Question about wearing the rosary

  • Thread starter Thread starter Monica4316
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Monica4316

Guest
Hi šŸ™‚

Oki I’d never wear the Rosary as a piece of jewellery…

but I’m wondering what the Church would say about this,
do you think it’s alright to just wear it in your home sometimes? not as jewellery and not so that anyone would see it, but just as a blessed object… (like how you’d wear a crucifix or bless yourself with holy water)

cause a few days ago I noticed something…I was feeling really spiritually attacked and like something was drawing me away from God… and then I started reading a book by St Louis de Montfort called ā€œthe Secret of the Rosaryā€. And I read how in one section, there was this man possessed by the devil… and (sorry my memory is really bad here!!) it was either St Louis de Montfort, or St Dominic, who took their rosary and put it around the man’s neck… and the man started screaming cause the demon found it so painful. Reading that book really helped me see that the Rosary is truly a gift from Our Lord and Our Lady, and it’s a great spiritual weapon if we pray it as much as we can, especially if we pray with confidence and not rushing through it!!

So what I did, - I don’t know why, I just felt like it… I took my blessed rosary and I put it around my neck like a necklace. As I did this, I just had trust in our Blessed Mother and that she is powerful against all forces of evil… and suddenly, wow I felt soo much peace and protection! I’m not trying to be superstitious here lol… the beads themselves had nothing to do with this. But I felt all of a sudden that our enemy really, really hates the rosary. I felt so safe wearing it like that, and better yet - praying it! lol! šŸ™‚ and ever since that day, I’ve had a desire to pray the Rosary daily.

So I was wondering, what would the Church say about this?

thanks and God bless šŸ™‚
 
Nothing wrong with it at all - I do it myself.

Nothing wrong with wearing it in public either - it’s not like you’re doing so as a fashion statement or anything.
 
I don’t know what the rules are now, but in the reign of Henry VIII his daughter Mary and her retinue once rode to London with their Rosaries AROUND THEIR NECKS.
I would ASSUME if it was good enough for a princess of the blood and a known staunch Catholic to do so, it is probubly ok. 🤷
 
Wearing a Holy Rosary around one’s neck is wonderful if the person wearing it has a genuine Christian faith & has respect for it. But too often I see many people wearing the Rosary as a mere fashion accessory which they respect about as much as a necklace or chain. I have been horrified to see a few people wearing Rosaries which had the Cross ripped off of them, that kinda breaks my heart when I see it.
I pray that those wearing the Holy Rosary as a fashion accessory will be curious enough to learn how to pray the Rosary, the most powerful weapon against sin that we have in this world.:knight2:
 
I believe this is one of those things which differs culturally in time and place. In some places, it’s normal. If you’re a Christian treating the rosary with proper respect it wouldn’t be inappropriate to wear it if you feel you would like to.

The rosary was an immensely important help in my first moves towards God, and it’s a devotion I love, but while I often carry it with me, I never wear it. This is because, unfortunately, the rosary has become a secular fashion accessory in my locality, often worn by people who have no idea of nor interest in its real significance. In fact, the local Christian bookshop has suffered a lot from shoplifters taking rosaries to be used in this way. I wouldn’t feel comfortable wearing it because of this fashionablility, although perhaps that’s not a good reason.
 
There have been a few instances (very few) when I have woken up in the middle of the night with just a deep fear of evil near. I have then – almost instictively, because I’m not usually fearful – put my Rosary around my neck for protection. And gone back to sleep.
 
I have a problem with this. It’s personal, so it’s no big issue. But I feel uncomfortable with someone wearing a rosary around their neck. It seems sort of disrespctful.
 
You’ll notice in the same book you mentioned, it also says that there is a benefit to even wearing the rosary if you are unable to say it, just wear it and that will be better than to just forget it altogether. Sorry, I don’t have the page number.

On page 84, Chapter A Bishop’s Devotion -
ā€œMy dear brethren in Jesus Christ, I am a Doctor Theology and a Doctor of Canon as well as Civil law, but I say to you, as your Bishop, that I take more pride in wearing Our lady’s Rosary than in any of my episcopal regalia or academic robes.ā€

When I first started wearing the rosary, after my husband bought me one, I was afraid people would come up to me and lecture me or something, on how I shouldn’t wear it, as in my RCIA class people would say that it is disrespectful to wear the rosary. That hasn’t happend to me but, I will say, that every once in awhile, someone will look at my rosary, and then look at me and glare at me, like a really mean glare.

Then I know that the rosary is protecting me even more.šŸ™‚
 
I am against wearing the rosary. No reason other than personal/ way I was brought up.
This has nothing to do with you but, it reminded me of a sad thing going on where I live. Our local Father was telling me that he received a call from a local school about kids wearing the rosary. It all turned out that a local street gang wears the rosary as a sign that they belong to this particular gang. That just made me sad to think about.
 
I am against wearing the rosary. No reason other than personal/ way I was brought up.
This has nothing to do with you but, it reminded me of a sad thing going on where I live. Our local Father was telling me that he received a call from a local school about kids wearing the rosary. It all turned out that a local street gang wears the rosary as a sign that they belong to this particular gang. That just made me sad to think about.
Talk to those kids when you see them in the street. And pray for them too. But don’t abandon your spiritual practices.
 
Also, I just wanted to say, that its up to the ADULTS in our neighbourhoods to do their parts. I’m the type of person who will go next door and give a talking to to someone if I think they are acting badly. I can’t help myself. They must all think I’m a mean old woman. I’m not a mean person but it really is the job of adults, to correct and guide the youths CONSTANTLY. They are out there acting like bleeps because they HAVE NO PARENTAL SUPERVISION!

I am a stay at home mom and I am the ONLY one I know beside one other. NO ONE IS STAYING HOME TO CONSTANTLY watch the children and young adults.

Its the fault of the stupid parents if you ask me…What the hell is so important? Money is more important to them then raising young responsible people.

Money IS evil. The kids learn to be obsessed with money from their PARENTS!

Grrr, parents, where the hell are you?

:DI’m done ranting, sorry.
 
Also, I just wanted to say, that its up to the ADULTS in our neighbourhoods to do their parts. I’m the type of person who will go next door and give a talking to to someone if I think they are acting badly. I can’t help myself. They must all think I’m a mean old woman. I’m not a mean person but it really is the job of adults, to correct and guide the youths CONSTANTLY. They are out there acting like bleeps because they HAVE NO PARENTAL SUPERVISION!

I am a stay at home mom and I am the ONLY one I know beside one other. NO ONE IS STAYING HOME TO CONSTANTLY watch the children and young adults.

Its the fault of the stupid parents if you ask me…What the hell is so important? Money is more important to them then raising young responsible people.

Money IS evil. The kids learn to be obsessed with money from their PARENTS!

Grrr, parents, where the hell are you?

:DI’m done ranting, sorry.
No, sounds about right to me. 😃
 
The only thing I would be concerned about is if you are in a big city. Sometimes gang members identify themselves by the color of the rosaries they wear.

Gary
 
i like to wear a rosary, inside my shirt where i can feel it. my rosary is big and heavy. another person gave it to me. it has beads of glass. it helps me to wear it. i like to wear it to bed too. then i wake at night there is the Crucifix close by for me to hold and pray. i don’t wear it on the outside. people do to be in a gang. i do not understand this. but i am not in a gang. unless it is the gang of Catholics. ha. JESUS. word. out.

😃
 
No problem at all, as long as it’s not a superstitious act and not worn as jewelry (and noone else would see it anyway and think it was your jewelry). Before I started wearing the brown scapular, I would wear it to calm anxiety so I could sleep (holding it and repeating the Hail Mary’s is perfect for insomnia!). It was a constant reminder to me of our Blessed mother’s constant care for me - due to her Son, of course.
I think it’s a perfect reminder for you, right now.
 
i like to wear a rosary, inside my shirt where i can feel it. my rosary is big and heavy. another person gave it to me. it has beads of glass. it helps me to wear it. i like to wear it to bed too. then i wake at night there is the Crucifix close by for me to hold and pray. i don’t wear it on the outside. people do to be in a gang. i do not understand this. but i am not in a gang. unless it is the gang of Catholics. ha. JESUS. word. out.

😃
The problem with rosaries and gangs is the color of the rosary. Wear the wrong color rosary and you become collateral damage. They don’t care if you’re in the gang or not. They aren’t that picky.

Gary
 
I think that wearing a Rosary underneath your shirt is fine.

It is not for anyone else to comment on or make fun of. If they know their Faith and have read Scripture they would know.
If a Rosary makes you feel safe, close to our Lord, our Mother and Church and you have a genuine love and passion for our Lord then what is the harm?
I adore the Rosary and it means so much to me.

I look at it this way. While they are making fun/commenting to me, then they are leaving other people alone. (Just my thoughts.)
 
Hi šŸ™‚

Oki I’d never wear the Rosary as a piece of jewellery…

but I’m wondering what the Church would say about this,
do you think it’s alright to just wear it in your home sometimes? not as jewellery and not so that anyone would see it, but just as a blessed object… (like how you’d wear a crucifix or bless yourself with holy water)

cause a few days ago I noticed something…I was feeling really spiritually attacked and like something was drawing me away from God… and then I started reading a book by St Louis de Montfort called ā€œthe Secret of the Rosaryā€. And I read how in one section, there was this man possessed by the devil… and (sorry my memory is really bad here!!) it was either St Louis de Montfort, or St Dominic, who took their rosary and put it around the man’s neck… and the man started screaming cause the demon found it so painful. Reading that book really helped me see that the Rosary is truly a gift from Our Lord and Our Lady, and it’s a great spiritual weapon if we pray it as much as we can, especially if we pray with confidence and not rushing through it!!

So what I did, - I don’t know why, I just felt like it… I took my blessed rosary and I put it around my neck like a necklace. As I did this, I just had trust in our Blessed Mother and that she is powerful against all forces of evil… and suddenly, wow I felt soo much peace and protection! I’m not trying to be superstitious here lol… the beads themselves had nothing to do with this. But I felt all of a sudden that our enemy really, really hates the rosary. I felt so safe wearing it like that, and better yet - praying it! lol! šŸ™‚ and ever since that day, I’ve had a desire to pray the Rosary daily.

So I was wondering, what would the Church say about this?

thanks and God bless šŸ™‚
Well, I’d say that it’s ok as long as you’re doing it for the right reasons. I wear a rosary ring instead, which allows me to pray at my own convience.

-Jeanne
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top