C
chicago
Guest
And again and again. Actually, we don’t have a Senate race this time around. He’s running for governor, I think.I think Oberweis is going to run again.
And again and again. Actually, we don’t have a Senate race this time around. He’s running for governor, I think.I think Oberweis is going to run again.
That’s right. I wish he would have a chance. I don’t think so though.And again and again. Actually, we don’t have a Senate race this time around. He’s running for governor, I think.
You sound as if you think it a bad thing.Thus the state of affairs in Arkansas, I’m afraid.
Yes, they are. Mark Pryor was one of those moderates who helped avert the “nuclear option,” and Blanche Lincoln is also a moderate. And both very popular.Seriously now…are both senators in the “safe” camp in a re-election bid??
Uh…You sound as if you think it a bad thing.
Arkansas has been passed economically by Mississippi and is now 50th in the Union in per capita income (51st, if you count Washington, DC.)
The state has a 22% adult illiteracy rate – with some counties well over 40%. (When the latest figures are in, the smart money is betting at least two counties will top 50%.)
Yes, actually, I do.Of those Arkansas high school graduates who go on to college, 58% require remedial courses – in effect only achieving high school standards after graduating and attending college.
Tue enough, but, what’s your point? That Arkies are all stupid and poor? If so, what does it have to do with this thread?Arkansas has been passed economically by Mississippi and is now 50th in the Union in per capita income (51st, if you count Washington, DC.)
The state has a 22% adult illiteracy rate – with some counties well over 40%. (When the latest figures are in, the smart money is betting at least two counties will top 50%.)
Of those Arkansas high school graduates who go on to college, 58% require remedial courses – in effect only achieving high school standards after graduating and attending college.
Holt was and is, a crazy. If Lincoln didn’t take a challenge seriously enough in '04, she will in '08.Jim Holt, the Republican challenger only raised about $90,000 and got 44% of the vote in his race against Democrat Blanche Lincoln in '04.
By whom? And, even if so, he’ll still win. He’s a decent man, a moderate, who can’t be labeled as liberal or conservative. Sometimes, decency is a valuable trait in a politician.Democratic Senator Mark Prior will probably face a stiff challenge in '08.
The title of the thread was Red State Democrats /…Tue enough, but, what’s your point? That Arkies are all stupid and poor? If so, what does it have to do with this thread?
Either way, it’s saying that our people are worthless. I must disagree.I think the PC terms are uneducated and unemployed.
Richardols what on earth are you saying? Stating a fact, that the literacy level in a particular state is low is not calling the people worthless, it is a call to action. Would you prefer we adopt the slow bigotry of low expectations instead of being horrified by these statistics?Either way, it’s saying that our people are worthless. I must disagree.
What do you expect our (or any other state’s) federal representatives do to raise the literacy rate? Last I heard, education was a local state and school district concern. We should be going after our Governor and State Leg, not the U.S. Congress. BTW, I always thought that you conservatives preferred not to rely on the federal government to solve local problems. Not any more?Richardols what on earth are you saying? Stating a fact, that the literacy level in a particular state is low is not calling the people worthless, it is a call to action. Would you prefer we adopt the slow bigotry of low expectations instead of being horrified by these statistics?
Since this is a political thread, perhaps jlw suggests that the Arkansan representation is not doing well for its citizens. It certainly sounds like someone is asleep at the wheel. I believe Vern Humphreys generally weighs in on Arkansas politics and is like any compassionate person aghast at the statistics. So what’s up with the Arkansas legislators?
Whoa, whoa there. NEVER in a million years. Each has inherent worth and dignity. AND, they’ve been shortchanged by the policymakers of their state.Either way, it’s saying that our people are worthless. I must disagree.
then they shouldn’t they, as Arkansas representatives, speak to the educational and economic woes in their state?? Poor education and state economic stagnation isn’t just an Arkansas problem. No??all but one Representative in Congress are Democrats.
Yes, our State Leg, which just finished their latest session.AND, they’ve been shortchanged by the policymakers of their state.
But, what are they, as members of Congress, going to do that our State legislators won’t or can’t do?AND, if it is true that then they shouldn’t they, as Arkansas representatives, speak to the educational and economic woes in their state??
Right. It’s endemic all over the South. And each state has to decide what it can or will do about it. Arkansas, like Mississippi and such, are poor and with little economic possibilities, the Waltons and Stephens notwithstanding. We recently lost a bid for an automobile assembly plant, though the Governor tired hard to get it. Now, that would have helped.Poor education and state economic stagnation isn’t just an Arkansas problem. No??
That sucks. Where did it go??We recently lost a bid for an automobile assembly plant, though the Governor tired hard to get it. Now, that would have helped.
The Toyota plant went to @#!!&% (and that’s putting it mildly) San Antonio.That sucks. Where did it go??
In the analysis, what were the %&*#@ factors??The Toyota plant went to @#!!&% (and that’s putting it mildly) San Antonio.
Richardols, I didn’t realize that jlw meant ONLY to discuss the federal aspects of being blue state republicans or red state democrats. I do not know the make up of Arkansas. But someone is asleep at the wheel. Do you have a state legislature? A governor?What do you expect our (or any other state’s) federal representatives do to raise the literacy rate? Last I heard, education was a local state and school district concern. We should be going after our Governor and State Leg, not the U.S. Congress. BTW, I always thought that you conservatives preferred not to rely on the federal government to solve local problems. Not any more?.
Honestly I was simply referring to your knee jerk reaction to jlw’s comment regarding the Arkansas literacy issues. He was not saying the people were worthless but they certainly need some kind of leadership. Will it come from the Dems or the Republicans?Sure, Vern weighs in. He ran unsuccessfully as a Republican for the 2nd District Representative post to oust Marion Berry, and may try to run again. It may be one of Vern’s campaign issues, but I still don’t see that the Feds are going to provide the solution, whether he gets to Congress or not.
I can’t begin to tell you about the issues the Ledge was facing during the last session vis-a-vis education.Richardols, I didn’t realize that jlw meant ONLY to discuss the federal aspects of being blue state republicans or red state democrats. I do not know the make up of Arkansas. But someone is asleep at the wheel. Do you have a state legislature? A governor?
The Governor is a Republican, the Ledge is mostly Democrat. That’s some of it.they certainly need some kind of leadership. Will it come from the Dems or the Republicans?
My point is that Arkansas is badly governed. All the southern states are starting to move ahead, except for Arkansas, which is still in the grip of the Bourbon Redemptionists.Tue enough, but, what’s your point? That Arkies are all stupid and poor? If so, what does it have to do with this thread?
That’ll put her on the wrong foot, since she isn’t up for re-election in '08.http://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon10.gifHolt was and is, a crazy. If Lincoln didn’t take a challenge seriously enough in '04, she will in '08.
Mississippi moving ahead? Well…if you think so.My point is that Arkansas is badly governed. All the southern states are starting to move ahead, except for Arkansas, which is still in the grip of the Bourbon Redemptionists.
Yes, I should have engaged my mind before putting my mouth in gear on that one.That’ll put her on the wrong foot, since she isn’t up for re-election in '08.http://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon10.gif
The first thing the Federal government should do is enforce the Constitution. When a child is forced to attend a sub-standard school, that child’s rights to equal protection under the law are being violated.What do you expect our (or any other state’s) federal representatives do to raise the literacy rate? Last I heard, education was a local state and school district concern. We should be going after our Governor and State Leg, not the U.S. Congress. BTW, I always thought that you conservatives preferred not to rely on the federal government to solve local problems. Not any more?
.