B
buffalo
Guest
The Cardinal Virtues: Temperance The Cardinal Virtues: Temperance | The Catholic Gentleman
You know, maybe you should argue for your position yourself instead of trying to get someone else to do your job for you?If your definition of mental health informal, it does not follow that transgendered people have mental disorders by definitions. I think you can work out the logic.
I’m afraid that this your answer does not explain much. In what way is my impression wrong? Maybe I just didn’t make it sufficiently clear that I did use hyperbole there?Your impression is wrong.
And?Your example fails. There are eleven symptoms of “alcohol use disorder” while there are no physical symptoms of gender dysphoria and none for SSA.
So, do you claim that physical symptoms exist, or that they do not exist?Rather, the DSM-5 includes a number of conditions with a clearly physical component such as in the case of gender dysphoria. (American Psychiatric Association, 2013)
And if you want to actually argue for your position, you can do it here.If you want to learn more about mental health disorders you can do so here: DSM V
I guess a man who thinks he’s Napoleon is likely to have a mental disorder that is not a moral disorder.How is that distinguished from a moral disorder? Surely one could have a temptation to sin without having a moral disorder, no? Do you believe the terms “moral disorder” and “psychological disorder” to mean exactly the same thing?
You are the person who made the claim. You have no standard to measure it against except your own definition.If our definition of mental health informal, it does not follow that transgendered people have mental disorders by definitions. I think you can work out the logic
My position is simple. A psychological state is considered a mental disorder only if it causes significant distress or disability. Do you find it strange that a psychologist adheres to and utilizes the APA definition of mental illness?You know, maybe you should argue for your position yourself instead of trying to get someone else to do your job for you?
For no, just because I didn’t take the trouble to formalise the definition does not mean that it inevitably has to be completely useless.
Also, it would be nice to see it side to side with your definition.
Your impression is wrong. See definition of mental disorder above. Do you believe everyone who a significant distress or disability needs to be has to be locked up? I don’t.I’m afraid that this your answer does not explain much. In what way is my impression wrong? Maybe I just didn’t make it sufficiently clear that I did use hyperbole there?
Gender dysphoria is a mental disorder. Being transgendered is not.Rather, the DSM-5 includes a number of conditions with a clearly physical component such as in the case of gender dysphoria. (American Psychiatric Association, 2013)
I was not the one who made the claim that transgendered people have a mental disorder by definition. You offered only your own definition for support for that claim. You are basically saying that transgendered people have a disorder because MPat says they have.If you want to learn more about mental health disorders you can do so here: DSM V
And if you want to actually argue for your position, you can do it here.
Seriously, if that link has anything that is relevant here (in your opinion), feel free to cite it. And to explain why you think it relevant. And to explain why you consider that source to be good.
You are the person who made the claim. You have no standard to measure it against except your own definition.
A. MPat says transgendered people have mental disorders by definition
B. MPat uses his own informal definition of mental disorder as the standard
C. Therefore A is true.
So, the form of your argument is the same as “mine”. The only difference is that you use the definition given by APA.My position is simple. A psychological state is considered a mental disorder only if it causes significant distress or disability. Do you find it strange that a psychologist adheres to and utilizes the APA definition of mental illness?
So, I was right in guessing that you missed the fact that I was using hyperbole. (Do you see that hyperbole now?)Your impression is wrong. See definition of mental disorder above. Do you believe everyone who a significant distress or disability needs to be has to be locked up? I don’t.
Not so simple. Using “sex” or “sexual” where “gender” is used would change the meaning of the phrase. For example “sexual expression” and “gender expression” mean two different things. Gender and sexual are not interchangeable here.Gender regards language. Sex is in the DNA and describes humans.
If the psychologists have it wrong, then spreading TRUE information about their classification scheme has the potential to do harm, too.While you can believe anything you want, when you spread misinformation about mental disorders the misinformation has the potential to do harm.
How would a mental health professional determine what is true and what is false about the APA classification of mental disorders? As always I respect your opinion.frobert:![]()
If the psychologists have it wrong, then spreading TRUE information about their classification scheme has the potential to do harm, too.While you can believe anything you want, when you spread misinformation about mental disorders the misinformation has the potential to do harm.
You don’t need a PhD but if you want to add to your knowledge about gender it is helpful to learn from perspectives outside of your comfort zone.what the heck is ‘gender theory’ or ‘gender ideology’?
Do i need to possess a Ph.D in order to know what my own gender is?
So, now you claim that the advantage of “APA” definition is that it is “standardized”? That’s it?The difference is the APA has standardized diagnostic criteria for mental health disorders which is used by mental health professionals.
Oh, really? Why?It would be unethical for mental health professionals to substitute MPat opinions in diagnosing and treating their patients.
Are you sure he has to determine what is true and what is false? It is sufficient to take a realistic (humble) view of his own profession. He is not really much of a “mental health professional”, he is mostly just a man who is willing to be paid for listening to other men. That is already a useful role: sometimes that really helps, and not everyone is willing to listen to insane people, even for money.How would a mental health professional determine what is true and what is false about the APA classification of mental disorders?
Thanks for the feedback. I guess my post-grad degree in psychology isn’t worth much then.The difference is the APA has standardized diagnostic criteria for mental health disorders which is used by mental health professionals.
So, now you claim that the advantage of “APA” definition is that it is “standardized”? That’s it?
I’m afraid that’s not worth much
And I respect yours. My point is that – presuming there are FACTS about what is mental illness and what is not mental illness – any errors in the DSM would plausibly harm people. And thus spreading news of the DSM diagnoses would harm them, too.How would a mental health professional determine what is true and what is false about the APA classification of mental disorders? As always I respect your opinion.
If you think it is worth much, why aren’t you successfully persuading me here?Thanks for the feedback. I guess my post-grad degree in psychology isn’t worth much then.
I’m afraid that I did “diagnose” the misunderstanding, and you did not (even after being told what happened). It looks like Psychology was not very useful here…frobert:![]()
So, I was right in guessing that you missed the fact that I was using hyperbole. (Do you see that hyperbole now?)MPat:![]()
Your impression is wrong. See definition of mental disorder above. Do you believe everyone who a significant distress or disability needs to be has to be locked up? I don’t.frobert:![]()
I’m afraid that this your answer does not explain much. In what way is my impression wrong? Maybe I just didn’t make it sufficiently clear that I did use hyperbole there?MPat:![]()
Your impression is wrong.And I get an impression that you count someone as having a “mental disorder” when we get close to the point where that “someone” has to be locked into an asylum and stay there. On the other hand, I’m counting much milder forms and disorders taken under control (but not completely treated) as well.
And I was pointing out one problem with “APA” definition: under it there can be no such thing as a “mild form of mental disorder”. You can only have a form that already causes something significantly bad. I’d say that is a bad feature for a definition. Would you disagree?
Oh? And why would you say that?And that is not an uncommon experience: psychologists seem to show superior understanding of how humans think and behave suspiciously rarely. They seem to show substandard understanding far more often.