Raising Kids Catholic

  • Thread starter Thread starter whichwaytogo47
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Always a good idea.
The fact that you are asking those question makes me believe that yes, you want to spare her feelings, but perhaps you want to keep the peace more than anything. You need to learn more about Catholicism so you can lead her and someday, your children.

As to your second comment, I believe that the other churches continue to grow because some people don’t like rules. They go to church to feel good, hear the choir and listen to God’s word, and not have too many rules. The Catholic Church has lost people because they “don’t change with the times.” That is a good thing for many Catholics, but not for those that choose to leave.
Definitely true.
 
Last edited:
I have no idea what you’re apologizing for.
Me neither. I apologize too often too. Both of you were awesome. Thanks for your time.

Sometimes the way I learn, it takes me longer to interpret and comprehend things. I am very analytical and creative. I can be quite disorganized in my thought process and how I present my beliefs.
 
Last edited:
So you are going to let them decide?
If properly catechized.
What hope is there that anyone would choose less than the truth?

The key is proper catechesis…don’t just rely on CCD or RCIC, pick up the books and teach them yourself.
Also… NEVER miss Mass.
You are being watched. And some are looking for a sign that your faith is optional. Do not give anyone that latitude.
 
If properly catechized.
What hope is there that anyone would choose less than the truth?

The key is proper catechesis…don’t just rely on CCD or RCIC, pick up the books and teach them yourself.
Also… NEVER miss Mass.
You are being watched. And some are looking for a sign that your faith is optional. Do not give anyone that latitude.
+1 What an amazing post! Still, I would like my kid to be in CCD even before they were baptized.

The one thing I do appreciate is the intentionality of her faith, something I think is important as a practicing Catholic. One thing I wonder about is why all kids get confirmed at the same time when some kids might be ready at 13 to make a commitment to be a lifelong practicing Catholic and others might be 17, 18, 19, 20, or 21. If I learn anything from my cousins, to the best of my knowledge (I could be wrong) once they got confirmed at 17 or about a year after getting confirmed when they went off to college, they stopped going to church which is really frustrating to me. Well, there is one cousin whom at age 40 has come back to the church because his wife converted to Catholicism.

Meanwhile some of the people that come into the church thru RCIA are some of the strongest Catholics that I know, they love their faith, have an intensive prayer life, and really have a strong relationship with Jesus.
 
Last edited:
I would like my kid to be in CCD even before they were baptized.
Absolutely.
The kid needs to be very deep into the church.
Not just for the catechesis, but also the social network.
Many Protestant churches operate on social ties, having that already established in the true church is just one less battle to fight later on.
 
Why are you waiting on a “believer baptism”? Canon law encourages baptism within the first few weeks of life. Did the priest who married ya’ll know you were planning to wait baptism for years?? I am really not sure that qualifies as raising your kids Catholic. Perhaps a priest can chime in here. It is not just a disagreement about semantics that we say baptism washes away sin but your wife feels it is a profession of faith. What if you explain that the kids will need to be baptized as infants and the can profess their faith at Confirmation??
 
Why are you waiting on a “believer baptism”? Canon law encourages baptism within the first few weeks of life. Did the priest who married ya’ll know you were planning to wait baptism for years?? I am really not sure that qualifies as raising your kids Catholic. Perhaps a priest can chime in here. It is not just a disagreement about semantics that we say baptism washes away sin but your wife feels it is a profession of faith. What if you explain that the kids will need to be baptized as infants and the can profess their faith at Confirmation??
Great points. The priest and bishop whom allowed us to get married knew of this. It’s my responsibility (not my wife’s) to get them baptized. That said, as I’ve said earlier, I do not believe the Catholic Church will baptize if there’s not mutual consent to raise the kids Catholic or the request for them to be baptized. But how many teens actually are truly making a profession of faith vs how many get confirmed via peer pressure? You don’t get 32 out of 40 not go to church and conclude that their decision to get confirmed was anything but peer pressure.

They get confirmed because we trust that the Holy Spirit will work in their hearts.
 
Last edited:
I already told you, “mutual consent” is not how the law is worded. It says that baptism may be delayed (but not withheld) if there is not a founded hope that the child will be raised Catholic.

You really need to talk to your priest. You’re not going to get good information here necessarily.

-Father ACEGC
 
You also need to stop worrying about how intensely others are practicing their faith. You’ve mentioned this in a few posts now, and it’s not a good attitude. It’s almost like you’re trying to validate not living up to what you’ve promised by saying that others don’t do it.
 
already told you, “mutual consent” is not how the law is worded. It says that baptism may be delayed (but not withheld) if there is not a founded hope that the child will be raised Catholic.

You really need to talk to your priest. You’re not going to get good information here necessarily.

-Father ACEGC
What’s the difference between delayed and withheld? I thought we were just delaying it not withholding it?
 
It can’t be completely denied, just delayed until such time that that hope is there.

And in your case, I would think there needs to be a push in the other direction, namely not delaying baptism, which you seem pretty set on doing.
 
You also need to stop worrying about how intensely others are practicing their faith. You’ve mentioned this in a few posts now, and it’s not a good attitude. It’s almost like you’re trying to validate not living up to what you’ve promised by saying that others don’t do it.
You’re correct Father. I was mistaken. It’s a misunderstanding on my part, not an intentional trying to judge others. Would people make a better profession of faith if people got confirmed at different ages?
 
Last edited:
I do not believe the Catholic Church will baptize if there’s not mutual consent to raise the kids Catholic or the request for them to be baptized. But how many teens actually are truly making a profession of faith vs how many get confirmed via peer pressure? You don’t get 32 out of 40 not go to church and conclude that their decision to get confirmed was anything but peer pressure.
I believe only one parent needs to consent for baptism. You just can’t baptize a child with zero parental consent (ie, a grandparent can’t take the child to be baptized against the parents’ wishes).

Re: confirmation. I’m surprised you say this! Just because “most” may receive Confirmation due to peer pressure doesn’t mean that’s how it needs to be for YOUR kids who will clearly be well catechized! I’m sure that for them it will be the profession of faith it should be!
 
Re: confirmation. I’m surprised you say this! Just because “most” may receive Confirmation due to peer pressure doesn’t mean that’s how it needs to be for YOUR kids who will clearly be well catechized! I’m sure that for them it will be the profession of faith it should be!
Thanks. I agree with you. I guess I wish more confirmed Catholics practiced their faith regularly.

But I agree that if I do my job as a parent, my kids should be properly catechized and it will be a legitimate profession of faith. I’ll need a lot of prayers to do that well because I’m not good enough. Only the Holy Spirit can make sure I instruct my kids well.
 
Last edited:
Which is the whole problem here. You need to work that out.
 
It’s not really important to the discussion.
You’re correct. But we also must be doing something wrong in our cathechism if so many people are walking away from the church after becoming confirmed. That’s a failure of how we teach our kids both as parents and as the church. Of course, I care very deeply about my kids living a very rich faith life and as I learned from here, that’s by getting my faith life in order and leading by example.

Maybe it was my confirmation that led me back to the church at age 24 and my cousin at age 40?
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top