A
Avila123
Guest
A family member said they would be interested in the Catholic’s Biblical basis for Purgatory but not II Maccabees as it wasn’t Scripture, just historical. The person is a devote protestant Evangelical and I very much doubt that they are wanting to come Home. The person was okay with my request for time to look up the references and we agreed that I would email them (a conversation would end badly for both of us). They asked that it was not single verses, within context and very short. All I want to do is simply put down what we Catholics believe. Any contributions would be welcome. Please see below. As it is late in the UK, I will be off to bed, but will check back tomorrow. Thank you
Dear X
As discussed. As you know there are many mentions of Sheol in the Old Testament where both the righteous and unrighteous went after death e.g. Genesis 35:37, Job 14: 13, Isaiah 38: 9-12 (or to the end), Psalm 9:17 etc. Just thought it made sense to establish that there was heaven, earth and somewhere else mentioned in the Old Testament. And that the Jews hadn’t been set straight or punished by God on this subject.
Some of the key Bible teachings for Catholics are:
If II Maccabees 12:39-46 is simply taken as historic, it shows that the Jews believed in praying and making atonement for the dead shortly before the birth of Jesus. This is the faith in which Jesus and the apostles were raised and if it was not the case, then it seems odd that He did not correct them.
Matthew 5:24-25 & 43-6.1 (in the context of the Sermon on the Mount)
Matthew 12:32
I Corinthians 3:11-15
Peter 3:19
Revelations 21:27
For us Catholics, that isn’t all of it on the subject (everything always links and leads into other aspects of the faith), but that is the shortest I could put together. I’m simply presenting, no more and no less, which is why I left out commentary on the New Testament (except the reminder on Matthew 5). If this is something that you are not comfortable with, that’s okay. I am going to have to leave it at that, as I have to catch up on my studying for the Bible course and …
Dear X
As discussed. As you know there are many mentions of Sheol in the Old Testament where both the righteous and unrighteous went after death e.g. Genesis 35:37, Job 14: 13, Isaiah 38: 9-12 (or to the end), Psalm 9:17 etc. Just thought it made sense to establish that there was heaven, earth and somewhere else mentioned in the Old Testament. And that the Jews hadn’t been set straight or punished by God on this subject.
Some of the key Bible teachings for Catholics are:
If II Maccabees 12:39-46 is simply taken as historic, it shows that the Jews believed in praying and making atonement for the dead shortly before the birth of Jesus. This is the faith in which Jesus and the apostles were raised and if it was not the case, then it seems odd that He did not correct them.
Matthew 5:24-25 & 43-6.1 (in the context of the Sermon on the Mount)
Matthew 12:32
I Corinthians 3:11-15
Peter 3:19
Revelations 21:27
For us Catholics, that isn’t all of it on the subject (everything always links and leads into other aspects of the faith), but that is the shortest I could put together. I’m simply presenting, no more and no less, which is why I left out commentary on the New Testament (except the reminder on Matthew 5). If this is something that you are not comfortable with, that’s okay. I am going to have to leave it at that, as I have to catch up on my studying for the Bible course and …