Read what an apologist from GotQuestions.org told me

  • Thread starter Thread starter john9090
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is exactly how I’d respond:

I’m sorry, I was expecting a thoughtful, factual reply to my question, not a biased, unwarranted, and fact-free diatribe. My apologies for this error in judgment. I shan’t make this error again. May God bless you."

And then I’d kick the dust from my shoes, as it were.
I have attempted to communicate with that site multiple times, with results similar to what you have found - they respond with anger almost constantly. I was ‘fortunate’ enough to trade e-mails with them over the course of a few months about a year ago. I was even willing to forgo all ‘tradition’ and attempt to have a dialogue revolving only around Scripture. After ‘proving’ such things as the necessity for baptism, the Eucharist, confession, our ability to let go of our own salvation, Mary being ever virgin, etc. the site responded to me one last time by ‘YELLING’ at me to stop wasting his time with my twisted scripture and to stop assisting Satan in his work. I don’t expect that you will find any love from them. They have chosen to stand against the Church that Christ founded.

So - I would only caution you to not reply in the same manner that he does - reply with love and gentle kindness. And brace yourself to only receive anger in return. My communication with him DID strengthen MY faith in the Church and all She teaches. But I know I was fortunate - if you are not prepared, he uses just enough half-truth, and is masterful enough with powerful language to sway those who do not understand the Church. Exercise caution but don’t be afraid of what your Church teaches - it is the fullness of Truth!
 
I asked Got Questions why so many protestants and evangelicals were turning to the Catholic faith. This is what one of its staff members told me:

*Answer:
To answer this we must first determine what the Roman Catholic church is:

The Catholic Church is a man centered, false religious system that is directly responsible for the worst atrocities this world has ever seen. It is responsible for the murder and torture of 50 million people to date just for not being or refusing to become Catholic. (just google Croatian holocaust or St. Bartholomews Day Massacre or Spanish Inquisition or rat lines) The vatican was in cahoots with Hitler and Mussolini and still is with the mob. The majority of catholicisms doctrines and practices are unbiblical and are based in paganism. It has perverted the true Gospel of Christ into a false gospel of works and sacraments. It is evil to the core and it insidiously does all this in the name of Christ. It is the political whore of Revelation 17 & 18. Catholicism is NOT Christianity.

What does this say about their salvation? It says that they were never truly born again to begin with or at the very least they have been deceived. Understand this, not everyone who claims to be Christian is Christian. Only those who have repented of sin and embraced saving faith in Christ are Christians. This act results in a changed life and if this life does not represent this fundamental change then they could possibly not be Christian to begin with.*

How would you respond?
if this is his only response I would respond with something like this

I respect what you have to say on the Church and why you think it isn’t Christian, but this has nothing to do with what I asked you. I asked a simple question why are protestants converting and becoming Catholic. You avoid asking the question and simply respond with why the Church is so negative. I will not continue this discussion until you respond to my question after doing that I would love to discuss each one of the points your brought up in this first response.
 
The question Joh9090 asked of GotQuestions.org was “why are so many Protestants turning to the catholic Church?”. It occurs to me that Got? gives a better answer than what they really intended to. Now hold on, please hear me out.
When an authentic, thoughtful, clear headed truth seeker asks a question and the answer he receives is this or something similar; it sort of DOES give the answer. The answer is not the intended one nor is it conveyed through the words that are used. No, the answer is in the demonstration of how one person treats another. it is a display of the error so often found outside of catholicism. There is not Love in this kind of answer.
Our truth seeker may initially be shocked or stunned or even impressed by the apparrent “knowledge” of this hurtful discourse, but in time he sees through it to the deeper truth. The absence of Love here shows the absence of God.
Such talk attempts to “chase” or “push” one toward God. But that seldom if ever works. Jesus speaks of himself as the Shepard and his people as sheep or the flock. A shepherd “leads” (calls) his flock. Push them and they scatter. When a person feels “pushed” by someone like Got? and “called” by the Good Shepard that is the catholic Church, there is another convert.
 
I’ll respond directly.

We worship God alone. Period.

Calvin was a ruthless dictator:
socrates58.blogspot.com/2009/09/life-in-calvins-geneva-protestant.html?m=1

In fact, the Protestant movement in general has caused many awful atrocities:
socrates58.blogspot.com/2007/03/protestant-inquisition-reformation.html?m=1

Have I mentioned that Luther called for the drowning of thousands of Anabaptists, and the genocide of Jews? Or that Puritans burned countless “witches”, who were often simply political opponents of theirs? And I’m sure they’re aware of Henry VIII’s terrible track record…

The list goes on and on.

Seriously? The old “The Catholic Church was Nazist” line? If this guy actually bothered to do some research, he’d find that the Church was actively against Nazism:

catholicnewsagency.com/resources/apologetics/controversies/pope-pius-xii-and-the-holocaust/

ewtn.com/library/answers/piusjews.htm

catholic.com/documents/how-pius-xii-protected-jews

Was perpetrated by secular authorities.

defendingthebride.com/hs/bartholomew.html

catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?recnum=5236

catholiceducation.org/articles/history/world/wh0008.html

Were executed by corrupt priests with no papal permission:

archive.catholicherald.co.uk/article/14th-august-2009/9/the-truth-about-pius-and-the-nazi-ratlines-

I’ve proven otherwise above.

What, has this guy been reading Chick tracts? There is zero evidence for this.

No evidence for this either.

Actually, we believe that we are saved 100% by God’s grace.

catholic.com/tracts/hunting-the-whore-of-babylon

The Calvinist understanding of “born again” is biblically flawed.

socrates58.blogspot.com/2006/11/baptism-sacramentalism-index-page.html?m=1

All Catholics have done this.

As shown above, nope.

Sorry for using lots of links, but forum rules say to do so if what is intended to be read is more than a couple paragraphs.

And Islamic terrorists killed more people on one September day then the inquisition did in 350 years
 
I asked Got Questions why so many protestants and evangelicals were turning to the Catholic faith. This is what one of its staff members told me:

*Answer: *
To answer this we must first determine what the Roman Catholic church is:

[snip]
Now you know not to ask THEM questions* :rolleyes:*

That’s also why I never use Wiki for ANYTHING.
 
This is one of the website that has scared me in the past when I was weak in my faith. I don’t have time to get Into all of these outrageous claims but every claim is false. There are a couple of great books by athiest historians exposing the lies from an unbiased standpoint. At this point, this website is absolutely infuriating. It’s very sad that pope Pius xii did so much to help Jews in the holocaust and some evangelicals spread the rumor now that he was “Hitlers pope”. Don’t listen to these ignorant, basement dwelling, heresy spewing people. Of course, the best thing you can do is say a prayer that they may come to the truth.

Remember, Christ established a church; not a book.
 
I’ve gotten into it with these folks on their catholic hating facebook page. To their credit they have not yet banned me, like others.

These guys and Carm are not worth allowing them to get your blood pressure up. They have faulty presuppositions and you wont be changing their minds unless God performs a miracle
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top