RECOMMEND RCIA PROGRAM?

• Thread starter Thread starter gneillewis
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
We used handouts from the Association for Catechumenal Ministry and I thought they were nice and I did not find anything non-orthodox in their teachings as compared to the US Catechism For Adults which I read while going through along with the weekly readings.

I don’t use a specific program (RCIA is really not a program) but I take things from here and there. I use some RCL, some Catholic Updates, some ACM. Since I have degrees in theology I also use a lot of stuff that came from the course I have taken. We use Exploring the Scriptures for dismissal breaking open the Word and sometimes use the scripture commentary in America. We don’t like to be limited to one source. We have used books and sometimes just use scripture. I don’t use the catechism because I don’t like to treat RCIA like a course. They have a copy of the catechism and I tell them where they can find it but I find that a good presentation and handouts are a lot more interesting than reading the Catechism. The catechists use the Catechism to prepare their presentations. We also use a lot of scripture.

old thread but good to revisit each year I think

this is the first full year I have had catechists willing to do the extra work to use the ACM materials, and first year all RCIA catechists have had training. Still trying to get the diocese to bring ACM down here for training (last time was 2005 when NAFC came down). They are miles ahead of the competition with the CD of downloadable “handouts”. When they implement the Spanish edition we will never look back.

If your budget is limited, never mind handouts, purchase the ACM catechist manual.

I cannot emphasize enough that the quality of the catechist determines the quality and usefulness of the resources. Yes it is my duty to provide my catechists and catechumens the best, but if they are not going to be used properly it is money poorly spent.

Now that our Spanish program is in high gear, however, I still rely on bilingual materials, and Journey of Faith by Liguori is still the only resource that has children, youth and adult packets in English and Spanish. During Lent and Mystagogy when we have mixed groups, this is essential. But they are only a starting point, not stand alone, you still need well-grounded catechists to fill deficiencies. The RCIA catechists still use Making Disciples from Our Sunday Visitor as the catechist manual for “what has to be covered” on each topic, and we use their suggested timeline and schedule, and use the JOF handouts as homework, family discussion, and for candidates and sponsor or children and parents to work on together, as a reinforcement and testing, rather than initial presentation, of the topic.

The two adult classes in English, RCIA and Confirmation, use ACM. Catechisms are available, and the handouts are great and all we need.

If anyone is interested I have a three part (3 day) Team training Power Point presentation on the 1.) Rite, 2.) The Process, 3.)The Implementation. As well as a Team Formation one and a Sponsor formation one. I will send to anyone interested. Request via Email.
Would you please share this with me. I’m Luis Bergantino (HERMANOLUIS.CATOLICO@gmail.com) Thanks!

We had the ACM in our diocese this year and it was very disappointing after using their materials. The presentations were lackluster and not dynamic. We expected much more based on the high quality of their materials. (they were orthodox/faithful, however. nothing objectionable in their content.)

If anyone is interested I have a three part (3 day) Team training Power Point presentation on the 1.) Rite, 2.) The Process, 3.)The Implementation. As well as a Team Formation one and a Sponsor formation one. I will send to anyone interested. Request via Email.
Yes, I would be interested. gerard56@gmail.com

We use ACM at our parish but I have to tell you, the presentation depends upon the catechist. We have a program that works with each Catechist to hone their presentation skills and get people excited about what they are learning. We send our group to the Bosco conference every year and we participate in each others’ presentations. Since we have implemented the use of the ACM (about 7 years now) we have had a resurgence in our RCIA program - packed to the gils so to speak. I think it is because the Catechists are growing in the Faith, our prayer lives are deeper and so the Holy Spirit is giving us lots of opportunity to flex our catechetical muscles!👍

40.png
waltbrooksbank:
I am interested to receive it. Please can you email to me rodneynicholas@gmail.com

I am interested to receive it. Please can you email to me rodneynicholas@gmail.com
Welcome to CAF! 👋

Just FYI, but this thread is over 10 years old and the poster who said he would email his program to people (Br Rich) has not logged in to the forum for two years. He did give his email address above, so you could try emailing him directly (if that is even still his email address).

It’s generally not a good idea to post your email address on public forums. Spammers write computer programs to browse the web and pull email addresses that they can then use to send spam to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back