We need The SPIRIT, leads us to the TRUTH… Grace from GOD…which is not earned… The teaching authority of Jesus’ One Church which is “guided by the SPIRIT”. Without these…a person will take scriptures and the Church’s Doctines out of context…therefore, endangering himself/herself and others if they teach false doctrine…what will happen to these people who are purposefully or unknowingly “ignorant”…God only knows.
See the issue that arises with the doctrine of SS…SS believers can completely deny the “teaching authority of Jesus’ Church” if they believe their interpretation is correct…but they are fallible…like you and me. You believe some scripture is sufficient, in particular the NT and all other God-breathed things are not…it is your faith…I’m guessing you believe the SPIRIT has revealed this to you. Have you tested the SPIRIT…does it makes sense? But ultimately, it is your faith… For me personally, SS doesn’t make sense, it holds no water, …and it can’t be proven using Scripture using deductive reasoning… I’m open to seeing a syllogism that proves otherwise. Any takers?
Salvation opportunity is there… But we can lose it…
You started well, acknowledging that we need the Spirit, Truth, and God’s Grace, all of which we agree on.
But remember that the Sola Scriptura debate does not disagree on that point, it is Tradition and the Magesterium that are at issue. The “sufficiency” relates to those areas. One could well expand into other areas of sufficiency but they don’t address the issues at hand. It does seem that you have changed the definition of sufficiency during the discussion, moving the goal posts so to speak.
You then wandered into the fallacy of the notion that the RCC represents Jesus’ One Church, preventing us from falling into error by erroneous interpretation of Scripture.
If it can be shown that the RCC continues to erroneously interpret Scripture, would your syllogistic logic show that it is not Jesus’ one true church?
You mention “taking Scriptures out of context”: read some of my recent posts like #208 and #228, and show where either my interpretation is wrong, or the RCC interpretation is “out of context”.
If you want a really good example on how badly the Church has interpreted Scripture, read up on Pope Paul IV’s *Bull Cum nimis absurdum *. Pope Paul declared that the Jews were nasty people because they crucified Jesus Christ. Now any Christian with any understanding of the NT knows that Christ’s crucifixion was foretold, that it was God’s Will, and was God’s plan for the salvation of mankind. A true interpretation and understanding of Scripture would have one treating Jews kindly, it was not them specifically, but the sins of all of us that crucified Christ. Pope Paul obvious also missed the commandment to love one another as he pursued his hatred of the Jews. This anti-semitism tradition was carried on by Innocent III and the Fourth Council of the Lateran in 1215. A succession of popes reinforced the ancient prejudices against Jews, treating them as lepers unworthy of the protection of the law. Pius VII was followed by Leo XII, Pius VIII, Gregory XVI, Pius IX — all good pupils of Paul IV. Leo XII (1823-9) even forbade vaccination against smallpox for Jews during an epidemic.
Now tell me this - why should I believe that the RCC is Spirit guided in its understanding of Scripture, when by their behaviour and official policy, a succession of Popes seemed not to understand the Gospel of Jesus?
They most certainly did not live it, and if we are to take to heart Jesus’ words that “by their fruit you shall know them”, what does that tell us?
My point, which I perhaps should apologise for if I harp on it, is that any argument which falls back on the notion that the RCC alone has the completeness of truth, fails by its own example, as these are not individual sins of individual Popes or clerics, sinning like we all do, this is systemic behaviour of the Church of Rome over long periods of time.
Others may choose to ignore church history, I can not.
Finally, when I said I believed that some Scripture is sufficient, because not all Scripture is needed for salvation, I was referring specifically to the scope of Scripture, not broadening the discussion to faith, grace, etc. To that point, can you show that in the context and content of Scripture, that all is necessary for salvation? Try the examples I gave, like Ruth and the Song of Solomon: show why, in the context of Scripture, knowledge of these is needed.
Then, and only then, would I address the question of how I know which parts of Scripture are needed, and there is an answer to be found in Scripture.