L
Linusthe2nd
Guest
You are never justified to place yourself in a proximate occasion of sin and no one is justified in trying to force you into that kind of situation. I would simply tell the teacher/instructor that you think the book might be troublesome to you and ask him/her if you could read another book and do a report on it for her. For example, ask instead if you could read Lord of the Rings, Lord of the World ( which is on line ), Clowns of God, or the C.S. Lewis space trilogy ( That Hedious Strength, etc ), Count of Monte Cristo, A Man Called Thursday, Journey to the Center of the Earth, etc. And then offer to do a report before the class with questions from the class and teacher. You know, something like that.For English class we were assigned to read a book called “The Awakening” which I didn’t read after looking at some of the reviews on the back cover and what my classmates were saying about it. Would reading this book be sinful matter due to its impure content? I’ve already flunked a quiz and assignment about it (probably an essay, too) and now I have to write a big paper on it that would surely sink my grade if I flunk that as well. What should I do?
But no, you cannot read the book assigned, given the circumstances.
That is my personal opinion only, you can talk it over with your parents or your parish priest. And I would do that first.