Reconciling Humani Generis with the human genetic data showing that there never were just two first parents

• Thread starter Thread starter Allyson
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You seem to be defining what rationality can be but excluding anything which might posses it - perhaps leading to the only conclusion you want.
The thing is, if you’ve got an empirically-measurable definition of ‘rationality’, I’d love to hear it. On the other hand, when the Church discusses the human soul, it’s its quality of being in the imago Dei is what is most critical.
In which case we don’t need to define what is meant by ‘a rational animal’. It is thus defined: ‘that which God has granted a soul’.
I’d prefer to make the definition look like this: the definition of a true human person is a person with a human body and immortal soul.

I’d prefer to make the definition look like this: the definition of a true human person is a person with a human body and immortal soul.
And what’s the definition of an immortal soul? It’s that form which is posessed by a human person. Literally.

I’m sure you appreciate the problem here…

Perhaps, then, I’m suggesting that you read it less narrowly.
That really goes to the heart of my initial question. Can you give me a good reason to read it less narrowly in light of Church tradition and teaching.
Humani Generis is an encyclical in which the Pope is speaking ex cathedra on a matter of faith and morals - in this case: the doctrine of Original Sin. The only thing of equivalent presidential value would be the final documents of an ecumenical council.

Persuasive, but not requiring assent would be the proceedings of any regional council or formal statements by the Pope that reflect his prudential opinion, but that the universal church is not required to hold as dogmatic statements.

Finally, just for shiggles, when Pope Francis has a chat on a plane, “well, that’s just his opinion…man…” (In your best Liebowski voice). 😉
Hmm… how is “science is science, and theology is theology” cognitively dissonant?
Because, when you take as fact a scientific conclusion and take as fact a theological assertion on the same matter that on their face disagree, there is not way to resolve the conflict without holding two conflicting beliefs or doing damage to one or both disciplines doing mental contortions to make the puzzle pieces fit.
That depends on what you mean by “science points to God”, doesn’t it? 😉
Indeed 😉 and, in many case, the science does not mean what people think it means.

So… before we say that science can demonstrate ‘rationality’, we’re going to have to pin down a rather well-defined notion of what the purported measurable effects of ‘rationality’ are, no?
Beyond the examples you gave, the main marker of what makes us human in scientific terms is the ability to use symbolic communication/art and the ability to pass along complex technology. Other apes use tools, but they do not fashion stones into spear points. This requires knowledge of how stones will fracture and how to pick out the best stones for that purpose. Homo Habilis has this level of tool making ability. Neanderthals, although their tools appear more primitive and they keep the same basic design over time, were master tool makers. The method needed to make their points were very complex and they would travel of trade far distances for the best flint. They also figured out how to make pitch long before homo sapiens did. It was used to glue spear points to the shaft. This is a process that requires an oxygen deprived environment to prevent spontaneous combustion. This level of technology requires knowledge that is communicated generationally. It is now believed that some of the earliest abstract cave painting were produced by Neanderthals.

Let’s cut to the chase: the claim of religion is ‘immortal souls’. Can science measure this?
It is the claim of religion that the natural sciences cannot, yet the religions that speak of a personal God also claim that he acts in/on the world. That is what the Incarnation was, God acting in the world. That is what miracles are supposed to be. If God has an effect on the natural world, then we should be able to measure it. The same is so with an immortal soul. If it is a thing that has relevance to our being, then we should be able to determine its validity. Otherwise, it is just wishful thinking.
You’re missing a critical point, and I hope it’s not an intentional mischaracterization: it’s generation of true humans , not just generation of hominins.
Re: Hominins: I am not including Gorillas and Chimps in this discussion. I am just speaking of humans - roughly Homo Habilis/Homo Erectus to the present.
Please substantiate this claim. On its face, you seem to be claiming that truth can only be found “within 6-10KYA” and not “200KYA or earlier”. That’s simply illogical.
I am speaking of the credulity evoked by a truth claim, not when you can validate a truth claim. I am saying that the more literally you that the myth as fact, the easier it is to find the claim of Original Sin credulous/with merit/foundational to our being. On the other hand, when we consider the real natural history of the world, we cannot easily draw the line on at which point we became human in the archaeological record because - in part - we have no oral history of that time. What is recorded in the Bible probably an oral historical myth of human society transitioning from hunter gather to farming ~10kya. To the extent that any of the characters were based on real people, they were people living long after humanity arose on the earth.

I feel certain myself that Pope Pius XII would have taken a very dim view of attempts to reconcile his monogenetic view of the origin of man with the admixture of theological ‘Adamic’ genes (derived from one or two people) into a hominid group of a few thousand people, such as that proposed by Kenneth Kemp. It was almost certainly his view, derived entirely from the book of Genesis and not at that time contradicted by paleontological discoveries, that all humans were and have been derived entirely and exclusively from Adam, with no admixture of any other genes whatever from any other living thing. He may well have believed that Eve was, as told in Genesis, derived exclusively from Adam, although if so, and if he understood anything about genetics, he must also have thought that her genes were miraculously different from Adam’s as she was clearly not a clone.

As it happens, he was also almost certainly wrong, and I’m afraid I don’t think interpreting his words in a way he almost certainly did not mean is valuable theology.
Humani Generis is an encyclical in which the Pope is speaking ex cathedra on a matter of faith and morals - in this case: the doctrine of Original Sin.
Fortunately, encyclicals are not infallible, and are not issued “ex cathedra”, which means that although Catholics must take them seriously, they can be corrected. This one certainly will be, although whether the doctrine of original sin is a pressing concern at the moment I rather doubt, and, as usual, the Church will move with due consideration and caution.

Pope Benedict XVI tiptoed into the arena, in an audience of 3 December 2008. “However, as people of today we must ask ourselves: what is this original sin? What does St Paul teach, what does the Church teach? Is this doctrine still sustainable today? Many think that in light of the history of evolution, there is no longer room for the doctrine of a first sin that then would have permeated the whole of human history. And, as a result, the matter of Redemption and of the Redeemer would also lose its foundation. Therefore, does original sin exist or not? In order to respond, we must distinguish between two aspects of the doctrine on original sin. There exists an empirical aspect, that is, a reality that is concrete, visible, I would say tangible to all. And an aspect of mystery concerning the ontological foundation of this event.”

The audience continued with a careful and meticulous exploration of the first aspect, and no further mention of the second. Indeed, His Holiness went to some length to downplay the “sin of Adam” as anything more than a necessary precursor to “the immeasurable gift of grace in Christ”. Empirically, he says, there is no question of the existence, and the force, of original sin: “The power of evil in the human heart and in human history is an undeniable fact”.

But exactly how it arrived historically is really not very important.

Last edited:
40.png
Allyson:
My reading of Humani Generis is that there is no room for genetic contribution from others. Emphasis mine:
“For the faithful cannot embrace that opinion which maintains that either after Adam there existed on this earth true men who did not take their origin through natural generation from him as from the first parent of all, or that Adam represents a certain number of first parents.”
Those other genetic contributors with no descent from Adam would not have been true men as they would not have had rational souls. Only children with Adam as an ancestor would have had rational souls and be true men and women.

As for other homo species with language and religion, perhaps Adam predated them. He wouldn’t necessarily have to have been homo sapiens, just a true man.
This ^^^ ought to be a sticky at the top of every thread that wants to discuss evolution, followed by a check box:
“read this and check the box indicating you understand the Church’s definition of true human before bloviating”
Because people continually conflate science and theology, or read things like Humanii Generis through the eyes of material science, or read theology in fideistic ways that are ignorant of science.

Last edited:
However, I believed some theologians have since provided ways for such reconciliation to be achieved. If one accepts those as persuasive, then the complaint that was the basis for the rejection of polygenism is obviated.
Those attempts at reconciliation that I have seen refer to structures of sin that are unavoidable in people’s life. However, those explanations contradicted the definition of Trent: transfused into all by propagation, not by imitation, is in each one as his own.

No, I don’t. I suspect that the “problem” that you perceive is the lack of ability to empirically measure the soul. Since it’s a spiritual reality, not physical, we would predict that we’re fully unable to make empirical (i.e., physical) measurements of non-physical entities. So… is this the “problem” to which you refer, or is it a different sort of problem?
Humani Generis is an encyclical in which the Pope is speaking ex cathedra on a matter of faith and morals - in this case: the doctrine of Original Sin. The only thing of equivalent presidential value would be the final documents of an ecumenical council.
OK, I agree with this assessment. However, that still doesn’t explain why you insist on a particular interpretation which seems to be far too narrow. What I’m trying to ask is why you demand that your interpretation of the text is the correct one?
Because, when you take as fact a scientific conclusion and take as fact a theological assertion on the same matter that on their face disagree
Allyson, that’s the whole point: they’re not “on the same matter”. Science is talking about physical realities, and theology is talking about spiritual ones. Very literally, in this case, science isn’t talking about souls and theology is.
Beyond the examples you gave
…none of which are exclusive to humans, and therefore, cannot be descriptive of ‘rationality’ as such…
the main marker of what makes us human in scientific terms is the ability to use symbolic communication/art and the ability to pass along complex technology
That’s a nice definition, and perhaps it has some merit. But, if your project is to conflate the goals of science and theology – and, you have to admit, that’s what you’re trying to assert here – then you have reached an interesting point. Namely, you now get to go to scientists and ask “ok… are you asserting that humans possessed immortal souls at that point in their development?” After all, that’s what’s at stake in the theological discussion. And, I’m sure you’ll agree, you won’t get a helpful answer to that question from scientists. Therefore, I respectfully suggest that this quest for an answer that’s an amalgam of science and theology is a fool’s errand – the two disciplines aren’t in conflict, but they’re certainly not seeking the same answers or goals.

the religions that speak of a personal God also claim that he acts in/on the world.
Great. Do you have an empirical method that’s capable of predicting these interactions? Because, if you don’t, then you’re never going to be able to establish a null hypothesis.
If God has an effect on the natural world, then we should be able to measure it
That is, if you’re able to predict when these effects occur, such that you might hope to measure them. If you’re unable to predict them, then the hope to “determine [their] validity” is just “wishful thinking”.
What is recorded in the Bible probably an oral historical myth of human society transitioning from hunter gather to farming ~10kya.
You realize you’re doing it again, right? You’re conflating the two fields and invalidly extrapolating from one to the other. The Genesis story is not one of a “transition from hunter-gatherers to farmers”, but of God’s creation of humans from pre-existing materials and infusing in them immortal souls in His image and likeness.

40.png
Freddy:
No, I don’t.
We have this:
The thing is, if you’ve got an empirically-measurable definition of ‘rationality’, I’d love to hear it.

You’re asking how we can define rationality (so we can determine what posseses it), suggest we can’t empirically measure it but then tell us that that which is a rational animal will have an immortal soul. So this is how we could determine it. If something has an immortal soul then it is a rational animal.

OK. So now we need to know what a soul is. Then we can ask what has it and then we can determine if it’s a rational animal. And the answer is that it’s the form of a rational animal.

It’a quite a tight little circle.

If this tight circle were to be true, rationality would have to be defined as being a characteristic of a particular group (species) which is essential to the group’s nature (essence).

Because it doesn’t, and couldn’t, follow that if something has an immortal soul then it is a rational animal.

For example, we would say that a 6 month old baby has an immortal soul even though the baby is not rational, and may not ever become rational if he’s severely developmentally disabled.

So, in searching for a benchmark for an immortal soul, rationality per se doesn’t seem to be a reliable marker.

The only way around this problem is to claim that the whole human race is a whole body in which it’s parts (individuals) do not constitute the nature, or essence, of the whole; but the nature of the whole constitutes the nature, or essence, of the individual.

Last edited:
40.png
Freddy:
If this tight circle were to be true, rationality would have to be defined as being a characteristic of a particular group (species) which is essential to the group’s nature (essence).

Because it doesn’t, and couldn’t, follow that if something has an immortal soul then it is a rational animal.

For example, we would say that a 6 month old baby has an immortal soul even though the baby is not rational, and may not ever become rational if he’s severely developmentally disabled.

So, in searching for a benchmark for an immortal soul, rationality per se doesn’t seem to be a reliable marker.

The only way around this problem is to claim that the whole human race is a whole body in which it’s parts (individuals) do not constitute the nature, or essence, of the whole; but the nature of the whole constitutes the nature, or essence, of the individual.
I believe that Aquinas for example would argue that the only rational animal is Man. And that the form of a rational animal corresponds with its soul, therefore Man has a soul. But the soul in not JUST the form of Man because the form generally ceases to be when the material ceases to be. So a wooden statue has wood as its material and the form of whatever shape the staue takes but if you burn the material then the form no longer exists.

But it seems there’s an exception for Man because when a man dies, his form/soul does not. If you can connect the dots for me here I’d be obliged because I see no logical.reason for claiming this.

So if something has an immortal soul it can only be Man and it can only have a soul because it is a rational animal. Go figure.

And in regard to tbe unborn child, it is argued that at the moment of conception the zygote has the natural potential for being a rational animal and that potential is sufficient for it to have a soul. And I say natural potential as that is included to avoid what people might consider to be unatural means of conception such as cloning.

Although the argument also applies to the female egg and the millions of male sperm: they all have the natural potential to become a rational animal. But do all my sperm have immortal souls? Seems odd to me.

I have not moved the goalposts. I an reading Humani Generis narrowly
OK, I agree with this assessment. However, that still doesn’t explain why you insist on a particular interpretation which seems to be far too narrow. What I’m trying to ask is why you demand that your interpretation of the text is the correct one?
I plan to respond to all the rest of your responses as soon as I can, but I wanted to provide an influential piece of source material for why I am reading the text of the Encyclical narrowly. I am not demanding that it is the correct reading; in fact the whole point of my posting in the forum for the first time in 9ish years is to see if anyone has a middle ground answer that does justice to both theology and science!

I am keeping to the most orthodox reading regarding the conditions required to butress the doctrine of Original Sin. When I was finishing my Anthropology Studies almost 20 year ago, and planning for my Theology studies, I happened across a preface written by a theologian well-known by me. He was one of the most brilliant theologians I had the pleasure to know, which is why I read his work very seriously. I know that he is not the only theologian or priest who thinks this way, but he writes very well, and the document is not long. Plus, it is what was influential for me 20 years ago, even though I disagree with more of it now than I did then.

See - Preface to Creation Rediscovered

Last edited:
Does my BA in Anthropology and MA in Theology tick enough boxes to post about the intersection of science and theology? 😉

But it seems there’s an exception for Man because when a man dies, his form/soul does not. If you can connect the dots for me here I’d be obliged because I see no logical.reason for claiming this.
I’ll try. It might be helpful to use the word life instead of form when you’re talking about the form of the body. The body’s form is it’s soul because it’s soul is it’s “animating principal”. Man’s form is his soul because man is a living being.

I believe the same principle holds for all living things when using Aquinas’ model of “form”. Man just happens to have an immortal soul. So, when the soul leaves the body, the body no longer has it’s form (life), and the body dies.

The wooden chair is not living, so it’s “form” doesn’t take the…form (sorry) of a soul. It’s form, if I’m not mistaken, is determined by it’s assigned purpose.

I’m not a big Aquinas fan myself so I could have this somewhat wrong.

Last edited:
Fortunately, encyclicals are not infallible, and are not issued “ex cathedra”, which means that although Catholics must take them seriously, they can be corrected. This one certainly will be, although whether the doctrine of original sin is a pressing concern at the moment I rather doubt, and, as usual, the Church will move with due consideration and caution.
I agree with pretty much everything you have posted including that even encyclicals can be corrected because not EVERY word is ex cathedra. However, when it is ex cathedra, it is because the pope is speaking about faith and morals and requiring that the church universal assent to that teaching. That is exactly what what Pius XII is doing in Paragraph 37. He is saying what Catholics are NOT at liberty to hold, even though he says elsewhere in the encylclical that they may study evolution, he is very clear on what conclusion could not be drawn.

I think he was incorrect on the science of the time, which was already certain of the fact that man evolved from the same ancestors as other apes, and premature in make such a firm statement. Undoubtly, the exponetial growth in data just adds to how he was incorrect, but he was also trying to preserve the reason for being of salvation history. It matter very much how evil came to be if you think that you need to be saved by a divine being.

You’re asking how we can define rationality (so we can determine what posseses it), suggest we can’t empirically measure it but then tell us that that which is a rational animal will have an immortal soul.
From a theological perspective? Sure. But the question being asked is how we can define it scientifically – or, more to Allyson’s point, how we can define it as a combination of both disciplines. So, if you want to attempt that, have at it! 😉
You’re free to break the circle and come up with your own definition that meets both disciplines’ requirements. Let’s see what you come up with… 🍿
I plan to respond to all the rest of your responses as soon as I can
No problems. Take your time. I’ll keep an eye out for your response!
I happened across a preface written by a theologian well-known by me. He was one of the most brilliant theologians I had the pleasure to know, which is why I read his work very seriously. I know that he is not the only theologian or priest who thinks this way, but he writes very well, and the document is not long. Plus, it is what was influential for me 20 years ago, even though I disagree with more of it now than I did then.
So, his thesis is “we might posit theistic evolution if we’re afraid that scientific theories of evolution might one day be confirmed; but, since they can’t be confirmed, we don’t have to worry about that eventuality, so we can throw away the desire to hold to theistic evolution.” Umm… :roll_eyes:

40.png
Freddy:
You’re asking how we can define rationality (so we can determine what posseses it), suggest we can’t empirically measure it but then tell us that that which is a rational animal will have an immortal soul.
From a theological perspective? Sure. But the question being asked is how we can define it scientifically – or, more to Allyson’s point, how we can define it as a combination of both disciplines. So, if you want to attempt that, have at it!
The definition from a scientific viewpoint is simply the standard definition you’d find in any given dictionary: based on or in accordance with reason or logic. That animals other than Man exhibit reason is beyond doubt.

From a theological perspective it appears to apply only to apply to Man. We are the only rational animal (hence the only one with an immortal soul). I guess there’s an additional clause in the theological definition somewhere that limits reason to only that which man can exhibit. So the argument would go: ‘Oh yeah. Of course (insert any intelligent animal of your choice here) exhibit rational behaviour. But they can’t (insert something only Man can do)!’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back