Question about pre baptismal stuff as an adult?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ilovejesus1234
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Ilovejesus1234

Guest
I was wondering about something, I think it I am called a RCIA student but I could be wrong(please correct me and tell me the meaning of what an RCIA student is, and is it basically the same meaning as a pre baptismal student) anyway I am a pre- baptismal student and was wondering that if I fail to go to my class at my parish; would it be a sin? Some times I cannot go because of vacation and other times I don’t want to go because I am tired but I still go to church later in the day. But yea what is your (name removed by moderator)ut on this and also please provide me with the correct meaning of what a pre baptismal student is supposed to be called. Thank you.
 
If you are not yet baptized you are either an inquirer or a catechumen.

Inquirers are those who are looking into Catholicism. People who have gone through the first rite of RCIA, the Rite of Acceptance, are catechumens. Catechumens are those who are actively studying, praying, and preparing for baptism.

Not attending classes is probably not prudent, but I don’t think it would qualify as a sin.
 
Are you actually in RCIA? Or some sort of Sunday school class?
If you can’t go, you can’t go.
 
If you are not yet baptized you are either an inquirer or a catechumen.

Inquirers are those who are looking into Catholicism. People who have gone through the first rite of RCIA, the Rite of Acceptance, are catechumens. Catechumens are those who are actively studying, praying, and preparing for baptism.

Not attending classes is probably not prudent, but I don’t think it would qualify as a sin.
👍
I’ve been a RCIA team member for my Parish off and on for several years now. We have plants that work rotating shifts; thus, some people have not been able to make every class due to work obligations. In these cases, either a team member, a Deacon, or the Pastor will arrange times to go over the material. Therefore I suggest you make the same arrangements
 
I was wondering about something, I think it I am called a RCIA student but I could be wrong(please correct me and tell me the meaning of what an RCIA student is, and is it basically the same meaning as a pre baptismal student) anyway I am a pre- baptismal student and was wondering that if I fail to go to my class at my parish; would it be a sin? Some times I cannot go because of vacation and other times I don’t want to go because I am tired but I still go to church later in the day. But yea what is your (name removed by moderator)ut on this and also please provide me with the correct meaning of what a pre baptismal student is supposed to be called. Thank you.
The classes are intended for your benefit, to train you in Christian doctrine and the practice of Christian living. If you legitimately can’t go because of work obligations, arrange make-up classes. If you’re not going because you don’t find them interesting, it might be worth asking yourself whether you are really ready to become a Catholic, yet, or else maybe you should try again next year at a different parish, if the instruction you’re receiving is truly terrible.
 
I missed some of my RCIA classes. It wasn’t a lot. Our classes were weekly and I probably missed like 5. I didn’t really miss anything. If RCIA was graded, I would have been an A student.😉
I knew I wanted to convert before signing up.

I think you should pray about this. If the classes aren’t interesting, you should ask yourself why. Choosing to convert is a big deal, it shouldn’t be taken lightly and if you aren’t ready, you might want to discern more.
 
It is not that they aren’t interesting, I love God and his church, although I can be a bit stubborn with it sometimes. The RCIA class isn’t boring, I just don’t do too well with listening, I like going to the class and learning about Catholicism. But i guess the reason I don’t go in the mornings and skip RCIA class is mainly because I am lazy and need to treat Church as my priority and not something casual.

Please pray for me, I haven’t been acting like a true Catholic, I am ashamed.

I feel like I wanna cry, my life is echoing laziness and non care all around, I am getting up late, I don’t make getting to school on time my 1st priority, instead I make sitting on the couch watching tv in the morning before I go anywhere my first priority. I feel like I let God and the Church down…
 
It is not that they aren’t interesting, I love God and his church, although I can be a bit stubborn with it sometimes. The RCIA class isn’t boring, I just don’t do too well with listening, I like going to the class and learning about Catholicism. But i guess the reason I don’t go in the mornings and skip RCIA class is mainly because I am lazy and need to treat Church as my priority and not something casual.

Please pray for me, I haven’t been acting like a true Catholic, I am ashamed.

I feel like I wanna cry, my life is echoing laziness and non care all around, I am getting up late, I don’t make getting to school on time my 1st priority, instead I make sitting on the couch watching tv in the morning before I go anywhere my first priority. I feel like I let God and the Church down…
Given that you seem to have missed all of the Rites (since you don’t know what you are called), as well as the classes that explain to you how the system works, it might be best to just try again next year, unless they let you stay in the program year-round. 🙂

it doesn’t seem to me that you would have the energy right now to be able to do make-up classes. Baptism is in three weeks, and if you’ve missed most of the classes up to this point, there’s no way you have time to make up for all of that missed work.
 
My Teacher said I am getting baptized next year I think, I started like May 2014
 
Well, I just thought you guys implied I was like that, I guess I am feeling a little weird and misinterpreting things, I am a little sick so that is probably why.
 
Well, I just thought you guys implied I was like that, I guess I am feeling a little weird and misinterpreting things, I am a little sick so that is probably why.
I grew up differently; in my day perfect attendance was expected and in College we lost a letter grade for every lecture we missed, regardless of the reason - the world has changed a great deal if a person can get an “A” after skipping five lectures.

Do what seems best to you, according to your goals and according to what you can get away with! 🙂
 
👍
I’ve been a RCIA team member for my Parish off and on for several years now. We have plants that work rotating shifts; thus, some people have not been able to make every class due to work obligations. In these cases, either a team member, a Deacon, or the Pastor will arrange times to go over the material. Therefore I suggest you make the same arrangements
Absolutely! I worked evening shift—so I took instructions from Father Walter (May God rest his soul.) during the day.

I didn’t meet the other catechumens or candidates till the Saturday before Palm Sunday.
 
So in summary what should I do if I miss class, I only missed 2-4 throughout the year.
Sometimes because of sleeping in, and other times because of vacation. I guess I should’ve been a little bit more responsible.
 
You can’t do anything about classes you’ve missed, you can only change things going forward.

You need to decide what your priorities are. If you are committed to getting baptized, then you need to put that ahead of sleeping late. If you do find that you need to miss a session due to illness, being out of town, etc., then talk with your RCIA director about how to deal with it. Perhaps someone on the RCIA team can meet with you at another time to go over what you missed. Perhaps this would be a good opportunity for your sponsor to step up and help you. Perhaps there are other possibilities. But if you’re committed to making it work, be assured that your RCIA team is also committed.
 
So in other words if I missed classes from laziness or lack of sleep: then don’t do it again and do not worry about it.

If I missed out because of vacation,sickness,etc: Then talk with teacher,and ask what I missed and ask my sponsor(mom) to help me right?
 
So in other words if I missed classes from laziness or lack of sleep: then don’t do it again and do not worry about it.

If I missed out because of vacation,sickness,etc: Then talk with teacher,and ask what I missed and ask my sponsor(mom) to help me right?
Absolutely do not skip these classes without going back to your Priest/RCIA director and asking about them first.
 
The classes are intended for your benefit, to train you in Christian doctrine and the practice of Christian living. If you legitimately can’t go because of work obligations, arrange make-up classes. If you’re not going because you don’t find them interesting, it might be worth asking yourself whether you are really ready to become a Catholic, yet, or else maybe you should try again next year at a different parish, if the instruction you’re receiving is truly terrible.
👍 well said!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top