Red State Democrats / Blue State Republicans

  • Thread starter Thread starter jlw
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Fitz:
I think Oberweis is going to run again.
And again and again. Actually, we don’t have a Senate race this time around. He’s running for governor, I think.
 
40.png
chicago:
And again and again. Actually, we don’t have a Senate race this time around. He’s running for governor, I think.
That’s right. I wish he would have a chance. I don’t think so though.
 
40.png
jlw:
Thus the state of affairs in Arkansas, I’m afraid.
You sound as if you think it a bad thing.
Seriously now…are both senators in the “safe” camp in a re-election bid??
Yes, they are. Mark Pryor was one of those moderates who helped avert the “nuclear option,” and Blanche Lincoln is also a moderate. And both very popular.

My Congressman, Vic Snyder is a pro-choice liberal (and he voted in support of the bill to help Terry Schiavo), but is held in such esteem that even the conservative Arkansas Democrat-Gazette endorsed him.
 
You sound as if you think it a bad thing.
Uh…
Arkansas has been passed economically by Mississippi and is now 50th in the Union in per capita income (51st, if you count Washington, DC.)
The state has a 22% adult illiteracy rate – with some counties well over 40%. (When the latest figures are in, the smart money is betting at least two counties will top 50%.)
Of those Arkansas high school graduates who go on to college, 58% require remedial courses – in effect only achieving high school standards after graduating and attending college.
Yes, actually, I do.
 
vern humphrey:
Arkansas has been passed economically by Mississippi and is now 50th in the Union in per capita income (51st, if you count Washington, DC.)

The state has a 22% adult illiteracy rate – with some counties well over 40%. (When the latest figures are in, the smart money is betting at least two counties will top 50%.)

Of those Arkansas high school graduates who go on to college, 58% require remedial courses – in effect only achieving high school standards after graduating and attending college.
Tue enough, but, what’s your point? That Arkies are all stupid and poor? If so, what does it have to do with this thread?
Jim Holt, the Republican challenger only raised about $90,000 and got 44% of the vote in his race against Democrat Blanche Lincoln in '04.
Holt was and is, a crazy. If Lincoln didn’t take a challenge seriously enough in '04, she will in '08.
Democratic Senator Mark Prior will probably face a stiff challenge in '08.
By whom? And, even if so, he’ll still win. He’s a decent man, a moderate, who can’t be labeled as liberal or conservative. Sometimes, decency is a valuable trait in a politician.
 
Tue enough, but, what’s your point? That Arkies are all stupid and poor? If so, what does it have to do with this thread?
The title of the thread was Red State Democrats /…

Part of the conversation that I think is relavant is the state of affairs in each state and the politicians who are elected, do well, do their constituents a diservice, etc.

I think the PC terms are uneducated and unemployeed.
 
40.png
Richardols:
Either way, it’s saying that our people are worthless. I must disagree.
Richardols what on earth are you saying? Stating a fact, that the literacy level in a particular state is low is not calling the people worthless, it is a call to action. Would you prefer we adopt the slow bigotry of low expectations instead of being horrified by these statistics?

Since this is a political thread, perhaps jlw suggests that the Arkansan representation is not doing well for its citizens. It certainly sounds like someone is asleep at the wheel. I believe Vern Humphreys generally weighs in on Arkansas politics and is like any compassionate person aghast at the statistics. So what’s up with the Arkansas legislators?

Lisa N
 
I am a republican in a blue state with two republican senators and a dem gov.

Kathleen
 
Lisa N:
Richardols what on earth are you saying? Stating a fact, that the literacy level in a particular state is low is not calling the people worthless, it is a call to action. Would you prefer we adopt the slow bigotry of low expectations instead of being horrified by these statistics?

Since this is a political thread, perhaps jlw suggests that the Arkansan representation is not doing well for its citizens. It certainly sounds like someone is asleep at the wheel. I believe Vern Humphreys generally weighs in on Arkansas politics and is like any compassionate person aghast at the statistics. So what’s up with the Arkansas legislators?
What do you expect our (or any other state’s) federal representatives do to raise the literacy rate? Last I heard, education was a local state and school district concern. We should be going after our Governor and State Leg, not the U.S. Congress. BTW, I always thought that you conservatives preferred not to rely on the federal government to solve local problems. Not any more?

Sure, Vern weighs in. He ran unsuccessfully as a Republican for the 2nd District Representative post to oust Marion Berry, and may try to run again. It may be one of Vern’s campaign issues, but I still don’t see that the Feds are going to provide the solution, whether he gets to Congress or not.
 
40.png
Richardols:
Either way, it’s saying that our people are worthless. I must disagree.
Whoa, whoa there. NEVER in a million years. Each has inherent worth and dignity. AND, they’ve been shortchanged by the policymakers of their state.

AND, if it is true that
all but one Representative in Congress are Democrats.
then they shouldn’t they, as Arkansas representatives, speak to the educational and economic woes in their state?? Poor education and state economic stagnation isn’t just an Arkansas problem. No??
 
40.png
jlw:
AND, they’ve been shortchanged by the policymakers of their state.
Yes, our State Leg, which just finished their latest session.
AND, if it is true that then they shouldn’t they, as Arkansas representatives, speak to the educational and economic woes in their state??
But, what are they, as members of Congress, going to do that our State legislators won’t or can’t do?
Poor education and state economic stagnation isn’t just an Arkansas problem. No??
Right. It’s endemic all over the South. And each state has to decide what it can or will do about it. Arkansas, like Mississippi and such, are poor and with little economic possibilities, the Waltons and Stephens notwithstanding. We recently lost a bid for an automobile assembly plant, though the Governor tired hard to get it. Now, that would have helped.
 
We recently lost a bid for an automobile assembly plant, though the Governor tired hard to get it. Now, that would have helped.
That sucks. Where did it go??
 
40.png
Richardols:
What do you expect our (or any other state’s) federal representatives do to raise the literacy rate? Last I heard, education was a local state and school district concern. We should be going after our Governor and State Leg, not the U.S. Congress. BTW, I always thought that you conservatives preferred not to rely on the federal government to solve local problems. Not any more?.
Richardols, I didn’t realize that jlw meant ONLY to discuss the federal aspects of being blue state republicans or red state democrats. I do not know the make up of Arkansas. But someone is asleep at the wheel. Do you have a state legislature? A governor?
40.png
Richardols:
Sure, Vern weighs in. He ran unsuccessfully as a Republican for the 2nd District Representative post to oust Marion Berry, and may try to run again. It may be one of Vern’s campaign issues, but I still don’t see that the Feds are going to provide the solution, whether he gets to Congress or not.
Honestly I was simply referring to your knee jerk reaction to jlw’s comment regarding the Arkansas literacy issues. He was not saying the people were worthless but they certainly need some kind of leadership. Will it come from the Dems or the Republicans?

Lisa N
 
Lisa N:
Richardols, I didn’t realize that jlw meant ONLY to discuss the federal aspects of being blue state republicans or red state democrats. I do not know the make up of Arkansas. But someone is asleep at the wheel. Do you have a state legislature? A governor?
I can’t begin to tell you about the issues the Ledge was facing during the last session vis-a-vis education.
they certainly need some kind of leadership. Will it come from the Dems or the Republicans?
The Governor is a Republican, the Ledge is mostly Democrat. That’s some of it.
 
40.png
Richardols:
Tue enough, but, what’s your point? That Arkies are all stupid and poor? If so, what does it have to do with this thread?
My point is that Arkansas is badly governed. All the southern states are starting to move ahead, except for Arkansas, which is still in the grip of the Bourbon Redemptionists.
40.png
Richardols:
Holt was and is, a crazy. If Lincoln didn’t take a challenge seriously enough in '04, she will in '08.
That’ll put her on the wrong foot, since she isn’t up for re-election in '08.http://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon10.gif
 
vern humphrey:
My point is that Arkansas is badly governed. All the southern states are starting to move ahead, except for Arkansas, which is still in the grip of the Bourbon Redemptionists.
Mississippi moving ahead? Well…if you think so.
That’ll put her on the wrong foot, since she isn’t up for re-election in '08.http://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon10.gif
Yes, I should have engaged my mind before putting my mouth in gear on that one.
 
40.png
Richardols:
What do you expect our (or any other state’s) federal representatives do to raise the literacy rate? Last I heard, education was a local state and school district concern. We should be going after our Governor and State Leg, not the U.S. Congress. BTW, I always thought that you conservatives preferred not to rely on the federal government to solve local problems. Not any more?
.
The first thing the Federal government should do is enforce the Constitution. When a child is forced to attend a sub-standard school, that child’s rights to equal protection under the law are being violated.

Arkansas (and many other states) has maintained a system where the children of the poor get the worst schools, and the children of the affluent get the good schools.

The primary civil rights issue of the 21st Century is the right of every child to a first-class education.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top