P
Pwrlftr
Guest
Manny,I also like to add that there people in the poor countries who can’t read, and you expect them to be converted by merely reading a book? You have to preach them to orally to preach…
Where did I deny that?
Manny,I also like to add that there people in the poor countries who can’t read, and you expect them to be converted by merely reading a book? You have to preach them to orally to preach…
I didn’t say you did. I’m just saying that not all matters of faith and morality cannot be explicitly taught in Scripture. The Word of God is both founded in Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition, and divinely inspired Body of Believers, (The Church) to intepret them. We call this the Magisterial Teaching.Manny,
Where did I deny that?
Interesting post Janet… I have plans on researching a proof of the Trinity by using the idea of an EQUIVALENCE RELATION. We’ll see how it goes.The word “Trinity” is not in the Bible, so I am surprised that most sola Scripturists accept this doctrine. I’m glad most of them do, though, because it is true.
Still, it’s not unambiguously spelled out in the pages of Scripture.
I’ve had the opportunity to discuss this with some other non-Catholics (Christians?) who are sola Scripturists and who don’t accept the Trinity. One guy I discussed this with was a Christadelphian. Some other religions who deny the doctrine of the Trinity are oneness Pentecostals, LDS, and JW’s. Try to convince any of these people of the doctrine of the Trinity from the Bible. It’s not an easy task.
Dear Anne,Proof:
Two of the most important moral issues now are abortion and divorce.
Every single Protestant in every single church has a different interpretation of these issues, all based on what the Holy Spirit is telling him.
So does the Holy Spirit not care about these important issues? Is that why all Protestants believe different things about them?
On the other hand, every Catholic in the world is obliged by his religion to believe that abortion and remarriage after divorce are wrong.
God bless, Anne
Doesn’t the fact that you can say “many” Protestants have the same '“interpretation” of what is moral bother you? Isn’t there any solid truth? Is morality flexible, and open to interpretation? Is abortion right or wrong? Does morality change over the centuries? In the 1930s every Protestant church changed its mind about the moral rightness of contraception.many Protestants have exactly the same interpretation
Why do you reject SS, and what exactly do you propose as an alternative to it?QED
- Since sola scriptura is not taught in scripture and all Christians agree that sola scriptura is fundamental, then by the definition of sola scriptura, sola scriptura must be (c) fundamental, but not true.
The lack of NT books doesn’t doesn’t mean no scripture existed. The early church had the OT. So I really don’t see how this refutes SS.“Proof that sola scriptura is not true”
Wouldn’t be much simpler to note that while there were Christians in the 1st century there wasn’t a Bible until the 4th?
Even the earliest component parts of the NT were written down mid to late 1st century. So what did those first Christian do? It couldn’t have been Bible study.
Yes , it does.The lack of NT books doesn’t doesn’t mean no scripture existed. The early church had the OT. So I really don’t see how this refutes SS.
In written form, no. Very little, if any of the NT was available in written form at that time. Most people in the early church heard the gospel by oral communication. Given that, perhaps you can explain the significance of this verse:Yes, it does.
If no Scripture of the New Testament existed , Then how can you
apply sola scriptura to something that did not exist.
Also , if you just have the Old Testament , then Jesus Christ’s
redemptive sacrifice never happened, because everything wriiten about it is on the New Testament.
I’ve refuted SS in another thread using a syllogism and 2nd Timothy…so I’ll repost here since its a similar thread…The lack of NT books doesn’t doesn’t mean no scripture existed. The early church had the OT. So I really don’t see how this refutes SS.
While I would not disagree with your proof as described, I do disagree with the definition of Sola Scriptura that is the basis of your syllogism. As an aside, I suspect that you could use the same technique to disprove the Tradition + Magisterium + Scripture argument as well, the difficulty would be agreeing the propositions that are to be the basis.I’ve refuted SS in another thread using a syllogism and 2nd Timothy…so I’ll repost here since its a similar thread…
We all agree that the minor premise is TRUE, it is explicit in 2nd Tim…the major we proved to be false using the first Disamis. So the conclusion is FALSE…again, by the Law of Non-Contradiction, the negation is TRUE, meaning “All God breathed things are insufficient” is TRUE.
Interesting huh… Let me know what you all think.
peace be with you
What is the definition of SS that you interpreting from my reply?While I would not disagree with your proof as described, I do disagree with the definition of Sola Scriptura that is the basis of your syllogism.
You mean the premises…I agree…and these TRUE/FALSE propositions you mentioned will come from scripture…so scripture proves/disproves the tripod of TRADITION and MAGISTARIUM and SCRIPTURE. Is it possible? You want to start another thread “Proof that the tripod is not true or true”? Let us all find out…wanna help with some scriptures while I set up the “deductive reasoning” a.k.a syllogism??As an aside, I suspect that you could use the same technique to disprove the Tradition + Magisterium + Scripture argument as well, the difficulty would be agreeing the propositions that are to be the basis.
But how would anyone know if a Tradition really contradicts Scripture if someone doesn’t use “deductive reasoning”? If we all agree on the Truthness of the premises in the syllogism I posted, then I’ve shown everyone that SS is not in Scripture, therefore it is self-refuting. Insufficient refutes the “sola” part…does it not? Correct me if i’ve missed something.Firstly, Sola Scriptura does NOT completely deny Tradition. SS accepts Tradition provided that it does not contradict Scripture
Let’s hope that I am understanding you correctly and thus not speaking at cross-purposes.If we all agree on the Truthness of the premises in the syllogism I posted, then I’ve shown everyone that SS is not in Scripture, therefore it is self-refuting. Insufficient refutes the “sola” part…does it not? Correct me if i’ve missed something.
thanks for the feedback
peace be with you