Rapture, a Revalations Timeline, and Confusion

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rawb
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A review on the David Currie’s excellent book about the protestant rapture. Also see reviews at amazon.
After reading this book you won’t be confused or deceived again about ANY of these so called ‘end-times’ things.

carl-olson.com/book%20reviews/currie_rapture.html
well, yeah, up until a point we won’t be confused. But these books do not solve the ultimate apocalyptic questions. they barely even skim them. These books just respond with preterism, which doesn’t really probe to any significant extent of the apoc questions. Knowing temporal details of Early Church history is about just as worthless as knowing the fundamentalist’s futurist details. For in between the first century and the last century, there is the entire age of the Church, where Christ completes His Plan for the redemption of humanity, a plan that is spiritual in nature. Hence, there are truly great spiritual ages of history both in the Old and the New. That’s what the apoc Q’s are ultimately about, not **** like helicopters at the end of the world torturing people for five months, or knowing that the war in the fall of Jerusalem was literally “five months”.:rolleyes:
 
I absolutely agree that Christian division is one of the most major causes of the loss of faith, and hence, must be in some sense a part of the apoc Q’s. But you seem to have a one-sided view of this: yes, there is sin, but also Redemption. Hence, your argument is typical Augustinian pessimism: there is always major sin along with major goodness. It is a field of wheat and weeds, and there must always be lots of weeds. Hence, there can never be full unity because of sin, therefore Christ’s prayer in John 17 is ultimately bad news only, only about sin: because of sin there will always be division, and hence, because of division the world will lose faith and will never come back because of it.

I disagree with this. I am utterly convinced that St. Augustine didn’t have everything figured out. Rather, the earlier Fathers who were “supposedly” chilaists are closer to the truth: the wheat and tares is NOT the be all tell all text of the apoc. The Days of Creation and the Beast are. Hence, rather than that we have a field of even mixture of good and evil, it is rather that evil and good ALTERNATE in prevalence: that is, FIRST comes evening (sin), THEN comes morning (Redemption), for the days that we go through are NOT a continuous gray. No, first comes darkness, then comes light.

Hence, Christ’s prayer in John 17 is TWO-sided, not one-sided. FIRST, because of sin, Christians will become divided, and this wound will cause the sun to set spiritually (the world will lose faith because of the scandal). BUT, Christ can abandon the apostate world into the consequences of its total denial of religion, and they rediscover their need for religion. And not only that, but the minor chastisement not only unveils the errors of the apostates, but of ALL the non-Catholic errors, including the errors of the separated Christians, and so, recogninzing their need for the fullness of truth and grace, Christians are reunited by the miinor apostasy and trib, and because they are RESTORED to love of one another and union in faith and practice, the world IS able to believe, and Catholicism is gloriously restored, that is, the sun RISES again.

To summarize, FIRST, because of sin, Christians become divided, and the world LOSES faith. But THEN, Christians are reunited, and the world REGAINS faith. First the sun sets, then the sun rises. Not one continous period of gray, as with Augustine.
Well, I sure could make a long response. Yet, truthfully since you are now placing me in your pre-conceived box (Augustinian) and since you personally seem to have everything all wrapped up, I suppose the only thing left is for the Vatican to publish your interpretation of the Apocalypse and stamp it as infallible.

We have two utterly different views of the book. I believe, after much study btw, that Revelation has many layers of symbolism, but also contains literal narrative thread of the entire history of the Church. I believe that we are at the beginning of the Great Tribulation. It is also my view that “some” generation will be the final generation and that pretty everyone wants to think they are NOT the ones to see the end times come into view…yet it is my opinion that we have entered that very period.

Further, it is not at all impossible that the GT is going to last a very long time and that the world wars themselves were part of that GT, followed now by a huge global apostasy created from within the Church.

Do I think that God is about love, forgiveness, redemption, etc.? Yes, I do.

Do I also think that God is about justice and is going to come back? Yes, I do.

Do I think that we have entered that period leading up to Jesus’ return? Yes, I do.

Do I know how long it will take? No, I haven’t got a clue?

Do I think my opinion is every bit as valid as yours? Yes, I do, because no-one in the Church can yet tell us what the definitive interpretation is–so until that day comes, we are free to study these issues and come to our own conclusions bearing in mind that we must not ever contradict any Church teachings.

Am I also a nutcase about the Apocalypse? Yes, I am. 🙂
 
Well, I sure could make a long response. Yet, truthfully since you are now placing me in your pre-conceived box (Augustinian) and since you personally seem to have everything all wrapped up, I suppose the only thing left is for the Vatican to publish your interpretation of the Apocalypse and stamp it as infallible.

We have two utterly different views of the book. I believe, after much study btw, that Revelation has many layers of symbolism, but also contains literal narrative thread of the entire history of the Church. I believe that we are at the beginning of the Great Tribulation. It is also my view that “some” generation will be the final generation and that pretty everyone wants to think they are NOT the ones to see the end times come into view…yet it is my opinion that we have entered that very period.

Further, it is not at all impossible that the GT is going to last a very long time and that the world wars themselves were part of that GT, followed now by a huge global apostasy created from within the Church.

Do I think that God is about love, forgiveness, redemption, etc.? Yes, I do.

Do I also think that God is about justice and is going to come back? Yes, I do.

Do I think that we have entered that period leading up to Jesus’ return? Yes, I do.

Do I know how long it will take? No, I haven’t got a clue?

Do I think my opinion is every bit as valid as yours? Yes, I do, because no-one in the Church can yet tell us what the definitive interpretation is–so until that day comes, we are free to study these issues and come to our own conclusions bearing in mind that we must not ever contradict any Church teachings.

Am I also a nutcase about the Apocalypse? Yes, I am. 🙂
Dear Tom,

Please accept my apology, I have unfairly lumped you in with St. Augustine. I am sorry for that. Can you please forgive me? Nor would I ever want to believe that I am dogma. But I’ve been meditating on these questions for quite some time, and they never seem to go away. Based on this, I am utterly convinced (although I know I’m not infallible) that we are not in the very last manifestation of sin in human history but the second-to-last. I have faith that Christ can give humanity a dress-rehearsal for the end of the world that will succeed in teaching them the greatest lesson of human history. I don’t think the modern world is fully culpable for their current apostasy, seeing as the period from 350 -1700 is soaked in the blood of religious conflict. First Muslims kill Christians, then Christians kill Muslims. Then Catholics kill Eastern Catholics, so Eastern Catholics say, take a hike, we don’t need Rome. Then Western Bishops have people horribly tortured and killed because they objectively in error. Then Western bishops become mostly hypocrites, so the Protestants say we don’t need you either. Then Catholics kill Protestants, Protestants kill Catholics, and then Protestants kill other types of Protestants. And so you like in the face of all this, you feel that humanity is still without any excuse for its indifference to religion?

No, I don’t think that. If this is how it must end, it really means that the NT Cov is LESS efficacious than old, at least relative to those that receive them. BTW, JPII did not say the end is upon us. He preached a new springtime Millennium. How can in the hell can the world even last for another 100 years if apostasy continues? Hence, only conclusion I can surmise is JPII was expecting a great restoration.

Anyway, though, I realize none of us are infallible, but I feel very strongly about this. I don’t think God is done with humanity yet. I believe He can draw a greater good from all this.

🙂
 
Those mystics are not approved by the Church and Catholics are not bound to believe them. Having said that, Mary stated in visions that we would enjoy an era of peace under two conditions: (1) Russie must be converted; (2) The Christian world (Catholic) must turn away from sin and back to God. Mary made it clear that she could not help avert the coming trials if we did not listen to her warnings.

We have not listened to her warnings, the world is more sinful now, then when she gave those warnings, and I personally doubt that Russia has been converted.
But Desmond Birch, who only references fullly approved Private REvelations, says the age of peace is NOT conditional. It absolutely will come no matter what. What is conditional is not the age of peace but the chastisement that MAY precede the age of peace.

About Fatima, my understanding was, Her Heart will triumph no matter what, regardless of whether Her requests are heeded or not. Because if we follow the requests, Her Heart will Triumph, but even if we ignore them, the nuclear holocaust will force people to come to grips with faith and Her Heart will triumph.

Where have you studied that Her Triumph is conditional only?
 
BTW, as a corollary, consider the Two Witnesses. There comes a point that the beast “kills” them, and the world “celebrates and sends gifts to one another” that the prophets are dead (analogously Scripture and Tradition).

But then the breath of life reenters them and people begin to fear them again.

Finally they are assumed and exalted into Heaven.

This is clearly based on the OT: in the period immediately preceding the Babylonian invasion and exile, the Jews had “killed” the prophets, either literally or by ignoring them or ridiculing them. They were utterly oblivious the warnings of doom and of their sin. But when Babylon swept down and slaughtered half of them and carried them away, THEN they began to reconsider the prophets and turn back to God. And ultimately they were restored to the Lord and brought back home.

It’s the same thing today. The modern European Civs and their derivatives are utterly oblivious to any of the Gospel. They live in unimaginable comfort and luxury, and so they have no spiritual sense whatsoever. And they “celebrate” that they are free from all religion and its supposed overly strict morality.

But when or if the nuclear holocaust of Our Lady of Fatima comes, their comforts shall be taken away and they shall seriously reconsider their need for God (and a great fear fell upon all who saw them). And again, fully approved mystics, according to the testimony of Birch’s 23 year research, confirms this: the minor apostasy and conditional trib will reunite Christendom, bring humanity to its knees, and gloriously restore the Gospel.

I cannot see how you can think that is hogwash?
 
But Desmond Birch, who only references fullly approved Private REvelations, says the age of peace is NOT conditional. It absolutely will come no matter what. What is conditional is not the age of peace but the chastisement that MAY precede the age of peace.

About Fatima, my understanding was, Her Heart will triumph no matter what, regardless of whether Her requests are heeded or not. Because if we follow the requests, Her Heart will Triumph, but even if we ignore them, the nuclear holocaust will force people to come to grips with faith and Her Heart will triumph.

Where have you studied that Her Triumph is conditional only?
Desmond Birch did a great job and I like his work. However, the apparitions are still not binding on the faithful, even when approved and we just cannot be certain that an age of peace will ever happen. Plus, the age of peace may very well have come and gone, for after the two world wars the globe did settle down a bit, though wars (including the Korean war) did break out. The age of peace might have been centered on the Christian world only and might have already passed us by. The age of peace does not have to be global, nor do we have any idea how long it would/will last.

In the Fatima apparitions, Mary called for the consecration of Russia, stating that if it was done peace would be granted (again we have no way of knowing if that meant worldwide peace, or simply the Christian world). IMO, Russia has never been consecrated.

Personally, I am of the opinion that the age of peace has already past, or will not happen.

Mary spoke at Akita and at Medjugorie about the future. Yet, we are not allowed to speak about un-approved apparitions.
 
BTW, as a corollary, consider the Two Witnesses. There comes a point that the beast “kills” them, and the world “celebrates and sends gifts to one another” that the prophets are dead (analogously Scripture and Tradition).

But then the breath of life reenters them and people begin to fear them again.

Finally they are assumed and exalted into Heaven.

This is clearly based on the OT: in the period immediately preceding the Babylonian invasion and exile, the Jews had “killed” the prophets, either literally or by ignoring them or ridiculing them. They were utterly oblivious the warnings of doom and of their sin. But when Babylon swept down and slaughtered half of them and carried them away, THEN they began to reconsider the prophets and turn back to God. And ultimately they were restored to the Lord and brought back home.

It’s the same thing today. The modern European Civs and their derivatives are utterly oblivious to any of the Gospel. They live in unimaginable comfort and luxury, and so they have no spiritual sense whatsoever. And they “celebrate” that they are free from all religion and its supposed overly strict morality.

But when or if the nuclear holocaust of Our Lady of Fatima comes, their comforts shall be taken away and they shall seriously reconsider their need for God (and a great fear fell upon all who saw them). And again, fully approved mystics, according to the testimony of Birch’s 23 year research, confirms this: the minor apostasy and conditional trib will reunite Christendom, bring humanity to its knees, and gloriously restore the Gospel.

I cannot see how you can think that is hogwash?
I do not think any of it is hogwash (were you talking to me?).

I believe everything you describe here fits the exact picture that I have describe as being the beginning of the Great Tribulation, and that we have seen the beginning of the Great Apostasy.

Now, let’s cut through the mud of our opinions. The bottom lines is this (imo): If your view is right, then the world is heading towards one terrible time, followed by an agre of peace. If my view is correct, the world is heading towards an even more terrible time, followed by the return of Christ. Either way, the world is heading towards at the very least a terrible time.
 
Dear Tom,

Please accept my apology, I have unfairly lumped you in with St. Augustine. I am sorry for that. Can you please forgive me? Nor would I ever want to believe that I am dogma. But I’ve been meditating on these questions for quite some time, and they never seem to go away. Based on this, I am utterly convinced (although I know I’m not infallible) that we are not in the very last manifestation of sin in human history but the second-to-last. I have faith that Christ can give humanity a dress-rehearsal for the end of the world that will succeed in teaching them the greatest lesson of human history. I don’t think the modern world is fully culpable for their current apostasy, seeing as the period from 350 -1700 is soaked in the blood of religious conflict. First Muslims kill Christians, then Christians kill Muslims. Then Catholics kill Eastern Catholics, so Eastern Catholics say, take a hike, we don’t need Rome. Then Western Bishops have people horribly tortured and killed because they objectively in error. Then Western bishops become mostly hypocrites, so the Protestants say we don’t need you either. Then Catholics kill Protestants, Protestants kill Catholics, and then Protestants kill other types of Protestants. And so you like in the face of all this, you feel that humanity is still without any excuse for its indifference to religion?

No, I don’t think that. If this is how it must end, it really means that the NT Cov is LESS efficacious than old, at least relative to those that receive them. BTW, JPII did not say the end is upon us. He preached a new springtime Millennium. How can in the hell can the world even last for another 100 years if apostasy continues? Hence, only conclusion I can surmise is JPII was expecting a great restoration.

Anyway, though, I realize none of us are infallible, but I feel very strongly about this. I don’t think God is done with humanity yet. I believe He can draw a greater good from all this.

🙂
Thank you for the apology. 🙂

I understand where you are coming from, and you and I are quite similar, we are nutcases over this subject and after many years, and thousands of hours of study, we have each reached different conclusions…no big deal, we are not as far off as it might seem.

Let me pose a thought for you to consider:

We agree the world is a mess and that God is likely going to do something about that mess, either in the form of a minor apostasy and minor chastisement as you think; or in the form of a full blown Tribulation as I think. Yet, the problem I have with your scenarios is this: God’s Word tells us that in the final days humanity will move into a Great Apostasy that will cover most of the Christian world. This in turn will kick-off the Trib and the onset of the anti-Christ, etc. So, why would God want to punish us now (to straighten us out), just so that humanity can nearly immediately turn from Him and enter the Trib, etc. I think it is far more likely that the Bible’s view is correct, and that the apparitions are being misunderstood. After all, the Bible says nothing anywhere about a “warm-up” to the end times.
 
well, yeah, up until a point we won’t be confused. But these books do not solve the ultimate apocalyptic questions. they barely even skim them. These books just respond with preterism, which doesn’t really probe to any significant extent of the apoc questions. Knowing temporal details of Early Church history is about just as worthless as knowing the fundamentalist’s futurist details. For in between the first century and the last century, there is the entire age of the Church, where Christ completes His Plan for the redemption of humanity, a plan that is spiritual in nature. Hence, there are truly great spiritual ages of history both in the Old and the New. That’s what the apoc Q’s are ultimately about, not **** like helicopters at the end of the world torturing people for five months, or knowing that the war in the fall of Jerusalem was literally “five months”.:rolleyes:
Yes, but Jesus already spoke about the “entire age of the Church.” He said the kingdom of God is like leaven a woman hid in dough until the whole batch of dough was leavened. The plain sense of this is that the Church will convert the fullness of believers, that they will come in from east, west, north, and south, and so on. However, I’m sure this is too simple-minded, as it doesn’t fit in with the whole “the world has got to become a Godawful mess” theology.

Understanding apocalyptic imagery is the real key to understanding “the ultimate apocalyptic questions.” When Jesus (or John) speaks of the mountains being flattened, the moon turning to blood, etc., folks, they are speaking in prophetic imagery; they are not speaking as TV reporters predicting some odd conditions that have to occur as the world goes to hell in a handbasket. And by the way, as long as we’re on the subject: Yes, when John writes of the five months of torment, he is exactly and specifically writing of the first-century siege of Jerusalem. Rolling one’s eyes (even through a computer icon) doesn’t change that fact.
 
How about just adding: “Of course, other people interpret these same passages very differently, and none of us can know for sure which interpretation is correct”?
 
I thought Akita was an approved apparition. Is it?
Yes, I was wrong. Akita was approved by Cardinal Ratzinger in 1988. Thanks for catching my on that important point. And, since you enticed me to check into Akita’s approval, here is a message from Our Lady that I think supports what I have been saying:

"As I told you, if men do not repent and better themselves, the Father will inflict a terrible punishment on all humanity. It will be a punishment greater than the deluge, such as one will never seen before. Fire will fall from the sky and will wipe out a great part of humanity, the good as well as the bad, sparing neither priests nor faithful. The survivors will find themselves so desolate that they will envy the dead. The only arms which will remain for you will be the Rosary and the Sign left by My Son. Each day recite the prayers of the Rosary. With the Rosary, pray for the Pope, the bishops and priests."

“The work of the devil will infiltrate even into the Church in such a way that one will see cardinals opposing cardinals, bishops against bishops. The priests who venerate me will be scorned and opposed by their confreres…churches and altars sacked; the Church will be full of those who accept compromises and the demon will press many priests and consecrated souls to leave the service of the Lord.”

“The demon will be especially implacable against souls consecrated to God. The thought of the loss of so many souls is the cause of my sadness. If sins increase in number and gravity, there will be no longer pardon for them”

Notice the way this message is constructed, it sounds very much like the passages from Revelation from which we have been discussing, and tell me the part about the devil infiltrating into the Church does not sound like the last 20-30 years of history.
 
Thank you for the apology. 🙂

I understand where you are coming from, and you and I are quite similar, we are nutcases over this subject and after many years, and thousands of hours of study, we have each reached different conclusions…no big deal, we are not as far off as it might seem.

Let me pose a thought for you to consider:

We agree the world is a mess and that God is likely going to do something about that mess, either in the form of a minor apostasy and minor chastisement as you think; or in the form of a full blown Tribulation as I think. Yet, the problem I have with your scenarios is this: God’s Word tells us that in the final days humanity will move into a Great Apostasy that will cover most of the Christian world. This in turn will kick-off the Trib and the onset of the anti-Christ, etc. So, why would God want to punish us now (to straighten us out), just so that humanity can nearly immediately turn from Him and enter the Trib, etc. I think it is far more likely that the Bible’s view is correct, and that the apparitions are being misunderstood. After all, the Bible says nothing anywhere about a “warm-up” to the end times.
well, no, actually, before i went to EWTN’s article on the Millennium, I was utterly oblivous the notion of the minor chas. As far as I knew, there would only be ONE significant apostasy in the history of the Church, the one of the very end. I had absolutely no knowledge of the idea that there could occur, after the first conversion of the world, an INTERMEDIATE apostasy with its own catastrophic chastisement but one that is not condemnatory but merciful, designed not to end the world but restore it to faith.

I don’t have enough time right now to elaborate, but for starters, I would refer you to long articles that i believe argue quite favorably for the notion of an intermediate apostasy that is healed:

here they are, I will try to elaborate more later.

Blessings to you, Tom!
🙂

On the Disunity of Christians and the Plan of Redemption

Historicism and the Seven Days of Creation/ Seven Headed Beast
 
Yes, I was wrong. Akita was approved by Cardinal Ratzinger in 1988. Thanks for catching my on that important point. And, since you enticed me to check into Akita’s approval, here is a message from Our Lady that I think supports what I have been saying:

"As I told you, if men do not repent and better themselves, the Father will inflict a terrible punishment on all humanity. It will be a punishment greater than the deluge, such as one will never seen before. Fire will fall from the sky and will wipe out a great part of humanity, the good as well as the bad, sparing neither priests nor faithful. The survivors will find themselves so desolate that they will envy the dead. The only arms which will remain for you will be the Rosary and the Sign left by My Son. Each day recite the prayers of the Rosary. With the Rosary, pray for the Pope, the bishops and priests."

"The work of the devil will infiltrate even into the Church in such a way that one will see cardinals opposing cardinals, bishops against bishops. The priests who venerate me will be scorned and opposed by their confreres…churches and altars sacked; the Church will be full of those who accept compromises and the demon will press many priests and consecrated souls to leave the service of the Lord."

*“The demon will be especially implacable against souls consecrated to God. The thought of the loss of so many souls is the cause of my sadness. If sins increase in number and gravity, there will be no longer pardon for them” *

Notice the way this message is constructed, it sounds very much like the passages from Revelation from which we have been discussing, and tell me the part about the devil infiltrating into the Church does not sound like the last 20-30 years of history.
well, yeah, but how does this have to mean the very end? Are you assuming that the beast and false prophet of Rev 13 apply only to the literal big guy AC at the very end of the world? Have you not heard of multidimensionality? Under that vein, we are already in Revelation 13, which is something I’ve tried to make you realize over and over in these forums. We don’t need a literal Antichrist to have the beast. The beast is fulfilled in the Pre-FLood Corruption, Babel, Egypt, the intermediate Jewish apostasy, Antiochus IV Epiphanies, and pagan Rome, as well as, the modern minor apostasy and the great apostasy of the end.
 
well, yeah, but how does this have to mean the very end? Are you assuming that the beast and false prophet of Rev 13 apply only to the literal big guy AC at the very end of the world? Have you not heard of multidimensionality? Under that vein, we are already in Revelation 13, which is something I’ve tried to make you realize over and over in these forums. We don’t need a literal Antichrist to have the beast. The beast is fulfilled in the Pre-FLood Corruption, Babel, Egypt, the intermediate Jewish apostasy, Antiochus IV Epiphanies, and pagan Rome, as well as, the modern minor apostasy and the great apostasy of the end.
🙂

We have each tried to make the each other realize certain points, yet honestly you seem to think yours is the only way to view the book.

I believe the anti-Christ will be a real man in the real world, not symbolic or metaphorical. I do accept that there are many metaphorial anti-christs all around us in every age.

Of course, I can easily be wrong, yet I would not bother posting if I thought I was. I am open to proof that I have it wrong, because that is the only way we grow.

I look at it like this: When private revelations contradict Sacred Scripture, then I question the private revelation (whether they are approved or not). When the private revelations align well with Sacred Scripture (as does the Akita message I posted), then I tend to give it more credibility. Nothing in faith can contradict Sacred Scripture, because if if it does, then it is false.

I believe we are in chapter nine, not thirteen and that the events of the coming chapters will be very quick in real time.

God Bless. 🙂
 
Thank you for the apology. 🙂

I understand where you are coming from, and you and I are quite similar, we are nutcases over this subject and after many years, and thousands of hours of study, we have each reached different conclusions…no big deal, we are not as far off as it might seem.

Let me pose a thought for you to consider:

We agree the world is a mess and that God is likely going to do something about that mess, either in the form of a minor apostasy and minor chastisement as you think; or in the form of a full blown Tribulation as I think. Yet, the problem I have with your scenarios is this: God’s Word tells us that in the final days humanity will move into a Great Apostasy that will cover most of the Christian world. This in turn will kick-off the Trib and the onset of the anti-Christ, etc. So, why would God want to punish us now (to straighten us out), just so that humanity can nearly immediately turn from Him and enter the Trib, etc. I think it is far more likely that the Bible’s view is correct, and that the apparitions are being misunderstood. After all, the Bible says nothing anywhere about a “warm-up” to the end times.
Dear Tom,

actually, though, you are definitely right that we are very close “brothers” in this regard, because the typical Catholics on most internet forums are utterly oblivious to the apoc. They are content to just wave their hands and explain it all away as nothing more than “coded-comfort” and “preterism”. Their argument is, “The Church has always had problems, always will, so what’s new. Just forget about it, because it’s basically irrelevant, except perhaps for the Early Church, and only in a very vague and fully allegorical sense for any other era of the Church.”

but as I have repeatedly pointed out, and which Vern ignores, we must distinguish the DEGREES and TYPES of ways in which there has been SPIRITUAL opposiition to the Church!!! When these people say “there have been many ‘apostasies’”, they are way oversimplifying the word “apostasy”. They say, “for there were the arians, and the Islamics, and the Orthodox, and the Protestants, and the deists…” “Yes, you liberal son of a gun, but just look CLOSER at the categories! Catholicism formally, through doctrine, distinguishes varying DEGREES and TYPES of spiritual categories. For what separates the Church from Orthodox is LESS than what separates from Protestants, which is less than from the Enlightenment children, which is less than from the atheistic or relativistic materialists”.

I cannot understand how people can be so blind to the fact the modern spiritual crisis in terms of the degree of spiritual depravity, is basically as bad as it can get, that is, with regards to atheism and relativistic, hedonistic materialism. Couple that with the unimaginable amplification of the consequences of sin through materialistic developments, they are going too far in just dismissing Fundamentalism as UTTERLY off base. Now, admittedly, Fundamentalists ask mostly wrong Q’s about the data, but their assertion of a great spiritual crisis is not too off base. My real objection is simply this: yes, it seems highly likely that we are on the brink of a cataclysm wrought on humanity simply as the consequences of its depravity. But must it be the end? Must this be it? Or is it possible that the crisis of suffering will reawaken the world’s awareness of its need for God and serve to bring about a great renewal. Therein is the mistake of the Fundamentalism. They are right in asserting that an apostate culture dominates significant portions of humanity. Where they go wrong is to assume, this is the apostasy of the end. They fail to recognize that the apostasy could be healed through the suffering that seems likely to occur any time now.

But anyway, Tom, I agree, we are rather similar in that we refuse to relegate the apoc to nothing more than a code book for the Early Church, and that we perceive deeper meanings and also meanings that can be relevant for our own age, and not just the beginnnig of Church history or the end of it. And the fact that we are regarded as freaks really po’s me, to be quite honest. Catholics do not have to be exclusively preterists. We are free to explore additional layers of meaning, and yet for some reason, we are all but ignored for it. :mad:
 
well, yeah, up until a point we won’t be confused. But these books do not solve the ultimate apocalyptic questions. they barely even skim them. These books just respond with preterism, which doesn’t really probe to any significant extent of the apoc questions. Knowing temporal details of Early Church history is about just as worthless as knowing the fundamentalist’s futurist details. For in between the first century and the last century, there is the entire age of the Church, where Christ completes His Plan for the redemption of humanity, a plan that is spiritual in nature. Hence, there are truly great spiritual ages of history both in the Old and the New. That’s what the apoc Q’s are ultimately about, not **** like helicopters at the end of the world torturing people for five months, or knowing that the war in the fall of Jerusalem was literally “five months”.:rolleyes:
I find it hard to believe you have actually read Dave Currie’s book as it is nothing like you imply and it does answer many of these questions.

Perhaps you are thinking of a tape set on the Rapture that he did quite a few years back that mentions ‘heliocopters’ etc.

Mr Currie’s book does most certainly cover these apocalyptic questions. And I repeat you will no longer be confused or deceived it you do read it.
 
Dear Tom,

actually, though, you are definitely right that we are very close “brothers” in this regard, because the typical Catholics on most internet forums are utterly oblivious to the apoc. They are content to just wave their hands and explain it all away as nothing more than “coded-comfort” and “preterism”. Their argument is, “The Church has always had problems, always will, so what’s new. Just forget about it, because it’s basically irrelevant, except perhaps for the Early Church, and only in a very vague and fully allegorical sense for any other era of the Church.”

but as I have repeatedly pointed out, and which Vern ignores, we must distinguish the DEGREES and TYPES of ways in which there has been SPIRITUAL opposiition to the Church!!! When these people say “there have been many ‘apostasies’”, they are way oversimplifying the word “apostasy”. They say, “for there were the arians, and the Islamics, and the Orthodox, and the Protestants, and the deists…” “Yes, you liberal son of a gun, but just look CLOSER at the categories! Catholicism formally, through doctrine, distinguishes varying DEGREES and TYPES of spiritual categories. For what separates the Church from Orthodox is LESS than what separates from Protestants, which is less than from the Enlightenment children, which is less than from the atheistic or relativistic materialists”.

I cannot understand how people can be so blind to the fact the modern spiritual crisis in terms of the degree of spiritual depravity, is basically as bad as it can get, that is, with regards to atheism and relativistic, hedonistic materialism. Couple that with the unimaginable amplification of the consequences of sin through materialistic developments, they are going too far in just dismissing Fundamentalism as UTTERLY off base. Now, admittedly, Fundamentalists ask mostly wrong Q’s about the data, but their assertion of a great spiritual crisis is not too off base. My real objection is simply this: yes, it seems highly likely that we are on the brink of a cataclysm wrought on humanity simply as the consequences of its depravity. But must it be the end? Must this be it? Or is it possible that the crisis of suffering will reawaken the world’s awareness of its need for God and serve to bring about a great renewal. Therein is the mistake of the Fundamentalism. They are right in asserting that an apostate culture dominates significant portions of humanity. Where they go wrong is to assume, this is the apostasy of the end. They fail to recognize that the apostasy could be healed through the suffering that seems likely to occur any time now.

But anyway, Tom, I agree, we are rather similar in that we refuse to relegate the apoc to nothing more than a code book for the Early Church, and that we perceive deeper meanings and also meanings that can be relevant for our own age, and not just the beginnnig of Church history or the end of it. And the fact that we are regarded as freaks really po’s me, to be quite honest. Catholics do not have to be exclusively preterists. We are free to explore additional layers of meaning, and yet for some reason, we are all but ignored for it. :mad:
Very, very well said and I agree completely. And, no it does not “have” to be the end times, it might be as you believe.

God Bless you! 🙂
 
I find it hard to believe you have actually read Dave Currie’s book as it is nothing like you imply and it does answer many of these questions.

Perhaps you are thinking of a tape set on the Rapture that he did quite a few years back that mentions ‘heliocopters’ etc.

Mr Currie’s book does most certainly cover these apocalyptic questions. And I repeat you will no longer be confused or deceived it you do read it.
OK, look, I haven’t read the book. Was I confusing the information on the back with another book, in which Currie bascially “shows” that most of the book was already fulfilled in the fall of Jerusalem? I mean, is not Currie a preterist?
 
I find it hard to believe you have actually read Dave Currie’s book as it is nothing like you imply and it does answer many of these questions.

Perhaps you are thinking of a tape set on the Rapture that he did quite a few years back that mentions ‘heliocopters’ etc.

Mr Currie’s book does most certainly cover these apocalyptic questions. And I repeat you will no longer be confused or deceived it you do read it.
You’d best be careful–you are trying to pry apart a couple of prophecy enthusiasts at the height of their fever. It would be better to weave a circle round them thrice and close your eyes with holy dread, for they on honeydew hath fed and drunk the milk of Paradise. Or something like that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top