J
jcrichton
Guest
***Hi, Nick Jones!No, actually the bible will not be understood even by those who study it day and night as many JW’s do, unless the Holy Spirit guides them. Even with the help of the HS, not every teaching in the bible will be made clear to very many people.
…my point is that just on this forum another non-Catholic has an exact opposite understanding from yours (I hope he is not from your church); on his posts he makes the statement that Scriptures are easily understood by those who believe! (Though he does make a quick distinction between Paul’s superior intellectual abilities and Peter’s mediocrity.)
It seems that you support my reasoning: if we are lead by the Holy Spirit our interpretation of the Holy Scriptures cannot bring us to such diverse and opposite understandings; it cannot be that the Holy Spirit seeks to profit by creating a multitude of schisms that constantly pulls apart the Body of Christ!
I was once an atheist. But God changed me from a lost dead sinner to one who is alive through the Spirit. This happened even though I never was seeking God and I didn’t want the truth if truth means God exists. I was in rebellion against God, and a slave to my own evil and selfish desires. The only way that the Truth can set a sinner free is if God makes that sinner receptive to the Truth.
I commend you on your trek and I welcome you to the Body of Christ! I agree with you that it is God’s calling that separates us from sin (Jesus tells us that we must learn from God in order to come to Him–St. John 6:45), and Yahweh made it clear to the people of Israel that He does not want a single one of us to perish (Ezekiel 18); but, ultimately, we have to humble ourselves to God in order to allow Him to work that change in us (Ephisians 4:30; 1 St. Peter 5:5-6). ***
***I agree with you to a point… too many of us Catholic and non-Catholic alike place our trust in others; it is the human way: “the path of least resistance.”The emphasis of so many (not all) in the RCC, is on the certainty they claim to have through their visible religious system. They are seeking certain infallible knowledge. But the bible repeatedly tells us that the man of God walks by FAITH. But what need is there for faith if we have certain infallible knowledge? In the end, the whole RC system is really not much different from other religions that emphasize some supposedly infallible human authority. When I read the bible I see that the only infallible authority is God, and the men who were credited as righteous by their faith, were men who’s faith was in God.
But when we read the Holy Scriptures we find that these holy men (righteous) did not appear in a vacuum nor did they operate as islands; they were part of the Church and their function was to build up the Church not break it down into myriads of doctrines.***
On this too I agree with you; it is God who is the Judge; only He has the final Word. Still, just as you find yourself being called to serve in your church, so have I been called to serve in mine.I’m not assuming that the 30,000 denominations are all saved Christians. We simply have no way of knowing which people in any group are truly saved. That is for God to determine. But I have been led to a church that truly seems to want to honor God, and not men.
***I am referring to the number of doctrines (and subdoctrines) that exists amongst non-Catholic Christians:I’m not sure what you mean here, but I don’t think it is necessarily the goal to be prolific in doctrine and membership.
i.e.: baptism (manner, age, discipline all varies according to the group’s interpretations); number of Sacraments; emphasis on various Gifts (speaking in tongues, healing, prophesying, discernment of evil spirits, etc.); once saved…; Eucharist (breaking of bread); being above the Law (at least one group is convinced that we can choose to die in sin and God has a contractural obligation to resurrect us into Life); some preach a “come as you are” Christianity which approves of any “life-style,” etc.
These various understandings do not promote unity but pluralism; the Church of Christ is reformed according to the personal views of the various members who create the schism–each schism is lead (at least from their perspective) by the Holy Spirit (of course, they do not call it a schism).
Maran atha!
Angel