Questions about Muhammed

• Thread starter Thread starter Jovian90
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • How would Catholics explain Muhammed’s revelations?
  • Where, according to Catholics did Muhammed get the inspiration to start Islam?
Either demonic influence, sincerely held self-deception (“seeing visions”, “hearing voices”, and thinking they are real), or outright charlatanism — or a combination of any or all three.

The same could be said of Joseph Smith and possibly other false prophets.

No disrespect intended to the followers of these religions, just stating the fact.

the original Catholics do. I have seen idol of Mary in the houses of Catholics. Not all worship Mary. but the radical Catholics do. They dont openly say that. 💭
This is baseless slander, really. And you seem to have misunderstood what an idol is. An idol is a statue or image believed to be a god or to be inhabited by a god and which is worshipped by virtue of being a statue or idol. Thus, if you destroy the idol, the worship ceases, a feature of ancient paganism. Statues in and of themselves are not idolatrous unless worshipped, in and of themselves, as gods. And no, Catholics don’t worship Mary or her statue, no one “does not say that they do”, because they don’t. Mary is a venerated saint. She has no power by herself, her power derives solely from her God-given ability to hear, help, and convey the prayers of the faithful to the Lord both through her role as Mother of God and as a participant in the communion of Saints.

I understand Protestant theology does not have these nuances, but it’s quite incorrect to say Catholics worship Mary.

Why don’t they honor David then? Or Adam? the ancestor of Mary? there would be no Mary if there is no David. I honor Mary and Abraham not because of their status but because of their love for God.
Because David and Adam are not full of grace as the angel Gabriel proclaimed to Mary. Because neither of them held God incarnate in their bodies for nine months and served God with as much devotion and love as she did. You falsely assume we only care for her status. We love her because of her great love of God, that love that inspired her words, “May it be done unto me according to thy will.”
Even if u honor someone u dont have to worship them right? honor is high respect for someone but to worship is to treat that person as the most important thing in yr life. There can only be one to worship. We can worship no one but God.
Please stop saying we worship Mary like God. It’s patronizing, wrong, and insulting. I do not view Mary as God or a god. I do not worship her like I do God. Did you read the link I gave you?

Why don’t they honor David then? Or Adam
Adam and David are venerated in the Catholic Church.
I honor Mary and Abraham not because of their status but because of their love for God. Even if u honor someone u dont have to worship them right? honor is high respect for someone but to worship is to treat that person as the most important thing in yr life. There can only be one to worship. We can worship no one but God.
Catholics don’t treat Mary or any saint as the most thing in their lives. You are making a false assumption about the beliefs of others. I would like to politely ask you to stick to concrete facts about the theology and beliefs of the Catholic Church when discussing the issue and not rely on unfounded assumptions.

Please stop saying we worship Mary like God. It’s patronizing, wrong, and insulting. I do not view Mary as God or a god. I do not worship her like I do God. Did you read the link I gave you?
If she/he admits that, they’ll have to admit their Protestant beliefs are wrong. That’s why some Protestants find it so difficult to give up their misconceptions about the Catholic Church. These misconceptions form the base which they use to validate their beliefs and admitting that Catholics don’t worship Mary/Satan, etc
, wrote the Bible, and have the historical continuity and legitimacy of the Apostolic Church and the evidence to prove it would be like pulling the rug from under their own feet.

Last edited:
catholics pray to Mary?
I actually consider this an invalid point of debate, for the following reason:

Catholic theology believes that prayer takes three forms: Latria, which is offered to God alone, hyperdulia, which translates to “high veneration” and is offered to Mary in her status as Mother of the Saviour, and dulia, which is offered to the Saints. Only the first one, latria, is considered worship, since it is directed directly God and relies on God’s direct power to grant prayers. The other two are intercessory, meaning they are addressed to God indirectly through His saints, who participate in His communion and help us grow in Holiness and closeness to the Lord. But Protestants reject this theology, and consider all prayer to be worship, conveniently chucking all the above theology into the metaphorical garbage can. Your question is nothing more than a tactic commonly used by Protestants to draw an “aha” moment for yourselves and which is really based on your quite oversimplistic theology which is not suitable for a discussion of Catholicism. Nope. You want to discuss Catholicism, you discuss according to Catholic theology, not Protestant, which was mostly engineered to invalidate the Catholic Church.

Furthermore, here’s a question for you:

You say you are a Christian who believes in the authority of the Bible. Who do you believe gave this book called the Bible its authority?

Last edited:
Also, the Trinity is made of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, not Mary, Jesus, and God.

allow me to explain. đŸ€­
Catholic: worships Mary, believes in bypassing Purgatory before reaching heaven.
Muslim: believes that Jesus is just a prophet but not the Son of God or Saviour of the World
Christians: Believe that God sent His Son Jesus to die on the cross to save whoever that believes in Him.
I disagree with your characterization of Catholic belief about Mary (and Purgatory, for that matter), but I am aware of the basic tenets of both Catholicism and Islam. The question was how do Catholics view Islamic revelations and inspiration. My point is that every religion believe in the truth of their own beliefs, and disbelieves in the others. If Catholics found the revelations to Mohammed to be authentic and true, they would likely become Muslims. If Muslims found the writings of Paul and the Evangelists to be correct, they would likely become Christians. That seems obvious to me, which leaves me wondering what the OP’s question really is.

Compare Muhammed to Moses. Both were military commanders, both gave monotheism and the Law to their respective peoples. But Moses was the Prophet of YHWH’s chosen people whereas Muhammed was the prophet of the Ishmaelites who were banished to Arabia. Therefore, where Moses spoke to YHWH face to face and thereby received the Law, Muhammed had to be content with the hand-me-down Laws that he got from Judaism and with bits of Christianity (Mohammed appears to not have had access to the written Gospels.) Out of these Muhammed cobbled together a religion for the Ishmaelites.

Was it a legitimate religion? Consider the story of the pagan woman who begged for a cure from Jesus and got an insult instead: “It is not fitting to take the children’s food and feed it to the dogs.”
I think that this woman’s humble reply proves the legitimacy of Islam, “Yes, Master, but even the dogs may feed on the scraps that fall from the children’s table.”

Last edited:
In Mecca the people considered him to be a kook. But once he moved to Medina he became a warlord.

Last edited:
Logically from a Catholic perspective it cannot be a revealed religion.

God gave his only son in sacrifice for our sins , he preached that we love and forgiveness and then 500yrs later Mohammed comes along with the Qur’an overturning that. It does not contain anything of Jesus’ message and is more like the Old Testament.

In Mecca the people considered him to be a kook. But once he moved to Medina he became a warlord
Yup
In Mecca he taught some pretty kooky stuff: That there is only one God, for example; that this God is the Creator and Sustainer of all things; that He is the Lord of Mercy and Giver of Mercy; that He alone is the One we should turn to for help and guidance in our religious lives; that there will be a general resurrection, followed by personal judgement; and that the Arabs were wrong to bury alive their unwanted female children. Yes, lots of kooky stuff there
stuff that no Catholic could possible agree with!

In Medina he was not a ‘warlord’; he was a head of state - the leader of a people under threat of extinction at the hands of their enemies. He taught that, when attacked, his people had every right to defend themselves. Yet more kooky stuff
stuff you would never expect of your own head of state, I’m sure.

Last edited:
I said that in Mecca he was considered to be a kook. He went to the top of a look-out mountain and proclaimed that he was a prophet. One time at prayer at the Kaaba someone put camel guts on him.

In Medina he was indeed a warlord; he both led and ordered attacks on caravans. He was also a lawgiver. His wife Aisha thought it interesting that some revelations of his suited his special needs like he could marry the wife of his step-son etc

Last edited:
Just to make it clear I did not say that Mohammed himself was a kook but that others in Mecca did.

Last edited:
Just to make it clear I did not say that Mohammed himself was a kook but that others in Mecca did.
Agreed.

Opposition to the Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) started when he began to preach against polytheism.

As the number of his followers grew, so did the likelihood that people would forsake idolatry; would no longer pay for the privilege of worshipping their favourite idol at the KaÊżbah. In short, the Prophet was a threat to the wealth of the Quraysh; the keepers of that place. According to the Cambridge History of Islam, he was offered privileged status in exchange for abandoning his message. He refused.

In sĆ«rah ‘Ya Sin’ we read: ‘Alas for human beings! Whenever a messenger comes to them they ridicule him.’ (Verse 30).

The Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) was considered ‘kooky’ because – among other things – he preached the general resurrection of the dead. The Meccans were not alone in believing this to be a ridiculous notion:

‘(People say): “Who can give life back to bones after they have decayed?” Say, “He who created them in the first place will give them life again: He has full knowledge of every act of creation

Is He who created the heavens and earth not able to create the likes of these people? Of course He is! He is the All Knowing Creator: when He wills something to be, His way is to say, “Be” – and it is! So glory be to Him in whose Hand lies control over all things. It is to Him that you will all be brought back.’ (Ya Sin: 78-79; 81-83).

We should not be surprised that Muhammad was considered ‘kooky’, for: ‘Truly, I say to you, no prophet is acceptable in his hometown.’ (Luke 4:24).

Muslims call him a prophet. My question is what is the prophecy of Muhammad? What did he predict?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back