W
WayneTalbot
Guest
I am not sure that I follow your line of thinking.Would it be possible to be a sola Scripturist without also being a scholar in the ancient languages (Greek and Hebrew)?
You begin by asking, “Did Jesus intend to spread the Gospel only to scholars?”, then end with the claim that understanding Scripture is not easy, thus suggesting that the answer to your first question is “yes, He did intend it only for scholars”.
I think we agree that He did not.
There are a number of issues here.
Those to whom Jesus preached did not need to be scholars of language or culture, it was their own, they understood it because they grew up with it. It is only later in history that we of different language and culture need to be sensitive to it. So the thrust of your first paragraph perhaps needs to be restated.
“If one is not a scholar … he can’t fully understand the Scriptures”. I agree with you, but maybe we would disagree as to the import of the word “fully”. Jesus told us that we would not fully understand, and I would not disagree with Him, but he was not talking about scholarship as we know. The difficulty I have with your statement, true as it is, is that each and every one of us, including the Pope, may have a different perspective of what “fully” means in this context. If we could constrain the statement to specific issues of theology, it may have some value, but as a generality, it is not helpful.
“For example one could consult with a Biblical scholar, a lexicon, or a concordance. But now it’s not really sola Scriptura anymore”. As I have explained elsewhere, this takes too narrow a meaning of SS, one that is certainly held to by some, but in my experience and study, not the more common meaning of the term.
“And when you think about it, what’s the difference between a Protestant consulting with a Biblical scholar and a Catholic consulting with the Pope?”. Well none really, so what is your point? Your definition of the term, Sola Scriptura, notwithstanding, you also seem to be accepting the validity of Protestant scholarship, equating it with the authority of the bishops and Pope, with which I would agree, but with reservations as to the motives of some Protestant interpretations.
“Sola Scriptura is just not practical”: I would agree if SS referred simply to the written text per se, but it does not. It refers to the content and meaning within the broader definitions I have given. Using what I understand your definition to be, would your above stated arguments against Sola Sciptura be valid shortly after the time of Jesus and the Apostles, when the Gospels and Epistles were first written?
It would be hard to make that case.
I would encourage you to think of SS in those terms, not seeing it as a latter day philosophy, invalidated by the separation of language, culture, and history, but as an attempt to centre belief on what was originally taught by Jesus, His Apostles, and the early Disciples. It may be mis-stated, I agree, but it has suffered with the passage of time just as Scripture itself has.
Put yourself in the shoes of the Reformists, people with a genuine love of Jesus Christ and His Church, and frustrated by a Papal authority that wandered off into some dubious practices, with the pain of the Inquisition still fresh in their memories, and love not exactly abounding from the Bishops in Rome.
What would your reactions have been?
Would you have unquestioningly followed all that Rome put before you?
If you had not known Scripture, because it was not available to you, how could you know that the authority of Rome had become corrupt in certain respects?
Think kindly of the Reformists, and their attempt with Sola Scriptura to steer the Church back on track. They may not have got it completely right, but they were fighting a difficult fight.
Had the Reformation not occurred, would Rome have put itself right? Jesus declared that “the gates of Hell would not prevail against it”, maybe, just maybe, He had a hand in the Reformation at a time when Rome had strayed.
I know such thoughts would send shudders through some, but ask yourself, in the light of history, where was Rome going, and where would it be today if it had continued on the same path without a reformation of some kind?
Often, the most loyal followers are those who are prepared to question.