Read what an apologist from GotQuestions.org told me

  • Thread starter Thread starter john9090
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I knew GotQuestions took a very Protestant bent on things but I did not realize how extreme they were. The Catholic Church in cahoots with Hitler? facepalm Oh please! My advice is to ignore the response or if you must send in a quick “Thank you for your response” in reply then send up a few quick prayers to God for them.
 
GotQuestions emailed me just now over this:
Someone pointed out to us that you have published our answer to you on forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=854839. It is fine that you did this. After reading the answer you were sent, I am surprised that one of our editors approved it. While I agree with some of what the writer said, I do not approve of the tone expressed in the answer. How would I respond to: “why are many protestants and evangelicals turning to the Catholic faith?”
I would respond with: “Why are so many Catholics turning to the Protestant faith?”
We could both point each other to countless testimonials from Catholics becoming Protestants and Protestants becoming Catholics. But, ultimately, what is the point of that? There are Christians who become Muslims. There are Christians who become Buddhists. There are Christians who become Jehovah’s Witnesses or Mormons. I am assuming you would not use the conversion of Christians to Islam as evidence for the truth of Islam.
I do not think the number of conversions adds any validity whatsoever to either Catholicism or Protestantism. I would not care if 99% of Protestants converted to Catholicism. I would still reject Catholicism because I find it to be wholly unbiblical.
Yes, as is made clear in our statement of faith, on our About Us page, and in our “Catholic Questions” section - gotquestions.org/Catholic-questions.html - we are non-Catholic. But, we are not “Catholic haters” and we do strive to be fair in our articles.
Sincerely in Christ,
 
Perhaps got questions.org could explain how it is they hold the authentic interpretation of scripture, since they claim all of their answers to be “biblical”. From where do they get the authority to declare their answer as the “biblical” one? And what makes them an authority on Catholicism? Do they honestly believe they know more about the Catholic Church than the Catholic Church knows about the Catholic Church?
 
I asked Got Questions why so many protestants and evangelicals were turning to the Catholic faith.
Well, that was your first mistake - asking GotQuestions.org. 😉 Apparently their CEO, S. Michael Houdmann, is a graduate of Calvary Theological Seminary. That would make him a OSAS, SS, dispensationalist evangelical. Those folks tend to think Rome is Babylon and the pope is the Antichrist. Not only that, they’re eagerly waiting the pre-trib rapture, so they’re likely to treat Israeli Jews with a lot more respect than Catholics. It looks like they showed you their fangs and then tried to backpedal a bit.

You should have asked me your question instead. The answer is, “I finally found the Church that provides the fullness of Christian truth.” 🙂
 
Well, that was your first mistake - asking GotQuestions.org. 😉 Apparently their CEO, S. Michael Houdmann, is a graduate of Calvary Theological Seminary. That would make him a OSAS, SS, dispensationalist evangelical. Those folks tend to think Rome is Babylon and the pope is the Antichrist. Not only that, they’re eagerly waiting the pre-trib rapture, so they’re likely to treat Israeli Jews with a lot more respect than Catholics. It looks like they showed you their fangs and then tried to backpedal a bit.

You should have asked me your question instead. The answer is, “I finally found the Church that provides the fullness of Christian truth.” 🙂
I believe they are dispensationalist (ugh, even worse).
 
You should have asked me your question instead. The answer is, “I finally found the Church that provides the fullness of Christian truth.” 🙂
It seems someone over there is reading Catholic forums. Maybe searching for the Truth. 🙂
 
GotQuestions emailed me just now over this:
Well, someone’s head is probably rolling over there. Interesting that they have someone moderating this forum to catch the post! I guess even for them, one has to be careful on how they answer and post things on the internet because you never know where it might end up! The worst part of the original answer was the Hitler comment which is so over the top and insulting to even try and be credible.
 
I asked Got Questions why so many protestants and evangelicals were turning to the Catholic faith. This is what one of its staff members told me:

*Answer:
To answer this we must first determine what the Roman Catholic church is:

The Catholic Church is a man centered, false religious system that is directly responsible for the worst atrocities this world has ever seen. It is responsible for the murder and torture of 50 million people to date just for not being or refusing to become Catholic. (just google Croatian holocaust or St. Bartholomews Day Massacre or Spanish Inquisition or rat lines) The vatican was in cahoots with Hitler and Mussolini and still is with the mob. The majority of catholicisms doctrines and practices are unbiblical and are based in paganism. It has perverted the true Gospel of Christ into a false gospel of works and sacraments. It is evil to the core and it insidiously does all this in the name of Christ. It is the political whore of Revelation 17 & 18. Catholicism is NOT Christianity.

What does this say about their salvation? It says that they were never truly born again to begin with or at the very least they have been deceived. Understand this, not everyone who claims to be Christian is Christian. Only those who have repented of sin and embraced saving faith in Christ are Christians. This act results in a changed life and if this life does not represent this fundamental change then they could possibly not be Christian to begin with.*

How would you respond?
What would the “average” (if there is one) Protestant think about such a response? Nod his head in agreement or shake his head in wonderment of the intensity of the hatred spewed? Does the average Protestant think Catholics should have a fair hearing or chance to defend and respond or the conviction is already cast in stone…I have read the responses of Catholics to allegations of being non-biblical yet I have not seen any response so poor that to a Protestant it appears laughable. The responses have been pretty solid with biblical support although Catholic interpretations varies from Protestant ones.
 
What would the “average” (if there is one) Protestant think about such a response? Nod his head in agreement or shake his head in wonderment of the intensity of the hatred spewed? Does the average Protestant think Catholics should have a fair hearing or chance to defend and respond or the conviction is already cast in stone…I have read the responses of Catholics to allegations of being non-biblical yet I have not seen any response so poor that to a Protestant it appears laughable. The responses have been pretty solid with biblical support although Catholic interpretations varies from Protestant ones.
The response by Got questions is not the average Protestant. This is more of a fundamentalist site which as you see rather anti-Catholic. It would be unfair to view this site and those like it as the average Protestant and they do not speak for all Protestantism at all. I am sure they have rather shrill responses to a number of Protestant groups as well who they would consider as unbiblical, especially mainline denominations.
 
From a historical perspective, the statements are so incredibly stupid that not much can be said about it other than to laugh/cry.
 
Perhaps got questions.org could explain how it is they hold the authentic interpretation of scripture, since they claim all of their answers to be “biblical”. From where do they get the authority to declare their answer as the “biblical” one? And what makes them an authority on Catholicism? Do they honestly believe they know more about the Catholic Church than the Catholic Church knows about the Catholic Church?
In a word, yes, I think they do. From the introduction to their “Catholic Questions” page:
There is also the issue that the practices of many Catholics depart from the “official traditions” of the Roman Catholic Church. For example, the Roman Catholic Church does not “officially” teach Catholics to worship Mary, but rather to honor and revere her. However, through observation, it is abundantly clear that many Catholics do in fact worship Mary. This is the result of the Roman Catholic Church not doing a good job of teaching and explaining its doctrines. Many Catholics are completely ignorant of what Catholic doctrines and practices truly mean and signify.** Some of our Catholic-related articles may be responding more to the unbiblical practices of some (or most) Catholics, and not necessarily the “official positions” of the Roman Catholic Church.**
IOW, “it doesn’t matter what the Catholic Church actually teaches, we know what they really believe in practice, and it’s wrong.”
 
Thank you for your responses. I have seen that website on Google many times. I always sensed the Protestant bias, but never knew they were that anti-Catholic. I don’t know if that’s just the opinion of one of its employees or if its president shares that view.
I noticed that when I type “Catholic Answers” into Google, their site shows up at the top. But it is a sponsored link. They pay for the placement as an ad. The real Catholic Answers site shows up just underneath their ad!
 
In a word, yes, I think they do. From the introduction to their “Catholic Questions” page:

IOW, “it doesn’t matter what the Catholic Church actually teaches, we know what they really believe in practice, and it’s wrong.”
Thank you SoMissCatholic. I had no inclination to look at the site myself. If that is what they really think, I truly feel sorry for anyone going to them to learn about Holy Mother Church. This proves beyond a doubt they have no credibility when it comes to Catholicism. It smacks of arrogance and spiritual immaturity, especially since they want to tell us what we believe. Maybe we should throw out our Creeds and have got questions.com write us a new one, since they know us so much better than we know ourselves.
 
Wow, that response is extremely ignorant. I guess you could respond by citing internet sources to prove that the historical stuff they mention is false. I know for sure that the Church was not responsible for the inquisition
Since the Inquisition was, by definition, a Church-run court, that’s a pretty outrageous statement itself. If you’re talking about the Spanish Inquisition, which is the best known (and deadliest) Inquisition, then you’re partly right–the SI was set up at the urging of the Spanish government and run by the Spanish Church under government supervision. But it’s still not correct to say that the Church wasn’t responsible at all. And the medieval inquisitions and the Roman Inquisition were totally the Church’s responsibility.
and the Church did not support Hitler.
True. Some Catholic bishops did, but certainly not the Church as a whole.

However, the article raised the question of the “Croatian Holocaust.” It’s hard to establish just what happened there exactly, but the question of Church involvement is certainly more serious than with regard to the “main” Holocaust, which the Church certainly did not support.

The 50 million figure is, of course, absurd.

Edwin
 
Since the Inquisition was, by definition, a Church-run court, that’s a pretty outrageous statement itself. If you’re talking about the Spanish Inquisition, which is the best known (and deadliest) Inquisition, then you’re partly right–the SI was set up at the urging of the Spanish government and run by the Spanish Church under government supervision. But it’s still not correct to say that the Church wasn’t responsible at all. And the medieval inquisitions and the Roman Inquisition were totally the Church’s responsibility.

True. Some Catholic bishops did, but certainly not the Church as a whole.

However, the article raised the question of the “Croatian Holocaust.” It’s hard to establish just what happened there exactly, but the question of Church involvement is certainly more serious than with regard to the “main” Holocaust, which the Church certainly did not support.

The 50 million figure is, of course, absurd.

Edwin
Pius XII was one of the most active and successful (non-violent) opponents of the Nazi movement, despite the bad rap that he gets today from secularists/liberals who want to attack and discredit the Church. Jewish historians credit him with saving up to 860,000 from death at the hands of the Axis. The links I provided in my direct response to the original GotQuestions email have more information.
 
GotQuestions emailed me just now over this:
You may want to read this article and share it with them:

Ecclesial Deism

calledtocommunion.com/2009/07/ecclesial-deism/

‘Tradition’ becomes whatever one agrees with in the history of the Church, such as the Nicene Creed or Chalcedonian Christology…What makes it ‘authoritative’ for Mohler is that it agrees with his interpretation of Scripture. If he encounters something in the tradition that seems extra-biblical or opposed to Scripture he rejects it. For that reason, tradition does not authoritatively guide his interpretation. His interpretation picks out what counts as tradition, and then this tradition informs his interpretation.
 
Interesting that they have someone moderating this forum to catch the post!
I doubt that. More likely, someone who reads this forum and is sympathetic to them probably pointed out to them that their answer was being talked about here, and it was reflecting on them poorly. 😉
 
I doubt that. More likely, someone who reads this forum and is sympathetic to them probably pointed out to them that their answer was being talked about here, and it was reflecting on them poorly. 😉
Isn’t that the same sort of thing, a different side of the same coin. sympathetic people most likely volunteers that reviews other Christian forums like CAF and then report back to Got Answers? 🙂
 
Isn’t that the same sort of thing, a different side of the same coin.
Not really, I don’t think. In one case, the folks are actively pinging other sites, and in the other, they just happen to get a tip from someone.
sympathetic people most likely volunteers that reviews other Christian forums like CAF and then report back to Got Answers? 🙂
Again, you’re making the same assumption – that folks are sitting out there, acting virtually like ‘spies’. There’s no basis for that assumption!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top