M
myfavoritmartin
Guest
Some say this is Mary some say Israel, as promised to NW I have a strong opinion on this and would like to see where others stand on this.
it is all three.Some say this is Mary some say Israel, as promised to NW I have a strong opinion on this and would like to see where others stand on this.
Am quite busy at work I’ll share tonight, SorryMFM- is it too bold for me to ask why you cant tell us your strong opinion of who it is (not that its gonna be hard to figure out) but could you enlighten us?![]()
To use it as the sole proof is not a strong argument.I just want to clarify that Catholic teachings on Mary are not based on Revelation 12. Personally, I am not concerned if Mary is not the woman of Revelation 12, though it is strongly suggested. However, I find the argument that Revelation 12 is proof of Mary’s assumption very weak. While it might be used to reinforce the idea, I refrain from using it as proof.
God Bless,
Michael
AMEN, my brother!It was the similarities between David receiving the ark of the covenant and Elizabeth receiving Mary that became the key…remember, Scripture interprets Scripture…that unlocked Rev 12…
It is Mary that is the ark of the covenant being revealed in heaven, and there she is with a crown on her head! Hard to put a crown on a bodyless spirit, yes?
Yep, Mary is everywhere in Scripture. You just have to LOOK.
Oh yeah, there is also the similarities between Rev 12 (the woman and the dragon) and Genesis 3 (the woman and the serpent).
Peace,
Jacobaer
And Israel gave birth to Jesus through Mary, an Israelite. The Church as a whole is persecuted by the Dragon and each individual Christian is also pursued by the Devil, including Mary.My $.02
The Revelation passage refers not to Mary but to Israel. Israel gives birth to the Messiah, Christians are later persecuted, etc.
The woman adorned with the sun, the moon, and the stars (images taken from Genesis 37:9-10, Joseph’s dream) symbolizes God’s people in the Old and the New Testament. The Israel of old gave birth to the Messiah (Rev 12:5) and then became the new Israel, the Christian church, which suffers persecution by the dragon (Rev 12:6, 13-17); Isaiah 50:1; 66:7; Jeremiah 50:12.
I can see how one would read that and interpret it as referring to Mary, but it isn’t; we must look at what makes more sense: is Mary being persecuted by the dragon, or is New Israel being persecuted by the dragon?
You are right that interpretation is correct. You do fail to understand that the book of Revelation is full of symbolism. It is also correct that the woman closed with the sun is Mary because the woman gave birth to a child, who is King of Kings and Lords of Lords. Who is this child? Jesus. Who is the mother of Jesus? Mary.My $.02
The Revelation passage refers not to Mary but to Israel. Israel gives birth to the Messiah, Christians are later persecuted, etc.
The woman adorned with the sun, the moon, and the stars (images taken from Genesis 37:9-10, Joseph’s dream) symbolizes God’s people in the Old and the New Testament. The Israel of old gave birth to the Messiah (Rev 12:5) and then became the new Israel, the Christian church, which suffers persecution by the dragon (Rev 12:6, 13-17); Isaiah 50:1; 66:7; Jeremiah 50:12.
I can see how one would read that and interpret it as referring to Mary, but it isn’t; we must look at what makes more sense: is Mary being persecuted by the dragon, or is New Israel being persecuted by the dragon?
The Book of Revelation uses symbolic language to express literal truths. The fact that Revelation 12:27 says that the woman has “more children” fits perfectly with the Catholic teaching that all Christians are the spiritual children of Mary (John 19:26). Likewise, we are spiritual children of the Church.The next question…
Tell me, do you see Revelation as a symbolic book or a literal book? Because, I see it as a symbolic book. My reason for this includes Christ’s words to John (i.e. seven lamp stands), and the nature of the it, the book itself I mean.
Also, if you interpret Revelation literally versus symbolically, then Mary has “more children” in Rev 12:17. But you say Mary is a perpetual virgin. So you take the **symbolic **interpretation, that she is the mother of us all.
The labor pains symbolize the suffering endured as a result of being the Mother of the Messiah (the killing of the innocents by Herod, the flight into Egypt, watching her Son die on the Cross, etc.)If Mary is the woman mentioned in Revelation 12: and if she was without sin, why is she having labor pains?
How does that square with Genesis 3:14-16, where labor pains were a curse from God because of sin?
See Tom I knew we could find common ground.However, I think chapter 12 points mainly to the Church.