W
WayneTalbot
Guest
I thought that I ought to be somewhat more specific, “hatred” being such a nasty word and hard to justify literally.The Popes taught hatred of the Jews - that is directly contrary to Jesus’ commandment to love one another, which the Church also teaches, thus the Pope contradicted Church teachings.
Let me rephrase - the Pope Paul IV fostered hatred of the Jews by his Papal Bull, Cum nimis absurdum, wherein he blamed Jews for their own troubles, and imposed restrictions on how they were to live. Among other things:
He banned work on Sundays, even though he knew that the Jews observed the Sabbath (Saturday).
He banned fraternisation between Jews and Catholics.
He banned Jewish physicians from treating Catholics.
He insisted that accounting be done in Latin or Italian, otherwise the accounts would not be binding on Catholics (thus telling Catholics that they only needed to be honest in Latin or Italian, such a moral approach).
He restricted trade, prohibiting Jews from trading in grain, barley or any other commodity essential to human welfare (bit like the Nazis if you think about it).
He restricted where they could live, created a Jewish enclave with just one entrance and exit (which other despot did that I wonder).
He prohibited them from owning real estate, and denigrated them by making them wear a yellow badge to identify them as Jews (is this where the Nazis got the idea?).
Now I might be really thick, but all of that would seem to me to be contrary to Jesus’ teachings, and if I am to believe that the Roman Catholic Church teaches Jesus’ teachings, then this Papal Bull contradicts Catholic Church teachings.
Am I missing something?
Pope Pius IV extended the ghettos, and Pius V recommended them to bordering states (“teachings” in a way). Neither of these gentlemen seem very pious to me.
I cannot find when this Papal Bull was retracted, if ever.
It is clear to me, although apparently not to faithful Catholics, that previous Popes have contradicted Church doctrine, thus invalidating any claim to a monopoly on completeness of truth.
If the above mentioned Popes had bothered to check Sacred Scripture, they would have understood the error of their ways. Now I don’t think that they were uneducated, I think they knew Scripture and Church teachings, but they deliberately chose to flaunt God’s Word for their own political ends.
The really sickening aspect of this Papal Bull is the sheer hypocrisy of it, for it contains the justification “Considering that the Church of Rome tolerates these very Jews (evidence of the true Christian faith)”. How ironic that it is termed “bull”.
I would be very curious to hear your defence.