Profound bow or genuflect?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tsering
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good for you for figuring it out! šŸ™‚ You are probably ahead of a lot of cradle Catholics in understanding now.
Maybe in other respects too. The cradle Catholics were also taught to bow at the name of Jesus and that the gesture itself is a form of prayer. Does that mean they still do it? šŸ™‚
 
I am not a cradle Catholic, and so I often have a little bit of a problem when people merely stick to ā€˜rules’. Such as in following the parish norm when it comes to genuflecting or bowing.

If we really, truly believe that it is God almighty who is actually present in the Tabernacle, why would anyone not want to show him the most profound respect possible?

(If the Tabernacle is not present then that is a different matter of course.)
 
It depends on where the tabernacle is.

If it is behind the altar, then it is appropriate to genuflect. If the tabernacle is in a separate chapel, then bow to the altar. If you have problems with your knees and cannot genuflect, then bow.
Thank you SO much!!! I was unclear as to why I am bowing since our tabernacle is off to the side of the church proper, and if I face the front of the church, I am bowing/genuflecting to the crucifix as if the Body were there when it is not. I did not realize that I am to bow to the altar so that is why I will continue to bow. It just felt odd to genuflect when there was no Body present.
 
Here’s another thought about genuflecting that came to me recently:

Like anything else we do repetitively, genuflecting towards Jesus in the Tabernacle can easily loose it’s meaning. I’m sure we’ve all witnessed some people who do it so quickly that, from the outside, it looks almost meaningless.

I’ve caught myself genuflecting without thinking about why sometimes. One evening I spontaneously declared inaudibly ā€œMy Lord and my God!ā€ It helps, but I try not to do this every time so that my personal addition doesn’t become another meaningless habit.

I just thought I’d share that in case it inspires someone else to add their own personal act of piety.

Reg.
:signofcross:
 
Here’s another thought about genuflecting that came to me recently:

Like anything else we do repetitively, genuflecting towards Jesus in the Tabernacle can easily loose it’s meaning. I’m sure we’ve all witnessed some people who do it so quickly that, from the outside, it looks almost meaningless.

I’ve caught myself genuflecting without thinking about why sometimes. One evening I spontaneously declared inaudibly ā€œMy Lord and my God!ā€ It helps, but I try not to do this every time so that my personal addition doesn’t become another meaningless habit.

I just thought I’d share that in case it inspires someone else to add their own personal act of piety.

Reg.
:signofcross:
I recently saw a gentlemen geneflect slowly…and bow his head at the same time…very moving!
 
Recently someone told me that if mass has already started (ie you’re late) you shouldn’t genuflect. He’s much more knowledgeable than I am about Catholicism, so I believe him, but it would be interesting to see what is the teaching behind this.

šŸ™‚
 
Recently someone told me that if mass has already started (ie you’re late) you shouldn’t genuflect. He’s much more knowledgeable than I am about Catholicism, so I believe him, but it would be interesting to see what is the teaching behind this.

šŸ™‚
Perhaps because you’re already interrupting the Mass and disrupting people’s prayer. Rather than cause a further disturbance, wait quietly until people are changing position – standing to sitting, for example – then quickly slip into a pew. If you move when people are moving anyway you don’t call attention to yourself or pull people away from their prayer.
 
it depends on your church. you genuflect in front of the tabernacle, and bow toward the altar. It is not simply because you are entering the pew. If you would be facing the tabernacle, then you genuflect. If you would be facing the altar,and the tabernacle is in another location, then you bow toward the altar. If you are unable to genuflect when it is appropriate, then bow.
So if the tabernacle is off at an angle when you are entering a pew, you should ignore it and bow toward the altar instead?
 
Perhaps because you’re already interrupting the Mass and disrupting people’s prayer. Rather than cause a further disturbance, wait quietly until people are changing position – standing to sitting, for example – then quickly slip into a pew. If you move when people are moving anyway you don’t call attention to yourself or pull people away from their prayer.
Yes, that makes perfect sense. I’ll also ask this person to elaborate next time I see him. šŸ™‚

Thanks.
 
Alright, thanks brothers and sisters! šŸ‘

Genuflect toward tabernacle - check!
Bow before altar - check!
Know what it really means - check!
Don’t just do it because you have to, do it because you love to - check!
When in Rome, do as the Romans do, and remember in the East, they’re not quite the same - check!
No half-a** wimpy type stuff, courage and honor, you’re a Catholic, act like one - check!

Peace
:tiphat: How refreshing. An OP asks a sincere question, receives and processes information, and understands and accepts it. :clapping:
 
So if the tabernacle is off at an angle when you are entering a pew, you should ignore it and bow toward the altar instead?
If the tabernacle is clearly visible from the Nave then you should genuflect towards it, whether it is front, back, right, or left.

Now if the tabernacle is placed such that one will pass directly in front of it while entering the church (because it is off to the side, towards the rear, or in a completely separate chapel) it might make more sense to genuflect while passing the tabernacle and then later bowing to the altar right before taking one’s seat.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top