Questions About Bible Versions

  • Thread starter Thread starter Protestant101
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Protestant101

Guest
I would like to find out about The Confraternity Version of The Bible first, if anyone is game.

Is there somewhere online where I can read it? Why isn’t it used much anymore?

Or, can someone please post Psalms 87 from that version? I would like to see it.

Thx
 
I would like to find out about The Confraternity Version of The Bible first, if anyone is game.

Is there somewhere online where I can read it? Why isn’t it used much anymore?

Or, can someone please post Psalms 87 from that version? I would like to see it.

Thx
There is the Confraternity for Christian Doctrine, INC. That published the NAB – that’s in print today. There are St. Joseph’s bibles that say “Confraternity” on them as well , and I have seen confraternity on other bibles of various versions – so I am not sure which bible you are after. Can you identify it a bit better?

Here’s a link to the NAB/CCD bible – psalm 87.
usccb.org/nab/bible/psalms/psalm87.htm
 
I have a copy right here P101,

Here’s a scan of the page you asked for.

Why do you want this from this particular translation?
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
 
I have a copy right here P101,

Here’s a scan of the page you asked for.

Why do you want this from this particular translation?
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/corona_stellarum/Important Pictures/Psalm87CCDVersion-1.jpg
Hey, thanks for the effort in scanning that for me. Can you tell me what the bracketed numbers in each chapter heading mean? For eg, the one says Psalms 87 (88). Why do they do it this way? What does it mean?

I have been reading a Roman Catholic book where the author explores “the night of faith with St John of The Cross.” In the preface; she quotes a portion of Psalms 88; but in the book, she says “Psalms 87.” Here is what she wrote:
“You have plunged me into the bottom of the pit
into the dark abyss
Upon me, your wrath lies heavy
and with all your billows, You overwhelm me
Companion and neighbor you have taken away from me
my only friend is darkness.”
  • Ps 87, Confraternity Version
I got to wondering why she would say Psalms 87, when infact it is Ps 88. And now I am really wondering why the Confraternity version has the chapter numbers this way?
 
I would like to find out about The Confraternity Version of The Bible first, if anyone is game.

Is there somewhere online where I can read it?
Not that I am aware of. I looked and couldn’t find it anywhere. Amazon appears to have a single copy for $20.00. I like my copy.
Why isn’t it used much anymore?
The New American Bible replaced it in general usage in the '70s. The Confraternity Version is actually a mix of the Douay-Rheims Challoner Bible and some revised translation. Confraternity Bible
Hey, thanks for the effort in scanning that for me. Can you tell me what the bracketed numbers in each chapter heading mean? For eg, the one says Psalms 87 (88). Why do they do it this way? What does it mean?

I have been reading a Roman Catholic book where the author explores “the night of faith with St John of The Cross.” In the preface; she quotes a portion of Psalms 88; but in the book, she says “Psalms 87.” Here is what she wrote:

I got to wondering why she would say Psalms 87, when infact it is Ps 88. And now I am really wondering why the Confraternity version has the chapter numbers this way?
There is some difference in the numbering of the psalms in the DRB and CCDB. It stems from the fact that Psalms are slightly different in the older texts. Psalm numbering off in Douay-Rheims Bible - Catholic Answers Forums
 
Where is this going?
Its actually not going anywhere - yet. Don’t start suspecting the worst just because I am Adventist! I started this topic to see what Roman Catholics say about different Bible versions. That’s it. What you see is what you get!
 
Its actually not going anywhere - yet. Don’t start suspecting the worst just because I am Adventist! I started this topic to see what Roman Catholics say about different Bible versions. That’s it. What you see is what you get!
😛 😃 See my edited post above. 🙂
 
The best place to buy a copy of the Confraternity-Douay Bible is on e-bay, they usually have many copies for sale.
 
I was literally just wondering this myself as I’m in the position that I now have two Bibles at home, both are great but I’d love to have a smaller one for while I’m “on the go” the KJV is the most popular pocket bible I can find and is fairly cheap. It’s my understanding that it’s not complete by Catholic standards but I wonder, is there anything wrong with using it for the aforementioned purpose?
 
the Confraternity version was an English translation begun early in the 20th century to meet the teaching needs of the Church. The work was much interrupted by wars etc., The complete retranslation from the original of the NAB halted that work, although it built on some of it. The Confraternity bible many of us remember from our Catholic school days pre1970, when the first edition of the NAB came out, is actually a mix of the new and the DR-C. In fact one some of us are nostalgic for the Douay Rheims we are actually thinking of the Confraternity version in use from the mid 40s to late 60s.

My brother kept his, I gave mine to the library of my last parish but wish I had kept it because I know how to find things there. Look on ebay

you can use any approved CAtholic translation for private devotion and reading. If you are doing a study, use the approved version used by the authors or leaders of the study particularly if you are working with a group. If you are doing catechesis based on the lectionary, use the lectionary or the translation approved for lectionary in your country.
 
you can use any approved CAtholic translation for private devotion and reading.
Which ones are approved and which ones should we stay away from? I read the article on this site but honestly being unfamiliar with many of the versions it didn’t make much sense to me.
 
I was literally just wondering this myself as I’m in the position that I now have two Bibles at home, both are great but I’d love to have a smaller one for while I’m “on the go” the KJV is the most popular pocket bible I can find and is fairly cheap. It’s my understanding that it’s not complete by Catholic standards but I wonder, is there anything wrong with using it for the aforementioned purpose?
It’s never been approved by the Holy See for use in the liturgy, and it’s not been approved by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops for use by Catholics in the United States. I doubt it has been approved in any other country. There is one place that I know of where the New Testament is translated in the interest of anti-Catholic polemics, and I understand there are more. If you read the introduction of the translators to the reader you will see that the translators were not fond of Catholicism at all. They openly criticized the original Douay-Rheims translation of the New Testament in that introduction, even though it is now known that they consulted it.

The King James Version is the best literary work in the English language, so I completely understand why you would want to use it. Too bad it doesn’t come in a Catholic version like the Revised Standard Version, but we would just be accused of altering the text of the Bible, since so many Protestants consider the King James Version as on a level with the Hebrew and Greek original, or nearly so. The Queen of England might also object, since in England the Crown has a copyright on it.
 
Which ones are approved and which ones should we stay away from? I read the article on this site but honestly being unfamiliar with many of the versions it didn’t make much sense to me.
The lectionary in the United States is based on the New American Bible (NAB), except the current NAB translation of the Psalms was rejected by the Holy See for use in the liturgy. The Psalms in the lectionary are based on the 1970 edition of the Psalms. If you want a Bible with that translation of the Psalms you’ll have to buy it used. In the Old Testament the lectionary is based on the 1970 edition, and they’re coming out with a revision soon (not in the lectionary, just the Bible marketed for sale), so I suspect if anyone wants the 1970 edition of the Old Testament they’d better not let any grass grow under their feet. The New Testament in the lectionary is based on NAB New Testament, revised in 1986. There’s no revision of that on the horizon as far as I know. It should be noted that the lectionary makes some modifications in the NAB text, so the current situation, alas, is that in the United States we have no English Bible that corresponds exactly with the lectionary.

In Europe the English translation used in the mass is the Jerusalem Bible (not the New Jerusalem Bible), except the Psalms are the Grail translation (the original, not the newer “inclusive” version), which, interestingly, is the translation of the Psalms used in the Liturgy of the Hours even in the United States. Modifications were made in the text for use in the liturgy, notably, whereas the Jerusalem Bible uses “Yahweh” as the name of God in the Old Testament, the lectionary changes that to the more traditional “the Lord”. The Catholic Truth Society has come out with a Bible that corresponds exactly with the Bible used in the European liturgy. If I’m not mistaken, it used to be permissible to use the Jerusalem Bible in the liturgy in the United States.

The Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition, has been approved for use in the Mass before, but it is not in use in the United States any longer. Then, of course, there is the time-honored Douay-Rheims version, Challoner revision. I heard this translation being used at a Tridentine Mass I used to attend once in awhile.

In addition to these, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops posts the translations approved by that body for private study. As of today, they are:
**
USCCB Approved Translations of the Sacred Scriptures
1991 – Present**

Books of the New Testament, Alba House

Contemporary English Version - New Testament, First Edition, American Bible Society

Contemporary English Version - Book of Psalms, American Bible Society

Contemporary English Version - Book of Proverbs, American Bible Society

The Grail Psalter (Inclusive Language Version), G.I.A. Publications

New American Bible, Revised Old Testament

New Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition, National Council of Churches

The Psalms, Alba House

The Psalms (New International Version) – St. Joseph Catholic Edition, Catholic Book Publishing Company

The Psalms – St. Joseph New Catholic Version, Catholic Book Publishing Company

**Revised Psalms of the New American Bible **

So You May Believe, A Translation of the Four Gospels, Alba House

Today’s English Version, Second Edition, American Bible Society

Translation for Early Youth, A Translation of the New Testament for Children, Contemporary English Version, American Bible Society

For what it’s worth, I like the St. Joseph New Catholic Version of the Psalms, and give it my fairly meaningless endorsement.
 
I doubt it has been approved in any other country. There is one place that I know of where the New Testament is translated in the interest of anti-Catholic polemics, and I understand there are more. If you read the introduction of the translators to the reader you will see that the translators were not fond of Catholicism at all. They openly criticized the original Douay-Rheims translation of the New Testament in that introduction, even though it is now known that they consulted it.
So what would be some examples of what you are talking about here? Can you also describe what the differences would be between a “Roman Catholic” KJV, and a non- Roman Catholic KJV?
 
The King James Version is the best literary work in the English language, so I completely understand why you would want to use it. Too bad it doesn’t come in a Catholic version like the Revised Standard Version, but we would just be accused of altering the text of the Bible, since so many Protestants consider the King James Version as on a level with the Hebrew and Greek original, or nearly so. The Queen of England might also object, since in England the Crown has a copyright on it.
I’d disagree with you on this. I think the DRB is far superior to the KJB. The period English is essentially the same, but it has all the books and is just as readable.

You can find authentic editions (new) of the 1611 KJV if you just gotta get one. They contain all the books and are especially handy for use with KJ only types who will quickly tell you that they only accept “the 1611 King James Version Bible” as inspired. It ruins their whole weekend when you hand them one that has the Deuterocanonical books in it and point out that that really is a 1611 edition unlike the one they generally have in their hand.:whistle:
So what would be some examples of what you are talking about here? Can you also describe what the differences would be between a “Roman Catholic” KJV, and a non- Roman Catholic KJV?
Dude…there is no such thing as a Catholic KJB. That’s all folks…

Amazon has used copies of the Confraternity Bible if you are interested P101.

THE HOLY BIBLE: Confraternity Version. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DuPNzExbL.SL135.jpg
Bible in English.
Hardcover

BTW, I saw mention of a good pocket Bible. I have one that I love and it fits comfortably in my cargo pants side pockets.RSV Catholic Bible, Compact
christianbooksbibles.com/images/productthumb/019/9780195288513.jpg
Retail: $29.99
Our Price: $22.49
You Save: $7.50 (25%)
Code:
           In Stock
                 ISBN-13: 9780195288513
 
Well Mr Militant, someone else above mentioned a “Roman Catholic KJV.” I was only asking about it. So far I don’t know of ANY Bible that is “Catholic.”
 
So what would be some examples of what you are talking about here? Can you also describe what the differences would be between a “Roman Catholic” KJV, and a non- Roman Catholic KJV?
I was just kidding about the Catholic KJV.

As far as translator bias goes, the one I know about is where Jesus is made to say, in the Sermon on the Mount, that one should not use “vain repetitions” in prayer. The RSV more accurately translates “heap up empty phrases.” The “repetitions” part of “vain repetitions” is a clear swipe at the Rosary, and isn’t an accurate translation. But there are others who know more about this particular issue than I do. I was just trying to help a fellow Catholic know what translations are approved for Catholic use. Of course, if you’re not Catholic, you wouldn’t be bound by that. As for the original introduction, few KJV Bibles in print have it, but if you read it you will see that the translators were not sympathetic to the Catholic position, and didn’t even believe that the Catholic Church was a true church.
 
I’d disagree with you on this. I think the DRB is far superior to the KJB. The period English is essentially the same, but it has all the books and is just as readable.

You can find authentic editions (new) of the 1611 KJV if you just gotta get one. They contain all the books and are especially handy for use with KJ only types who will quickly tell you that they only accept “the 1611 King James Version Bible” as inspired. It ruins their whole weekend when you hand them one that has the Deuterocanonical books in it and point out that that really is a 1611 edition unlike the one they generally have in their hand.:whistle:Dude…there is no such thing as a Catholic KJB. That’s all folks…

Amazon has used copies of the Confraternity Bible if you are interested P101.
ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DuPNzExbL.SL135.jpg
THE HOLY BIBLE: Confraternity Version. Bible in English.
Hardcover

BTW, I saw mention of a good pocket Bible. I have one that I love and it fits comfortably in my cargo pants side pockets.RSV Catholic Bible, Compact
christianbooksbibles.com/images/productthumb/019/9780195288513.jpg
Retail: $29.99
Our Price: $22.49
You Save: $7.50 (25%)
Code:
           In Stock
                 ISBN-13: 9780195288513
I think the Douay-Rheims is more accurate, but I can’t agree that it has the literary excellence of the KJV. It’s really not the period English that makes for the literary beauty of the KJV, but its cadence and rhythm. I just wish the KJV was an accurate translation as well.
 
I was just kidding about the Catholic KJV.

As far as translator bias goes, the one I know about is where Jesus is made to say, in the Sermon on the Mount, that one should not use “vain repetitions” in prayer. The RSV more accurately translates “heap up empty phrases.” The “repetitions” part of “vain repetitions” is a clear swipe at the Rosary, and isn’t an accurate translation. But there are others who know more about this particular issue than I do. I was just trying to help a fellow Catholic know what translations are approved for Catholic use. Of course, if you’re not Catholic, you wouldn’t be bound by that. As for the original introduction, few KJV Bibles in print have it, but if you read it you will see that the translators were not sympathetic to the Catholic position, and didn’t even believe that the Catholic Church was a true church.
OK Thx. I guess you mean they didn’t believe Roman Catholics were a true Church; just like your church says I do not belong to a true Church. What a mix up!
 
OK Thx. I guess you mean they didn’t believe Roman Catholics were a true Church; just like your church says I do not belong to a true Church. What a mix up!
Honestly, I don’t know a lot about your denomination, or what the Church says about it. We recognize many Protestant baptisms, and acknowledge many Protestants as Christians. Of course, we see ourselves as the Church because we have the Petrine ministry and our history goes back to Christ and the Apostles.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top