven and hell would only give pertinent information, which one would choose.
How?: through willful cooperation with that grace so that there is a state of friendship with the Holy Trinity at the moment of the end of one’s life.
This is not informative. How does that willful cooperation manifest itself for an explicit atheist, who has heard the teaching, but does not accept it, because he finds it incoherent?
A guided tour on heaven and hell would not be possible, for they are states which are permanent. If one were created in a so called heaven without election of it, then it would not be a state with the Beatific Vision, therefore the Holy Trinity would not be able to share the divine nature through adoption.

Conversion is through actual grace.

The Nature of Actual Grace (Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma, page 225)
  • Actual Grace internally and directly enlightens the understanding and strengthens the will. (Sent. certa.)
Antecedent Gracee (Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma, page 226)
  • There is a supernatural intervention of God in the faculties of the soul, which precedes the free act of the will. (De fide.)
Consequent Grace (Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma, page 227)
  • There is a supernatural influence of God in the faculties of the soul which coincides in time with man’s free act of will. (De fide.)

Last edited:
Evil in the sense it’s being used here is not a problem for me because it’s a religious term.
These are great replies, Freddy. I enjoyed reading them. What I was trying to suggest to you earlier when I claimed that evil is a problem for you, as it is for everyone is that some years ago I realized that “good and evil” themselves both transcend and cross many boundaries of disciplines. Of course, most folks naturally see tie-in’s with good and evil and theology and ethics. But, it seems we could hardly stop there. As Wesrock shows within this thread, it bleeds over into metaphysics. But, is that the end of it? How about politics, jurisprudence, economics? And the social sciences? Do psychology and sociology have nothing to contribute to these discussions? It seems they invariably do. Whatever your interests and background, whatever are your religious leanings, good and evil are a problem for you–not to be waved away due to your lack of religious commitments, since the concepts transcend the merely religious.
Certainly not to describe any event that is non human such as a lion killing or a tsunami.
As I’ve noted within these recent threads on the problem of evil, the Boxing Day tsunami reportedly killed 227,898 people. None of us escapes our rather natural repulsion at such events by renaming them “natural disasters” as opposed to “acts of God.” That renaming only refers to the perspective of the writer, not the event itself. And, more to the point, what I’m after in all of this, and why I’m convinced that good and evil are problems for theists, atheists, pantheists and everything besides is that our existential reaction to these events is the problem. Whenever we perceive such events, such “natural evils” of enormous magnitude, we cannot escape the “why?” and “how could this happen?” questions. No one teaches us to ask these questions, just as no one teaches us to be compelled by the beautiful sunset. Our phenomenological/existential reactions to both good and evil (or beauty and ugliness) are innate to the human community, so far as anyone can tell.
As a theist… And as an atheist, I take exactly the same position.
Precisely. Very well put and right on point. I would only urge you to resist perceiving the Christian theist in a facile way. For all you know, she reads the early chapters of Genesis as deep insights into the entire nature of reality, the whole cosmos, obviously focusing on god(s) and humanity but putting unique emphasis on the human relation to animals–insight into the human condition. For all you know, the Christian theist is well aware that the opening chapters of Genesis is not some just-so, history of how the snake lost its feet. And, this of course has nothing to do with Modernity. Allegorical, spiritual readings of sacred writings are the most ancient within Christendom. After all, Origen (c. 184 – c. 253) the father of all eastern church fathers, acknowledged that anyone attempting to read the early chapters of Genesis as if they are actual history is a fool.

Last edited:

You mean that the Almighty God is powerless to allow a “sneak preview”?

A rational discourse would be better. Any reference to “grace” and “dogma” does not resonate with atheists. I seems like that atheists are excluded from heaven, even if they lead an otherwise impeccable life. That sounds suspiciously like being punished for “thought crimes”.
Yes, powerless to allow a “sneak preview” of the Beatific Vision – a logical impossibility.

Those crimes of the heart, the innermost being. A conversion is needed (at least baptism of desire).

Catechism of the Catholic Church
368 The spiritual tradition of the Church also emphasizes the heart , in the biblical sense of the depths of one’s being, where the person decides for or against God. 239

239 Cf. Jer 31:33; Deut 6:5; 29:3; Isa 29:13; Ezek 36:26; Mt 6:21; Lk 8:15; Rom 5:5.

Last edited:
So this nonsense about a lion being a ‘good’ lion if it fulfills it’s potential by killing (and presumably an antellope being a good antelope if it gets killed)…
I assume that you accept the common theistic distinction between “moral evil” and “natural evil,” although you tend to resist calling the latter category “evils.” Just so you know, I tend to downplay the former category and see the latter as truly the problem for all folks. Why? Well, what explains Hitler and Mother Teresa, as in, what accounts for their coming to be the way that they are? Someone inclined to place enormous emphasis on moral goodness tends to look no further than the individuals themselves for the explanation of the vicious villain and the virtuous hero. But, in the life of every person that I have gotten to know deeply and intimately, I have always come to see that what helped to make them who they all are goes far beyond the individuals themselves. In some sense, they’re all products of their respective communities, innate drives, etc.

That’s not to say that I deny free-will altogether, it’s only to say that I want to put it in its proper (extremely limited) place. Which pretty much just leaves us with nature. But, we react to nature–that’s the bizarre puzzle. We are repulsed by Hitler and drawn to heroic virtue (Mother Teresa). Why would that be? Why doesn’t Hitler become for us no more than the greatest Lion on the safari devouring all the little antelopes? Isn’t Hitler part of the “natural process?” He’s not a greek god transcending and outside of nature, he’s a part of nature. Right? Goodness compels us and evil repulses us (yes, even the various “natural evils” like ones you’ve pointed out here–an animal being eaten alive). We are repulsed, disgusted. Something about the event strikes us as less-than-the-best. I’m just trying to key in on our common reactions and see where that might lead us. So, I completely sympathize with:
If God has designed it thus then it’s good…And if you point out it’s obviously bad to be eaten alive, then we’re brushed off with the claim that it’s ‘for the greater good’. And any idea what that ‘greater good’ might be? Well, no.
I’m just not sure you’re ready to acknowledge that all these issues are a problem for us all, all humanity, irrespective of your religious beliefs. In a way, your existential reaction to watching the antelope get torn into is akin to the opening chapters of Genesis. The fundamental truth expressed in both is that there seems to be something seriously wrong with this world. It’s just bad enough to make us shake our heads at it, though just good enough for us to stick around and try to make it better. In this way, I think the theist and atheist can come to a common jumping off point. After all, if we’re not looking for some areas of agreement here, what are we really doing?
I found this quote by Tillich. I’ll have to read more about him. Seems to be my sort of theis
His profundity is deep! I’m glad you found that bit to be insightful.

I have 4 to 5 posts of content here. The forums have a three-consecutive-post limit. I’m going to need an assist/bump halfway through.
Then you need to seriously work on how to shorten it for forum purposes.

No one, often not even the guy you’re replying to, reads super-duper mega power-posts. They get scrolled right over. Use the TL;DR format.

“But my concept requires oceans of text to explain!”

No it doesn’t. Typically, the more words someone needs to describe something, the less they themselves know about it.

The fundamental truth expressed in both is that there seems to be something seriously wrong with this world.
I think the vast majority of things “wrong with the world” are attributable to people.

The lion eating the antelope is simply nature running its course. You see, the lion is a predator by design. It hungers and suffers if it doesn’t find something to kill and eat.

If lions weren’t originally “designed” by God to do that, why on earth do they have the teeth and claws perfect for the job?

“There’s something seriously wrong with this world.” This is just another case of seeing what you want to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back