Raising Kids Catholic

  • Thread starter Thread starter whichwaytogo47
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Then stick to the Sacraments of the Catholic Church. Don’t let them get baptized outside of it, because they’ll be baptized outside of the Church.
You’re correct as that means they must be received into the church. While trying to get them baptized so they could go to CCD, I might be missing the whole picture just because I want them to get baptized. I meant well, but need to really think this thru.
 
I do not believe the Catholic Church will baptize if there’s not mutual consent to raise the kids Catholic or the request for them to be baptized.
This is not correct.

Baptism of infants requires the consent of one parent and the baptismal promises can be made by that one parent.

If your wife were actively against it I imagine the priest would delay baptism. But if she is neither for nor against then she doesn’t have to explicitly consent.
 
One thing I wonder about is why all kids get confirmed at the same time when some kids might be ready at 13 to make a commitment to be a lifelong practicing Catholic
You seem to be under a misconception regarding what Confirmation is. It is not “making a commitment to be a lifelong practicing Catholic”. That commitment happens at baptism. Confirmation confirms baptism and bestows the gifts of the Holy Spirit. It is the bishop who confirms, not the child. It is not a “choice” to be a Catholic, they already are a Catholic. All Catholics are obliged to be confirmed when the bishop calls them.
 
You’re correct as that means they must be received into the church. While trying to get them baptized so they could go to CCD, I might be missing the whole picture just because I want them to get baptized. I meant well, but need to really think this thru.
If you do postpone baptism until they are older— NOT recommending that by the way— I don’t understand why you don’t have them baptized in the Catholic Church at that age?

Why would you have them baptized in another ecclesial community and then go through the process of reception into the Catholic Church?

That doesn’t make any sense.
 
But isn’t it more important that they become Catholic than the process or those picky details?
I think that ship has sailed.
You have children, in a mixed marriage, and the spouse may not be amenable to raising the children exclusively Catholic…if I understand correctly.

Of course, talk with the spouse. You need the support, or at the very least to be honest about what is intended. As common ground, you both are working towards the very best for the children.

You have an advantage…truth.
You also have the Tradition as well as the small t tradition. Details have to be included. There is an endless supply of history and minutia to use as trivia to keep the kids interested.
Books. There is a fairly large selection of apologetics texts available from both EWTN as well as CA that you should read and be familiar with.

You have to be both teacher and example.
Arm yourself well.
 
People can fall away from the Church and do all sorts of sinful things. They can then go to Confession and be reconciled to the Church.

Every Deacon has sinned in their life. Each candidate goes through a process to discern, prior sins do not disqualify one from entering the Deaconate discernment/formation.
 
First thing I would do is either order this DVD, or, watch the video on Amazon Prime

https://www.amazon.com/Common-Groun...und+catholic+protestant&qid=1570628094&sr=8-2

Watch it yourself, then, sit down and watch it with your wife.

Next, get as subscription to Formed.org (your parish may have one waiting for you).

Watch the series “Reborn”, then, ask your wife watch it. Read the study guides together.

Give her the opportunity to explore the teachings on Baptism.

Continue sharing things on Formed.org, keep the conversation going.

Remind her of your promises made to God before your marriage, and that she was made aware of those promises. Ask her to allow you to keep those promises.
 
People can fall away from the Church and do all sorts of sinful things. They can then go to Confession and be reconciled to the Church.

Every Deacon has sinned in their life. Each candidate goes through a process to discern, prior sins do not disqualify one from entering the Deaconate discernment/formation.
Thanks so much for your careful reply.
 
OP, I don’t have any advice I can provide here, but I just wanted to let you know that I think you sound like a very thoughtful and respectful human being. I appreciate that, and I think you will make a wonderful father.
 
40.png
QwertyGirl:
OP, I don’t have any advice I can provide here, but I just wanted to let you know that I think you sound like a very thoughtful and respectful human being. I appreciate that, and I think you will make a wonderful father.
Hugs. That meant so much!

If there’s one sin I will struggle with in teaching kids, it is doubt. I will need God’s help in overcoming the cross of worrying or doubting.
 
Last edited:
I would encourage you to consider that doubt can be a very useful thing. When you are doubting, it means there is a good possiblity you should be questioning. Questioning can lead to learning, and learning can lead to empowerment (the good kind).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top