Yes, but it was never a debate. Both meanings were perfectly acceptable, and some evern used both (Hypolitus for example).
I believe that any passage of scripture can become contentious, especially when it becomes political. To a great extent, the protestant reformation was political, and so they had every motivation in the world to seek out a new, and inovative, way of explaining Matthew 16 to the exclusion of all other possible interpretations. I believe this is where the Protestants err. They seek one meaning only out of this passage, when it can render multiple meanings.
Thomas Aquinas and Aristotle often liked to categorize ideas as equivocal, or univocal, or as having multiple meanings, or just one meaning. I think Matthew 16 is a passage that is equivocal. One meaning does not exclude the other.
God bless,
Ut
(
Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
Well, Professor, i appreciate your taking a close look at every word coming from my mouth and pointing out my lack of knowledge. And i’ve got to admit that you must be correct in your scientific assumptions, for i find myself lacking in a great deal of wisdom. I tried reading Aquinas once and started to drown when his thoughts quickly went over my head! I prefer wading in the shallow, calm waters of Paul’s epistles. And i prefer the simple dialogs of Plato to the deeper thoughts of his brilliant protégé Aristotle.
That being said, my simple mind tells me that i think Jesus could have dumbed it down for the easily fooled like me. There must have been a lot of us ignorant Gilligans out there, for the Protestant Revolution has ship wrecked many of us.
Why not keep it simple for the slow among us? After all, all He had to do was say this
“And I tell you that you are Peter, and on
[you] this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.”
instead of saying this
“And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.”
and it wouldn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that there is only one meaning to those words!
Or He could have said this,
“Take and eat; this is my [actual] body.”
instead of this,
“Take and eat; this is my body.”
In both cases, one little word would have made all the difference! There would be no ambiguity, for there would be only one possible meaning. When it comes to something as important as the authority of the papacy and the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist, don’t these require the unequivocal? I mean, i can understand a careless fool like me saying the wrong thing and giving many people the wrong idea, but Jesus is smarter than that! Isn’t He, Professor?
The only reason that i can see for not being unequivocal is to purposefully choose words that will allow people to believe a lie if they really wanted to be duped. That’s why i’m saying He chose His words carefully for the sake of mercy. Do you know what i mean, Professor? Or am i being unclear?
