G
garysibio
Guest
I must be missing something about Purgatory. I hope someone here can explain it.
When we sin, in addition to separating ourselves from God and the loss of grace, we also incur temporal punishment. When we go to confession we receive grace and our relationship with God is re-established but the temporal punishment remains. That can be dealt with in various ways during our lifetime but, if any remains when we die, we go to Purgatory to deal with it. (I’m assuming we die in a state of grace.)
The purpose of Purgatory is not so much punishment but cleansing of our imperfections. Although I’ve never heard this taught, in pondering Purgatory it seems to me that it would be impossible to sin in Purgatory. Otherwise we might commit a mortal sin and then we can’t enter Heaven at all which would contradict the church’s teaching that everyone who goes to Purgatory goes to Heaven.
The church also teaches that the church militant can shorten the time in Purgatory - I know, time is different after death - by prayers, works of mercy, etc. Here’s my problem. If a person is in Purgatory because they need to be purified by the cleansing fire, how does someone on Earth doing something cleanse someone in Purgatory?
To give a more concrete example, if I drive too fast and get a ticket, how does someone paying my ticket cleanse me from being a lead-foot? It almost seems counter-productive.
I hope my question is clear.
When we sin, in addition to separating ourselves from God and the loss of grace, we also incur temporal punishment. When we go to confession we receive grace and our relationship with God is re-established but the temporal punishment remains. That can be dealt with in various ways during our lifetime but, if any remains when we die, we go to Purgatory to deal with it. (I’m assuming we die in a state of grace.)
The purpose of Purgatory is not so much punishment but cleansing of our imperfections. Although I’ve never heard this taught, in pondering Purgatory it seems to me that it would be impossible to sin in Purgatory. Otherwise we might commit a mortal sin and then we can’t enter Heaven at all which would contradict the church’s teaching that everyone who goes to Purgatory goes to Heaven.
The church also teaches that the church militant can shorten the time in Purgatory - I know, time is different after death - by prayers, works of mercy, etc. Here’s my problem. If a person is in Purgatory because they need to be purified by the cleansing fire, how does someone on Earth doing something cleanse someone in Purgatory?
To give a more concrete example, if I drive too fast and get a ticket, how does someone paying my ticket cleanse me from being a lead-foot? It almost seems counter-productive.
I hope my question is clear.