Q's on the Immaculate Conception

  • Thread starter Thread starter Reformed1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Reformed1

Guest
Greetings,

This is my very first post at Catholic Answers (I’m not Catholic by the way).

My questions have to do with the Immaculate Conception and how this belief come about.

It is my understanding that no one in the early church believed that Mary was sinless, or at least there is no evidence of such a belief. By early church, I am speaking of…say up to the year 400. Is this true? If it isn’t, can you guys post the patristic evidence for this belief.

What is the scriptural evidence for this belief? I can’t think of a single verse that would even imply that Mary was sinless.

Thanks in advance for your answers,

Reformed1
 
Greetings,

This is my very first post at Catholic Answers (I’m not Catholic by the way).

My questions have to do with the Immaculate Conception and how this belief come about.

It is my understanding that no one in the early church believed that Mary was sinless, or at least there is no evidence of such a belief. By early church, I am speaking of…say up to the year 400. Is this true? If it isn’t, can you guys post the patristic evidence for this belief.

What is the scriptural evidence for this belief? I can’t think of a single verse that would even imply that Mary was sinless.

Thanks in advance for your answers,

Reformed1
I would advise starting here. All Marian dogmas are ultimately derived from doctrines concerning the Person of Jesus Christ.
 
Hello Reformed welcome to CA

How much time do you have? If you have the time I recommend that you listen to Mary & the Bible; plus Purgatory & the Bible on this site

biblechristiansociety.com/download

John Martignoni came highly recommend by many CA users. He is very good at explaining the Marian beliefs (and all other Catholic beliefs for that matter) and I would at least allow him 1 hour to explain it to you.

God Bless
 
Greetings,

This is my very first post at Catholic Answers (I’m not Catholic by the way).

My questions have to do with the Immaculate Conception and how this belief come about.

It is my understanding that no one in the early church believed that Mary was sinless, or at least there is no evidence of such a belief. By early church, I am speaking of…say up to the year 400. Is this true? If it isn’t, can you guys post the patristic evidence for this belief.

What is the scriptural evidence for this belief? I can’t think of a single verse that would even imply that Mary was sinless.

Thanks in advance for your answers,

Reformed1
No one for the first 400 years of Christianity believed that Mary was sinless? And on the first day of that 401st year people just woke up believing it and continued to believe it for at least 1100 years - in fact even most of the reformers didn’t question Marian beliefs such as the Immaculate Conception?
 
The Immaculate Conception
Lk 1:28 - hail full of grace[highly favored] Lord is with you
Lk 1:30 - you have found favor with God
Lk 1:37 - for with God nothing shall be impossible
Gn 3:15 - complete enmity between woman & Satan, sin
Ex 25:11-21 - ark made of purest gold for God’s word
*Rom 3:23 - all have sinned & are deprived of God’s glory
*Lk 1:47 - my spirit rejoices in God my Savior
Buffalo,

I’m not feeling it or seeing it here. Is your proof verse 28?

I’ll have to read the links you provided but I don’t see how you would get sinless out of the verses you chose to post.
 
No one for the first 400 years of Christianity believed that Mary was sinless? And on the first day of that 401st year people just woke up believing it and continued to believe it for at least 1100 years - in fact even most of the reformers didn’t question Marian beliefs such as the Immaculate Conception?
Lily,

To the best of my knowledge none of the reformers believed that Mary was sinless. I’ve heard that Calvin and Luther accepted Mary’s perpetual virginity…which makes sense to me as well. Can you post a link that would illustrate that Marty, Calvin, etc believed in the Immaculate Conception?

But to me it seems like an awful long stretch to believe that Mary was sinless based on scripture. I realize that you guys aren’t sola scriptura fans but this is one of several Catholic beliefs I just don’t get. No disrespect intended, but this belief stumps me.

Your point with the belief just popping up at the year 400 is well taken. I hadn’t thought about the fact that something like this would have been in existence for some amount of time before actually becoming a widespread belief. However, we still (as far as I know) have quite a gap between the Apostles and the first evidence of anyone believing in the Immaculate Conception. I would think that this would have been a hotly debated topic and yet, curiously, we see no evidence of this for several centuries.
 
It is difficult to offer a direct proof from Scripture alone.

This one will at least help you understand how it was derived:

Patristic writings on Mary’s purity abound.
It’s the gap between the apostles and the first writings that I know of that raise a red flag.

I guess the bottom line is, I don’t understand how you guys see tradition. How does doctrine develop and how does one distinguish between something completely fabricated and something that would be of…I don’t know what the term would be so I’ll call it Apostolic origin?
 
Thanks buffalo, I’ll have to go back and see when some of these documents are written 'cuz I don’t know anywhere near enough history to see a father’s name and be able to associate them with a particular time.
This will help you with the Fathers ( Presbyterians and Catholics)

Fathers of the Church
 
It’s the gap between the apostles and the first writings that I know of that raise a red flag.

I guess the bottom line is, I don’t understand how you guys see tradition. How does doctrine develop and how does one distinguish between something completely fabricated and something that would be of…I don’t know what the term would be so I’ll call it Apostolic origin?
We have Tradition with a capital T.

The Catholic Church is like a three legged stool. We have the Bible as one leg, Tradition as another and the Magisterium as the third. If one of these legs disappears the stool collapses.

To protect the Deposit of Faith it is necessary to have a consistent way of handing it down. The Magisterium protects the Deposit of Faith and prevents us from making individual mistakes in interpretation of the Bible and Scripture. It is a really neat system and the Holy Spirit guarantees it.

There is also a distinction between Dogma and Doctrine as well as things we call disciplines.
 
I thought this thread was about the immaculate conception?
It is, but I thought it was good to understand the history of your church and why you don’t teach it. It also serves to understand when our traditions began.
 
It is, but I thought it was good to understand the history of your church and why you don’t teach it. It also serves to understand when our traditions began.
I’m not sure if I understand you. What do you mean by “why you don’t teach it”?

What is it that I don’t teach or reformed theology in general doesn’t teach?
 
Lily,

To the best of my knowledge none of the reformers believed that Mary was sinless. I’ve heard that Calvin and Luther accepted Mary’s perpetual verginity…which makes sense to me as well. Can you post a link that would illustrate that Marty, Calvin, etc believed in the Immaculate Conception?
At the time of the reformation, the question of Mary’s Immaculate Conception as dogma had not been settled. It wouldn’t have been something the reformers would have had much comment on for that reason and because their teachings didn’t have to deal with it in order for them to diverge from the Church on other matters.
But to me it seems like an awful long stretch to believe that Mary was sinless based on scripture. I realize that you guys aren’t sola scriptura fans but this is one of several Catholic beliefs I just don’t get. No disrespect intended, but this belief stumps me.
As Catholics we see the Bible differently from Protestants. To us it isn’t a proof text, as it is for many, especially Evangelicals. And we don’t see it as a complete history of either Israel or the early Church. It’s more like snapshots than a full length movie, if you see what I mean. The Bible, especially the OT, is filled with cryptic references and typology that are witnesses to the coming Messiah, his life, his sacrifice, his kingship, his priesthood, etc. And the same is true for Mary, but our Protestant brethren haven’t explored these things because the major Protestant denominations left the Church just at the time that Mary’s role was being more fully explored, not in only the Bible, but within the whole of Sacred Tradition. So, to those who haven’t had the benefit of learning the findings of that exploration, the Marian teachings can be hard to grasp–they were for me, too before I became a Catholic. I wrestled long and hard over them before I began to see what the Church was saying by what it teaches about her.
Your point with the belief just popping up at the year 400 is well taken. I hadn’t thought about the fact that something like this would have been in existence for some amount of time before actually becoming a widespread belief. However, we still (as far as I know) have quite a gap between the Apostles and the first evidence of anyone believing in the Immaculate Conception. I would think that this would have been a hotly debated topic and yet, curiously, we see no evidence of this for several centuries.
Questions of dogma sometimes take centuries for the Church to fully explore. Before teachings are formally defined theologians go back and forth over them, looking into them to see if they are compatible with Church teaching, if they tell us more about Christ than we knew, and what the implications of these theological constructs might have on the faithful. It can be a long, involved process that only engages some in the Church, but not all. This article from the online Catholic Encyclopedia may help you in your researches–at least it will give you some solid information to go on.
 
If you totaly trust that God used Catholic Church to tell you what books belong in the bible. Why don’t you trust that same church about the immaculate conception.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top