M
marymmma
Guest
Thank you Patrick! I just need to remember all this when my mind is being tormented with it. But I believe in time it will all be better. It’s still pretty raw.
I have never investigated that idea via Church documents, but in the last few years I’ve come to believe that part of our purgatory can be here on earth.I’ve heard some people say, “less time in purgatory” when someone is suffering something. Usually said in jest like when someone has a sunburn, etc. I do wonder if that would be true though?
My mother was in a care home for about 2 years before she died and she had dementia long before that. The priest told me she would be considered a white martyr for her suffering.
That piece is certainly worth the read.The Roman Catholic must show from the Scriptures that God’s purpose for allowing forgiven people to suffer the consequences of sin in this life is a vindicatory *punishment, a restitution, the payment of debt to divine justice *and not just for teaching and preventive purposes. Moreover he has to demonstrate that as long as this satisfaction is discharged the forgiven person is not yet in a right relationship with God, or, as the Council of Trent puts it, the temporal punishment remains to be paid “before access can be opened to the Kingdom of heaven.”
=The Reginator;12512630]I have never investigated that idea via Church documents, but in the last few years I’ve come to believe that part of our purgatory can be here on earth.
The other aspect of purgatory, together with becoming purified in order to enter heaven, is our responsibility for our sins. Jesus did indeed pay the price that we can not pay. Out of Infinite Love He suffered in our stead. But logic and justice says to me that we “… will not get out until you have paid the last penny.” (Matthew 5:26) Part of our responsibility is to accept the punishments that God’s Justice demands. If we are fortunate enough we will be able to pay a good portion of that here on earth.
Purgatory is perhaps among the GREATEST evidences of God’s love for man, who alone can know,love, Obey and worship Him.That piece is certainly worth the read.
Purgatory is perhaps among the GREATEST evidences of God’s love for man, who alone can know,love, Obey and worship Him.
The Church then picks up on this and exercises Her Power of the “Key’s” to Christ Kingdom, and Her Powers to “bind and loose” Mt. 16:18-19; which are effectively unlimited Powers of Governance. John 17:18 and 20:21
**1 John 1:8-10 tells us clearly that “all men are sinners” **
So Mother Church then creates way’s in which the Temporal punishmentt that all sins incur [even sins Confessed and completely forgiven], can be repaid, as Divine Justice demands, while still on earth.
Two of the methods are Indulgences and the Last Rites [final anointing].
All Catholics would do well to be familiar with both of these. Also our Charity always is partial repayment of this debt.
Let us learn our Fairh fully so that we can practice it in a manner apparent to ALL:thumbsup:
God Bless you, GREAT post!![]()
I think PJM had a good post. As she said, we cannot know for certain where souls are after death (except in the case of canonized saints), but if you believe that your son really did believe in God and was just angry at him, I would hold on to that thought if I were you. God always gives all people on earth an adequate chance to choose Him, whether that is all throughout their life or if it’s only just as they die. It would be unjust of God to not allow us all this chance. So please continue to have hope for your son! As a couple of others have suggested, it is a good idea to have Masses said for the repose of his soul, if you haven’t done so already. Although there’s no limit of Masses you can say for one’s soul, as far as I know. I’ll remember you in my prayers tonight!Thank you for your response JamalChristophr. I’m glad you shared the book recommendations and I will definitely get them. I am constantly searching for any and all information about purgatory. Trying to find something to give me peace of mind. I don’t want to live the rest of my life worrying over this. Please pray for me everyone.
Purgatory is perhaps among the GREATEST evidences of God’s love for man, who alone can know,love, Obey and worship Him.
The Church then picks up on this and exercises Her Power of the “Key’s” to Christ Kingdom, and Her Powers to “bind and loose” Mt. 16:18-19; which are effectively unlimited Powers of Governance. John 17:18 and 20:21
**1 John 1:8-10 tells us clearly that “all men are sinners” **
So Mother Church then creates way’s in which the Temporal punishmentt that all sins incur [even sins Confessed and completely forgiven], can be repaid, as Divine Justice demands, while still on earth.
Two of the methods are Indulgences and the Last Rites [final anointing].
All Catholics would do well to be familiar with both of these. Also our Charity always is partial repayment of this debt.
Let us learn our Fairh fully so that we can practice it in a manner apparent to ALL:thumbsup:
Oops. I meant to highlight the section that jumped out at me. I guess I was getting tired …
I agree.It is just a personal theory of mine, but I have often speculated that we begin to pay for our sins before we leave earth.
Thinking about the word remorse. It actually has two meanings. It is possible that the remorse found in Hell it the type of remorse that one feels when one is sorry he or she was caught. Maybe the type of remorse one feels in purgatory is the type of remorse one feels when they realize the pain and suffering they have caused another and wish they could undo the pain, not for themselves but for others.I think their is remorse in Hell, but not Charity. Souls know how stupid and foolish they were to have made the choices they made and end up where they did. They can feel no joy nor pleasure in Hell and are cut off from the one thing (for all eternity) that could have brought them happiness which is God.
Purgatory I’m less sure of, but I think regret focuses a bit more on looking back while the souls in Purgatory are unbelievably excited to be going to Heaven, so they are looking forward. Heaven is a million times better than the life we have now and the souls in Purgatory have gotten a taste for it of some kind and that I’m sure leads to a lot of suffering when they know they can’t go there yet but must wait until they’ve been purified.
We really do need to try and skip purgatory,and I don’t think it’s being presumptuous and proud to have this as our goal. Mother Angelica said the same and that’s where I got the notion from, I think, but to do this will require lots of work here on Earth in the here and now, and also that we acccept our present, past, and future trials gracefully and as sent or permitted by God for our benefit though we may know not how. This is a hard part. I can certainly attest to it, but we ought to try.
It’s a great act of Charity to pray and sacrifice for the Holy Souls in Purgatory as they can no longer help themselves.
Along those lines, I often hear that Judas Isacariot, the one who betrayed Jesus, **and **Peter, our first Pope, both had remorse. in both was an awareness that they had done wrong. But Peter also had repentance… Judas went and hanged himself. Peter went and begged for forgiveness, essentially asking for mercy from the Lord and resolving to change his ways.Thinking about the word remorse. It actually has two meanings. It is possible that the remorse found in Hell it the type of remorse that one feels when one is sorry he or she was caught. Maybe the type of remorse one feels in purgatory is the type of remorse one feels when they realize the pain and suffering they have caused another and wish they could undo the pain, not for themselves but for others.
=HelenRose;12521453]I have often wondered if Purgatory is a time of regret. A time or place where the ripples of our lifes are before our eyes. Recognizing how the wrongs of our life have rippled through time affecting the lives of others. I have often wondered if time spent in Purgatory will depend on how far the painful ripples extend and, hopefully, how far the ripples of the good in your life extend.
Perhaps that is why praying for the Suffering Souls in purgatory can help. Perhaps by our prays for these souls, the harm that was done will come to an end.
Hi Helen,I also wonder if Hell is the place were people have no desire to regret. As if their choice is, “I am not sorry for the pain I have caused. I lived my life my way and I really do not care how the chips fell.” In Hell, the people who have no remorse do not want redemption. Pride is their choice. Sorrow for their action is not possible.
=Thomas White;12527784]I agree.
“For with the same measure that you mete withal, it shall be measured to you again.” Genesis 1:27
“As you sow, so shall you reap.” Galatians 6:7
Hi Thomas,Don’t we know it?
Because Purgatory flows directly from the HEART of God who must be JUST, we can 'and ought to] know that it serves both a good and a necessary purpose.=rayb3638;12535648]Hi PJM
How can we talk about time in purgatory when the dimension of time does not exist in the after life. I pray for the souls in purgatory it has always been our wonderful tradition, but all that is written about purgatory is pure speculation. Karl Rahner wrote very little about the after life and speculated that the actual process of dying is part of the purgatorial process. When you witness the prolonged suffering of a near and dear one prior to the spirit leaving there is something I feel to be said for this view. Best Regards rayb3638