B
BadPizza
Guest
New to the forums. Didn’t know where to go for first answers. TLDR at the bottom.
Almost three years ago our family entered the Church through RCIA. We had attended a RC parish pretty regularly, but never took communion. Made friends, got invited to RCIA, and the rest is history. All the people were great. Priest was awesome. However, looking back, it seems my RCIA experience was a bit “glossy” and avoided alot of the tough issues.
For illustration, I remember having a discussion with the Priest and not being fully on board with how mortal sin/confession works. I got a polite smile and a shrug. And it was just left there. Same thing with purgatory (of which many “theories” were discussed), Papal Infallibility, the Assumption, and some others. I was always encouraged to keep my eyes on the main message of salvation and the Eucharist. Details and understanding of other doctrine would eventually come later. Salvation and Eucharist were central, other issues were side issues.
So kept moving forward with that theory, but with doubt. In fact, even on the day we were accepted into the Church I was asking myself whether I should be going forward. But it was kind of too late. Wife was in, kids were in, didn’t want to disappoint anyone with my internal issues. So I just focused on the Eucharist and trusted.
After doing my own research on teachings, I eventually realized I don’t agree with quite a few. As soon as I realized where I was with that, I stopped taking Eucharist. I couldn’t be a liar or a pick and choose kind of Catholic. I haven’t taken Eucharist in over a year. Most of this is on me, I should have realized what was going on and pulled the brakes. But everyone was super nice and supportive, so I went with the flow. 100% my fault.
I have not gone to our Priest about it. We have a new one who is uber old-school strict. I don’t know how it would help. He might toss me out on my ear.
TLDR: Went through a nice RCIA with lots of cookies and nice people, not sure I discerned correctly. What do I do know?
Almost three years ago our family entered the Church through RCIA. We had attended a RC parish pretty regularly, but never took communion. Made friends, got invited to RCIA, and the rest is history. All the people were great. Priest was awesome. However, looking back, it seems my RCIA experience was a bit “glossy” and avoided alot of the tough issues.
For illustration, I remember having a discussion with the Priest and not being fully on board with how mortal sin/confession works. I got a polite smile and a shrug. And it was just left there. Same thing with purgatory (of which many “theories” were discussed), Papal Infallibility, the Assumption, and some others. I was always encouraged to keep my eyes on the main message of salvation and the Eucharist. Details and understanding of other doctrine would eventually come later. Salvation and Eucharist were central, other issues were side issues.
So kept moving forward with that theory, but with doubt. In fact, even on the day we were accepted into the Church I was asking myself whether I should be going forward. But it was kind of too late. Wife was in, kids were in, didn’t want to disappoint anyone with my internal issues. So I just focused on the Eucharist and trusted.
After doing my own research on teachings, I eventually realized I don’t agree with quite a few. As soon as I realized where I was with that, I stopped taking Eucharist. I couldn’t be a liar or a pick and choose kind of Catholic. I haven’t taken Eucharist in over a year. Most of this is on me, I should have realized what was going on and pulled the brakes. But everyone was super nice and supportive, so I went with the flow. 100% my fault.
I have not gone to our Priest about it. We have a new one who is uber old-school strict. I don’t know how it would help. He might toss me out on my ear.
TLDR: Went through a nice RCIA with lots of cookies and nice people, not sure I discerned correctly. What do I do know?
Last edited: