Rick Warren

  • Thread starter Thread starter Faith1960
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Faith1960

Guest
Have any of you read The Purpose Driven Life (expanded edition) What On Earth Am I Here For? By Rick Warren? For those who did, tell me what you think of it.
 
Have any of you read The Purpose Driven Life (expanded edition) What On Earth Am I Here For? By Rick Warren? For those who did, tell me what you think of it.
Awesome and very inspirational
 
Yes, same! Awesome and phenomenally life-affirming. I really got a lot out of it. I was attending an evangelical mega church at the time and they were all over that book (Purpose Driven)…workshops, workbooks, calendars, day books, etc.

Rick Warren appeared on EWTN a few months ago, for an ecumenical project, but I really didn’t pay attention so that’s all the info I’ve got on that.

Incidentally, there’s a Catholic book called “A Catholic Perspective on the Purpose Driven Life” by Fr. Joseph Champlin. Catholic Book Publishing. Also very good, just a 90-page booklet though, but a lot packed in there.
 
Yes, same! Awesome and phenomenally life-affirming. I really got a lot out of it. I was attending an evangelical mega church at the time and they were all over that book (Purpose Driven)…workshops, workbooks, calendars, day books, etc.

Rick Warren appeared on EWTN a few months ago, for an ecumenical project, but I really didn’t pay attention so that’s all the info I’ve got on that.

Incidentally, there’s a Catholic book called “A Catholic Perspective on the Purpose Driven Life” by Fr. Joseph Champlin. Catholic Book Publishing. Also very good, just a 90-page booklet though, but a lot packed in there.
Ill have to order it.
 
Yes,I read the original, and although he said all the right things, it left me hanging. It was a OK pep talk, but need more concrete instruction. Notice that Rick didn’t give any examples from his own life. I really want God’s will, but I don’t want to waste 40 years on the back side of the desert like Moses because I didn’t hear God right. I found much better instruction from the DESTINY series by Andrew Womack Don’t be afraid to check it out. His ministry was invited to teach this in a Catholic monestery by the arch abbot of Hungary. I believe most people miss Gods best but I want to be one of the few who find it.
God bless you.
 
Yes I read the original many years ago. It was good.
I think I enjoyed rediscovering catholicism better by matthew kelly.
 
Yes I read the original many years ago. It was good.
I think I enjoyed rediscovering catholicism better by matthew kelly.
Agreed!. I will wait till the second one comes out in the thrift stores, and it will. Lots of the original ones there. Only a quarter!. God Bless, Memaw
 
I have not read the book, but know of Rick Warren through Protestant friends who themselves are issuing warnings against him.

Catholics need to be very very discerning so as not to be led astray: Please read this article in its entirety:
No faithful Catholic can accept the “Purpose-Driven” approach to Scripture. Catholics already possess “the full and living gospel” (Catechism of the Catholic Church 77; see also CCC 76–83).
Entry into eternal life? “If you learn to love and trust God’s Son, Jesus, you will be invited to spend the rest of eternity with him. On the other hand, if you reject his love, forgiveness, and salvation, you will spend eternity apart from God forever.” All of this can sound plausible to a Catholic who doesn’t have a firm grasp of the faith. Surely God doesn’t care about “religious background or doctrinal views”! But Warren’s assertions are themselves “doctrinal views,” unstated and undefended. More urgently, is Warren talking about the same “eternal life” as Jesus did, the Jesus who taught that “the gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few” (Matt. 7:14)?
Warren proclaims: “There is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ approach to worship and friendship with God. Compare Warren’s views about worship to those of Pope Benedict XIV, who as a cardinal wrote:
'Liturgy presupposes . . . that the heavens have been opened . . . If the heavens are not open, then whatever liturgy was is reduced to role playing and, in the end, to a trivial pursuit of congregational self-fulfillment in which nothing really happens”
And here are just some of the Protestant objections to his “teaching.”

jesus-is-savior.com/Wolves/rick_warren.htm
 
I read it years ago, but found it elementary and more for new comers to the faith.

I like Pastor Rick Warren however.

He’s advanced spiritually from most evangelists and is open to people of other faiths, especially Catholics.

Jim
 
I have not read the book, but know of Rick Warren through Protestant friends who themselves are issuing warnings against him.

Catholics need to be very very discerning so as not to be led astray: Please read this article in its entirety:

And here are just some of the Protestant objections to his “teaching.”

jesus-is-savior.com/Wolves/rick_warren.htm
What?! Tigg, Did you actually read that link to Jesus-is-savior…?

**It’s completely, militantly anti-Catholic. Why would that be a good source for any objections to Rick Warren? I wouldn’t even call that a Protestant website - it’s more of a HATE-mongering rant, complete with the eye-clashing colors and crazy fonts on black background. It even looks evil.

They call the Catholic Church a spiritual whore and the world’s worst cult!

That is a Seriously Hateful Website!!**

I like Rick Warren, he seems genuinely Christian. He works with other faiths and doesn’t bash any of them. I did read the book and did the 40-day Purpose Driven study program while I was away from the Church, however. I wouldnt do it again today, as we have so much more, such as the Ignatian Exercises and many Third Orders and other great Catholic programs in our own faith tradition.

I understand the Catholic objections, because after all, he IS Protestant. He’s not going to teach Catholic beliefs that are “hot spots”, but he doesn’t bash them, either. As I said, he was recently a guest on EWTN, so he’s Catholic-friendly. Wouldn’t he make a great witness if he converted?! Something to put on my prayer list. 🙂
 
Wasn’t Rick Warren among a group of pastors invited to Rome for a meeting with Pope Francis last summer or fall?
 
I read it years ago, but found it elementary and more for new comers to the faith.

I like Pastor Rick Warren however.

He’s advanced spiritually from most evangelists and is open to people of other faiths, especially Catholics.

Jim
👍 I read his book a number of years ago during Lent (there are 40 chapters in the book) and thought that it was basic but good. Pastor Warren is working with Bishop Vann of the Archdiocese of Orange (CA) on a joint project dealing with mental illness in the Orange County area (Rick Warren’s son was mentally ill and committed suicide). Pastor Warren will be a key note speaker at the Los Angeles Religious Education Congress in March.
 
I’ve watched him on video, and I think he’s a pompous, arrogant jerk who exploits God as much as follows Him.

First, the success of his book went completely to his head.

His own son committed suicide, which is tragic. Supposedly his son had “bipolar disorder” which I can relate to because I had it severely for 12 years.

But when I saw the Older Warren on TV after the death, I was chilled through every bone. He came across as having the “crocodile tears” of any politician, using the occasion for his own aggrandizement. And all the while explaining all how wonderful a father he is and sometimes you just have to accept what happens etc…

Yes, he was no doubt grieving over his son, but it came across more opportunist than as a reaction to any loss. He blamed his son’s death on “bipolar disorder” without even considering that maybe and/or his fame had anything to do with it. Frankly he came across more relieved than troubled that his son was gone.

He made it absolutely clear that he had amassed HUGE resources in his son’s favor. no, Rick, his brain didn’t just arbitrarily “break down” in a vacuum. This clearly marks an opportunity for him to show himself to be even greater – now of course if Matthew doesn’t agree we don’t have his version of it. 😉

I’m sorry but I can hardly contain myself at how much this guy and his public persona rubs me the wrong way …

Rick Warren: 'Mental illness took my son’s life.

If I had been able to preview my dad acting like this after my death, I’d have gone straight to hell without even bothering to die first. :mad:

Rick Warren returns to pulpit after son’s suicide: “I was in shock” – Again, notice his focus on how much he had done for his son, and saw to it that absolutely nothing any human could have done, he had done for his son. He wants EEEVERYBODY to know that he had done everything right. He’d been the greatest dad and formed the most faithful family. He said the most and best prayers. He bought the best help.

And yet someone who has been through bipolar disorder and has contemplated suicide (not because of my dad btw my dad was wonderful for my health) and has helped others from that state into states of happy and healthy living, I noticed what Poster Warren did NOT say:

… he did NOT say anything to show that he had any emotional connection to the boy at all. He didn’t talk about the times they had that he will now miss. He didn’t talk about things that were troubling the boy. Just “oh well brain went south nothing I could do.” I wasn’t even convinced he knew his son very well. The mother seemed nice; I didn’t see her enough to have vibes either way… but she has two crosses now – the loss of her son, and having to put up with her husband. Hopefully her love can eventually save the husband; he has the book knowledge maybe just one touch of love can make him a great success story instead of how he stands now in my mind.

Like “gosh I guess God’s trying to teach me sometimes you do everything right and it still doesn’t work out.” He’d make me want to puke, if I hadn’t already mostly processed this a few years ago.

Rick Warren on son: Matthew was not afraid to die – I love the description Warren gives here, of his son. His son was like Jesus it almost sounds like, except for one thing. He needed somebody to be his modern Jesus. His dad was impressed at the son’s compassion, which I’m glad to see; maybe some day Rick will recognize what it was about his son, and learn to have the same kind of “honest” compassion (as opposed to “motivated” compassion for example) as his son Matthew.

Another view of the situation … I’ve never heard this guy I just found this on YouTube:
Rick Warren’s Son Had Rick Warren’s Demons

R.I.P Matthew Warren: you were an inspiration during life, and you will not be forgotten after death.



MS
 
Thank you Sandra for your post#10
Good warning. But would you share your thoughts on how we can trully find God’s unique will for our life. Someone said that if you are in His will the following will be evident,

It will be much more than you can imagine

It will be less effort than you think possible

Everything will fall into line without your help

You will do things you have no natural ability to do

You will have no competition because it is God’s unique place for you

God bless you
 
Another view of the situation … I’ve never heard this guy I just found this on YouTube:
Rick Warren’s Son Had Rick Warren’s Demons
To all:

Please I apologize for posting the link I’ve labeled above in my post. I tried to edit it out but didn’t make it within 20 minutes.

I totally regret posting this guy’s angry rant, and now I owe Pastor Warren and his family and all on this thread, a profound apology for it.

Posting that link, to me, tells me that I have anger and resentment issues myself, triggered by the Matt Warren situation.

I do not retract or apologize for the rest of the post, because it represents my honest feelings. But I do apologize for and regret having posted the link to the guy who said Warren’s sons has Warren’s demons.

:imsorry:
 
What?! Tigg, Did you actually read that link to Jesus-is-savior…?

It’s completely, militantly anti-Catholic. Why would that be a good source for any objections to Rick Warren? I wouldn’t even call that a Protestant website - it’s more of a HATE-mongering rant, complete with the eye-clashing colors and crazy fonts on black background. It even looks evil.

They call the Catholic Church a spiritual whore and the world’s worst cult!

That is a Seriously Hateful Website!!

I like Rick Warren, he seems genuinely Christian. He works with other faiths and doesn’t bash any of them. I did read the book and did the 40-day Purpose Driven study program while I was away from the Church, however. I wouldnt do it again today, as we have so much more, such as the Ignatian Exercises and many Third Orders and other great Catholic programs in our own faith tradition.

I understand the Catholic objections, because after all, he IS Protestant. He’s not going to teach Catholic beliefs that are “hot spots”, but he doesn’t bash them, either. As I said, he was recently a guest on EWTN, so he’s Catholic-friendly. Wouldn’t he make a great witness if he converted?! Something to put on my prayer list. 🙂
oops! my bad, and I only googled it without proofing but you will get a number of hits from mainline Protestants who oppose his message. I really find it more interesting that you do not acknowledge the article from an accurate Catholic source which lists the reasons why Catholics should be cautious.
 
oops! my bad, and I only googled it without proofing but you will get a number of hits from mainline Protestants who oppose his message. I really find it more interesting that you do not acknowledge the article from an accurate Catholic source which lists the reasons why Catholics should be cautious.
Oh my! Okay, just checking-- thank you.

I guess I didn’t see a need to acknowledge the Catholic source-- it was duly noted, though.

Edit: Wait, I did acknowledge it. :confused:
 
Thank you Sandra for your post#10
Good warning. But would you share your thoughts on how we can trully find God’s unique will for our life. Someone said that if you are in His will the following will be evident,

It will be much more than you can imagine

It will be less effort than you think possible

Everything will fall into line without your help

You will do things you have no natural ability to do

You will have no competition because it is God’s unique place for you

God bless you
God bless you, too!

I think a good spiritual director would be able to help someone discern God’s will for them.

I’ve seen those sayings you posted before too, along with things like “If you’re in God’s will, you’ll be at peace with your decision”; or “the doors will be opened for you”, “obstacles will be removed…” etc, but you can pretty much say the same things about falling into serious sin, when you think about it.

I think discernment is key.
 
I have not read the book, but know of Rick Warren through Protestant friends who themselves are issuing warnings against him.

Catholics need to be very very discerning so as not to be led astray: Please read this article in its entirety:

And here are just some of the Protestant objections to his “teaching.”

jesus-is-savior.com/Wolves/rick_warren.htm
Wow, that link you gave from the Protestant point of view as another page, disgusting, “Hail mary! Hail Satan! Catholicism, mother of harlots!”. Wow. You can always find a Protestant denomination that will give a pantingly long scourging review of another Protestant denomination. 🤷

I saw Rick Warren and his wife on EWTN nightly news and I was impressed. He made money on his book, sure, but he and his wife tithe like 90% of their income. He is a man with an incomplete Christian faith in Our Lord Jesus, because he is not blessed to be Catholic. But look at what he is doing with the little he has! A lot! In comparison we are so much richer than he is, because we are Catholic. We have so much more! So how can we stand and judge someone ho has so little compared to us and does so much with it?

Yes, his theology has some error. I also have the booklet, “A Catholic Perspective on the Purpose Driven Life” by Fr. Joseph Champlin. Catholic Book Publishing. Its good for understanding.
 
To all:

Please I apologize for posting the link I’ve labeled above in my post. I tried to edit it out but didn’t make it within 20 minutes.

I totally regret posting this guy’s angry rant, and now I owe Pastor Warren and his family and all on this thread, a profound apology for it.

Posting that link, to me, tells me that I have anger and resentment issues myself, triggered by the Matt Warren situation.

I do not retract or apologize for the rest of the post, because it represents my honest feelings. But I do apologize for and regret having posted the link to the guy who said Warren’s sons has Warren’s demons.

:imsorry:
Well it was good to that you said that. May God bless you and give you peace. As to issues, Jesus will heal them!* He heals hearts.* Anyway, your post really concerned me. You just cannot know know what they are going through only that it is probably full of far more pain that we can ever know.

I wish you would ask the mods to remove your post. It’s mean. Just because you are honestly and genuinely thinking cruel and harshly judgemental thoughts does not mean you should post them. (You might have good guesses but you can* never *know what is going on in someones head and heart! Only God can!). Your words would cause pain to any grieving family member who googled it, rubbing salt in the wound, besides giving a very emancipated view to outsiders on how Catholics might view things. 😦
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top