I am simply curious, how do the protestants on this board explain the disunity found within the various protestant denomonations and still hold to the statement that it is what God wants? I have often heard the statement that each agree on the core doctrine, and this may be true within an over-all Meta-denomonations (ie Baptists as a whole, Methodists as a whole etc) when you look at protestantism as a whole, there is no unity or agreement what so ever. Even down to the issue of what is Faith Alone, Scriture alone. Even these core documents are not agreed upon. There is little to no agreement on the validity of Baptism, almost no agreement on interpreting scripture, Works are valid! works are not valid! some even go so far as to say there really isnt ANYTHING we can do, even with respect to faith to change or ultimate status whether it is heaven or hell.
There really isn’t a great deal of difference between Protestant denomonations believe it or not - at least those who adhrere to Systematic Theology.
The problem with Protestantism is that you get many churches who “pop up” using only the Bible and think they can teach it without developing a Systematic Theology.
Bad.
This is exactly why the Catholic church for many years kept their Bibles in Latin and out of layman’s hands, because they knew the Bible would be misinterpreted.
But if you compare the different Systematic Theologies of Methodism, Reformed, & Dispensationalist (usually Baptist) you’ll find a few differences but not vast differences.
Again, I am not looking at individual denomations, but protestantism as whole, from Fundamentalist, to Lutherans. From SDA,
Ach! Stop!
SDA, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Mormons, Christadeplhians, & Christian Science (and any I’ve forgotten) are cults - it is a no-no to call them Protestants.
to Methodist. This amazing disunity is my largest and seemingly insermoutnable stumbling block to ever believe that the Protestant churches “have it right”
Here’s the thing.
In Paul’s day, there were differences between churches and within churches, this is not a new thing.
Now the Catholic Church has unity, but unity doesn’t equal truth.
Think about it, Cardinals are locked up until they reach a decision, how can you be sure they’ll not vote a wrong pope out of frustration?
Besides, “a house divided against itself cannot stand” but does that mean that house is 100% the truth? No way.
In every ecumencial council
compromises are made, if nobody compromised, nobody would agree.
Unity without infallibilty always included compromise.
Now if the Catholic Church is infallible, then it is united and 100% true.
However if it is not infallible, then it is united but cannot claim 100% truth.
Anyway, I am not trying to start a raging argument on who is right, I merely want to know how Protestants address this extremely Glaring issue of complete disunity and confusion among protestants as a whole, and still feel Protestantism is the way to go. Rememeber, Our God is not the God of confusion, but this is all i can see in Protestantism.
I see it as the wolves in amongst the sheep personally.
I believe eventually all the sheep will be gone and only wolves will remain, in
all denomonations, even Catholicism - and then it will be the second coming of Christ.
Good question, no easy answers, this topic has rather disillusioned me myself, however though I am a Protestant, I’m not sure any church today has 100% - even Catholicism.
Very, very disheartening.
Love,
Rev