M
Maximus1
Guest
What year?
Imagery is not doctrine. The same scripture could be used to say we have a doctrine of teeth, as much as a doctrine of fire, or a doctrine of food, doors, etc. There may well be fire, physical burning, but I think it a stretch to say it is a doctrine based on images of Hell.Yes because it is Church doctrine.
My apologies Maximus1, I am not sure I am getting your point.sets forth God’s plan well before we exist. ( 13 billion years).
So we have free will. How could our will thwart God’s will? Impossible.
You are right, where is the joy?
And it has been said many times by Doctors of the Church and others; what kind of God would God be besides scary and cruel.
“How could I ever reconcile myself, Lord, to the prospect that a single one of those whom, like me, you have created in yοur image and likeness should become lost and slip from your hands? No, in absolutely no case do I want to see a single one of my brethren meet with ruin, not a single one of those who, through their like birth, are one with me by nature and by grace. I want them all to be wrested from the grasp of the ancient enemy, so that they all become yours to the honor and greater glorification of your name.
If only your truth and your justice were to reveal themselves, then I would desire that there no longer be a hell, or at least that no soul would go there. If I could remain united with you in love while, at the same time, placing myself before the entrance to hell and blocking it off in such a way that no one could enter again, then that would be the greatest of joys for me, for all those whom I love would then be saved.” Dialogues of Catherine of Siena
I think Catholics can hardly be blamed for this. There is no strong tradition within Catholicism of considering any tertium quid besides the Augustinian vision and universalism reconciliation. For my part, I find the visions of Sts Gregory of Nyssa and Maximus the Confessor to be much more intriguing than that of St Augustine or any sort of blasé universalism. The great Fathers of the East recognized a place for Hell (even its punitive aspect), they just never imagined the horrific vision of forever-and-inescapable-torment-and-suffering from a “good” God. Regarding Hell, we Catholics are the unfortunate inheritors of the hyper-dualistic vision of St Augustine.This thread is full of all-or-nothing thinking.
Humans can hardly be blamed. Of all the divine aspects of God, the most over-looked and most important in our understanding of God is His transcendence. He cannot understand God. We only know the smallest, the tiniest smidgen of what He is. It is really rather amazing how dogmatic some people are about the life planned for us after death in light of how little we can know, and it is rather pitiable the ferocity with which we project these limited opinions on others.I think Catholics can hardly be blamed for this.
I love the sentiment. Wasn’t it Kierkegaard that said something like this?On a personal note, my own outlook is to look with hope for the salvation of all others, but for me, to assume nothing.
Yes, definitely! From what I recall of Balthasar‘s book, he quotes stein at length on these issues. Stein is a huge inspiration.If I may, let me add Edith Stein, whose position that God would find a way ( to spare souls the pain of hell and win them over) came at a worldly hell at Aushwitz