Question: If Hell is populated with many damned souls, should this be a consideration for bringing children into the world?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Maximus1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read what you wrote, but I do not follow any of your conclusions and how you arrive at them.
If you actually take the time to appreciate your own child in eternal torment( not someone else’s, or a theoretical child) then fear is rational. We fear tiny things. This is infinitely worse than all imaginable scenarios.
Fear affects love and trust. And it is rational.
Abraham had God directing him to kill his son. And he feared and anguished and obeyed. And yes his intimacy with God was affected if I was to guess.
 
I am not keeping anything out of God’s hands. It is irrational to say the thought of my child in the eternal fire does not frighten me. Isn’t frightened part of the point?
 
Fear drives out love and trust. It is the opposite. And this is the problem when the object of our faith is Divine Union.
 
And perfect love casts out all fear (I repeat this Scripture every time I am afraid).

God loves my children more than I can every love them. I place my trust in Him, I do what He commanded me and have Faith.
 
I am not keeping anything out of God’s hands. It is irrational to say the thought of my child in the eternal fire does not frighten me. Isn’t frightened part of the point?
I am not saying you are being irrational. I am saying take heart and put your trust in God, in the power of the Holy Spirit to create faith in your children through the proclamation of the Word and ministry of the sacraments to them.
 
Last edited:
The church has not named one specific damned person ever.
The Church does not canonize damned souls or lists them on calendars the way it does with canonized saints. However the Bible is clear that many souls do end up in hell.

Being that there is so much wickedness, cruelty, hatred and incredibly evil people in this world, what makes you think there is no evil in the spiritual world?

In this life we are either being sanctified and becoming like angels in heaven, or we are demonizing ourselves and becoming like the fallen angels, who became demons.

Those who claim that hell exists but that nobody is in it, are simply spreading a diabolical deception, much like the lie that says the devil and hell do not exist…
 
Last edited:
I don’t want to be a control freak.
Before that is even a possibility, I am considering abstinence or conception, that is all. You are getting ahead.
God is love! We agree! There is an answer to this, but I can assure you if some Catholics are right about the NARROW GATE, hell is a very real possibility. Globally, perhaps probability.
Next
Eternal damnation is what we are talking about
If you are married, your vocation requires you to be open to children except for serious reasons.
“By their very nature, the institution of matrimony itself and conjugal love are ordained for the procreation and education of children, and find in them their ultimate crown.” and “Parents should regard as their proper mission the task of transmitting human life and educating those to whom it has been transmitted. They should realize that they are thereby cooperators with the love of God the Creator, and are, so to speak, the interpreters of that love.”
Gaudium et Spes (48 § 1; 50)

Even if you do not marry or if you marry and cannot have children, it is a serious mistake to regard having children as a gamble on eternal damnation. Having children, my friend, may be the way Hell is populated, but it is also the only way that Heaven is populated. People of faith are not afraid to be open to God’s gift of saints.

Remember the story of the servant who buried the wealth he was given stewardship over, out of fear that he might lose it. His master was not at all pleased.
 
Last edited:
My fear is not for me, and my love for my child is genuine. The servant feared loosing his master’s money, this was a fear for himself and his well being.
Remember Abraham, as obedient as he was, agonized in fear. And he had God giving personal directions. The fear still was. And it was his son he feared for. This is normal rational fear. We cannot live a life of love and somehow not be who we are also.
Let me add this, assume I do not think everything is right with this scenario. Something is not being interpreted correctly. What could it be?
 
Last edited:
I never said there was no hell. I assumed it.
We are required to believe in the possibility of damnation in hell. Nothing I said has denied this. This GENUINE fear as I layed out is rational.
Now you raise hell, and it’s bountiful occupancy. This is something Saints do not all agree with. For every Bible passage about narrow gates, there is a passage about God will be all in all.
For every saint who tells us of robust occupancy eternally, there is a Gregory of Nyssa. Or Julian of Norwich that tells us ," All will be well, and all will be well, and all manner of things will be well. Ephesians 1:3-4 sets forth a pretty comprehensive statement of God’s will.
But this is a different issue. Isn’t it?
The spiritual world is not God. All else are finite thing’s.
And evil has no substance it is a privation of good. So it exists as such, and not as some countervailing equivilent to good
 
Last edited:
My fear is not for me, and my love for my child is genuine. The servant feared loosing his master’s money, this was a fear for himself and his well being.
Remember Abraham, as obedient as he was, agonized in fear. And he had God giving personal directions. The fear still was. And it was his son he feared for. This is normal rational fear. We cannot live a life of love and somehow not be who we are also.
Let me add this, assume I do not think everything is right with this scenario. Something is not being interpreted correctly. What could it be?
Abraham agonized in fear, but he still took his only son up Mt. Moriah.
What you’re not interpreting correctly is despair in advance of God’s ability to save your children from recalcitrance in grave sin. That’s what you’re misinterpreting. This is a sin against hope.
For every Bible passage about narrow gates, there is a passage about God will be all in all.
You are right that when Our Lord told his followers to attempt to enter through the narrow gate that He did NOT say God could not save any who failed in that attempt. No, when he said, for instance, that it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter Heaven, he followed up by saying that with God all things are possible.

The Church has canonized many people but has never declared any particular person as one of the damned. The consequences of recalcitrance in sin are real, and we are not to be presumptious about the saving power of God, but by the same token we are to hold out hope for everybody.
 
Last edited:
Question: If Hell is populated with many damned souls, should this be a consideration for bringing children into the world?

Answer…from God…

God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth.”

From Christ:

13 Then children were brought to him that he might lay his hands on them and pray. The disciples rebuked the people; 14 but Jesus said, “Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them; for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.” 15 And he laid his hands on them and went away.

Hope this helps…
 
We were commanded to be fruitful and multiply.
This says it all. Refusing to beget new life because the child might be damned as an adult isn’t our call to make. If everyone thought that way, humanity would die out within 100 years. That’s not God’s plan.
 
My children are born and I place my faith in God. Frankly, I never considered the very real possibility of Hell. But if I did, when the choice was conception or abstinence, fear I speak of is rational. We are not here making an " abortion" type argument about defects etc. They are not anything like eternal damnation. Those kids go to heaven we can suppose and hope for.
The difference is the biggest difference that exists for us
 
I agree it isn’t God’s plan. But the fear is rational. So perhaps we misconceive God’s plan?
God’s plan is Divine Union and reconciliation. This is the purpose of the incarnation and Christ’s church. So I ask, how would fear of intimacy with God and his plan be a rational idea?
 
I think predestination is a vision of an evil God, abhorrent to my faith, and irrational, since God is good/ love.
I hope that makes my position on predestination 100% clear.
I am not saying my prospective child is
" predestined". I am saying he might be condemned, and that eventuality is so unimaginably terrible, that I dread the thought. Fear it. And if people are right about a very limited salvation, then my fear is 100% rational.
 
…fear I speak of is rational.
Trusting in human logic instead of divine promises really isn’t a good bet.
We are not here making an " abortion" type argument about defects etc. They are not anything like eternal damnation. Those kids go to heaven we can suppose and hope for.
Children who are never born can never go to Heaven. I still think that denying God saints out of the fear of providing souls for damnation is akin to hiding the talents in the ground out of fear of venturing them on an investment and losing them. We weren’t given any of our gifts to bury them in the ground. We may have more gifts than we can possibly use in one lifetime, such that we must elect not to use some in order to more fully use others. That is not the same as refusing to use what we have because we’re afraid that God’s plan might be wrecked if we do what God asks us to do. That is not the faith of Abraham. Abraham had precisely that fear, yet he had the faith to do whatever God asked of him.
I think predestination is a vision of an evil God, abhorrent to my faith, and irrational, since God is good/ love.
I hope that makes my position on predestination 100% clear.
Predestination presupposes that God is trapped in time, rather than having the capacity to be in all times as His eternal Now.
 
Last edited:
In reading through a lot of these comments, it seems like most people are missing the point of your question. I am 23 and have been married for four months in the Church and am currently in my second trimester of our first child, so best believe I be thinking about this question!

In Catholic doctrine we know that children are a good, that they are a natural gift derived from a sacramental union and that God wants us to have children. While knowing this, I also know that people, maybe even my own child, will choose sin and even potentially hell. How am I as a parent to reconcile with this idea? How does God manage it, seeing as he wants us to have kids but he also knows who goes to hell?

It’s important to remember (for my own sanity as well lol) that God always desires our good and wants us to choose him. As parents, we have a huge range of influence and responsibility over our kids in which God can work through us to help our children make good choices. Even still, our child could choose hell–and this is where I try to practice trust in God. Because there is no way for us to know our child’s ultimate fate, our options are 1) become cynical about God and grapple with a question we can’t possibly know the answer to in this life or 2) simply trust him wholeheartedly in the same way that our own little child trusts us as his/her parents. That is super hard to do and feels dissatisfying. It’s like a cop out. Where’s the answer?? But we have to realize that we don’t get to know the answer, and in accepting that, we learn how valuable trust is to God and how at peace we feel when we place our worries with him instead of mulling over them in obsessive loops (like I tend to do lol).

One thing you mentioned as well was going to heaven while your kid goes to hell. I can’t imagine that either and it sounds awful from our earthly perspective. One explanation I have heard from the evangelists on Catholic Answers radio is that because heaven means we are constantly ensconced in the almighty love of God and have access to the beatific vision, we won’t need anything else. We will feel sorrow for the sins of the other people but we will also never want for anything with God and we’ll know that those people chose where they ended up, that everything God does is righteous and just. It’s hard to picture that on earth, which leads me back to the trust thing.

I’m going to suggest a book by my favorite saint: Story of a Soul by St. Therese of Lisieux. It’s short and simple but so so powerful. She and all her sisters became devout nuns and her parents are saints as well. This is an example of the family I wish to raise and a family that gives me hope for my children and for myself and my spouse in what we can achieve. Hopefully we will become saints too!

My husband and I took the big gamble and now we have to do our jobs as faithful parents as well as trust that God will guide us and our kids. I hope this was somewhat helpful! God bless you 🙂
 
Now you raise hell, and it’s bountiful occupancy. This is something Saints do not all agree with. For every Bible passage about narrow gates, there is a passage about God will be all in all.
For every saint who tells us of robust occupancy eternally, there is a Gregory of Nyssa. Or Julian of Norwich that tells us ," All will be well, and all will be well, and all manner of things will be well. Ephesians 1:3-4 sets forth a pretty comprehensive statement of God’s will.
Yes, all will be well for those who respond to God’s grace. The problem is when one begins building a false narrative based on a misrepresentation of the scriptures or the writings of the saints simply because they are unable to accept the reality of eternal damnation. We see this when people read Jesus’ own words: “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.” and try to argue that he did not mean what he said. We know that there is wickedness, cruelty and great evil in this world, and the lot of the wicked is not among the elect. Archbishop Sheen gives a clear explanation in this brief audio
 
Last edited:
Respectfully, those passages do not address my fear.
Hell is made up of those who once we’re children according to many.
I love those passages. They simply do not directly address my concerns. Thank you anyway.
 
Predestination assumes a man can live like Saint Francis and if he is not on a " list" it was superfluous. That describes something less than perfect love.
Children never born can never go to heaven is true.
I ascribe to the idea that eternal damnation, eternal suffering, is so terrible, it causes rational fear in their being born.
" You buys your ticket and you takes your chances," is an old and abandoned legal principle by our SCOTUS. BUT there, the chances are finite and eternal damnation is absolute. So terrible that it is unimaginable. And it creates trepidation if fully considered in light of a parents love and instinct.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top