P
PattiDay
Guest
A few people in our parish pray the rosary before Sunday mass. I have been joining them for months. The size of the group varies from six to several dozen from week to week. Yesterday, the woman who usually leads the rosary was unable to be there, so one of the ladies asked me to lead the rosary. As we were getting to the final Glory Be and the Hail Holy Queen, one of the the lectors entered, went to the pulpit and just started reading the pre-mass announcements and the pages for the day’s readings and asking who was a visitor. This was done with a microphone, so there was no possibility to continue reciting the rosary to the end. I completed it silently.
There was at least one or two minutes after his announcements before the bell rang and mass was started. This is the second time this has happened that I am aware of, although I don’t know if it was the same lector. The last time was a few weeks ago when an elderly lady was leading and it left her upset and practically in tears. It would have taken a maximum of 30 seconds for us to finish the two prayers. A quick assessment by the lector would have determined that the mass would not be late in starting by allowing us (probably a dozen parishoners) to finish. I had to remind myself that I had just been to confession, but I had to gulp down my irritation…
Since we have a very small church and the narthex opens onto it with 6 doors, it is often very noisy with people socializing pre-mass. Often people are coming into the church, where people are obviously involved in reverent prayer, and shouting out a hearty greeting or worse. Mass often enough starts late, and much noise is made getting the faithful into the church as if it were the second half of a broadway show or something. I’m much less calm about this now than I was yesterday. Your thoughts or comments please.
There was at least one or two minutes after his announcements before the bell rang and mass was started. This is the second time this has happened that I am aware of, although I don’t know if it was the same lector. The last time was a few weeks ago when an elderly lady was leading and it left her upset and practically in tears. It would have taken a maximum of 30 seconds for us to finish the two prayers. A quick assessment by the lector would have determined that the mass would not be late in starting by allowing us (probably a dozen parishoners) to finish. I had to remind myself that I had just been to confession, but I had to gulp down my irritation…
Since we have a very small church and the narthex opens onto it with 6 doors, it is often very noisy with people socializing pre-mass. Often people are coming into the church, where people are obviously involved in reverent prayer, and shouting out a hearty greeting or worse. Mass often enough starts late, and much noise is made getting the faithful into the church as if it were the second half of a broadway show or something. I’m much less calm about this now than I was yesterday. Your thoughts or comments please.