Rules about Eating Meat

  • Thread starter Thread starter nfinke
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW.

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee and for those who do not have recourse to thee, especially the Freemasons and all those who are commended to thee!
 
I do not see the point. No meat on Fridays. The rest of days you can eat meat. No ones should eat meat everyday. How keep fridays meat-free helps God?
 
This is a very interesting thread.

When I was still married to ex, he insisted that we refrain from meet on Wednesday (for Mama Mary’s intentions and pro-life intentions) and on Friday for penance, Pope’s intentions, and pro-life intentions.

I usually made a supper with some type of beans (like black or red bean soup) that we served with some kind of bread. We’d drink water with our meal. On Friday, during ordinary time, we’d have some type of fish for supper, along with any leftovers from the bean dish earlier in the week. I would also make a simple tossed salad or other veggie.

During lent, we didn’t eat meat and often abstained from fish on Fridays as well. During Advent we also fasted and abstained, but it wasn’t as austere as Lenten fasting and abstinence.
 
How keep fridays meat-free helps God?
It doesn’t help God, but the small change to our eating habits assists us in turning our minds in gratefulness to Christ whose flesh was sacrificed for us on a Friday.

I haven’t seen anyone mention it yet (May have missed it), but there are no exemptions from meat on Friday DURING LENT. In otherwords, you can’t eat meat on a Lenten Friday and give up soda instead. It must be meatless. (Unless it’s a solemnity.)
 
So is there no obligation to abstain from meat/do penance on Holy Days of Obligation that fall on a Friday? Like next week for example? 🤔
 
I usually made a supper with some type of beans (like black or red bean soup) that we served with some kind of bread. We’d drink water with our meal.
Bean soup, bread, and water sound fine to me. I seldom drink anything but water, diet soda, or coffee. A beer, fountain Coke, or root beer are an occasional treat. I always keep a couple of Red Stripes in the refrigerator.
I haven’t seen anyone mention it yet (May have missed it), but there are no exemptions from meat on Friday DURING LENT. In otherwords, you can’t eat meat on a Lenten Friday and give up soda instead. It must be meatless. (Unless it’s a solemnity.)
That is right, there is no “wiggle room” during Lent. Abstaining from meat is mandatory.
So is there no obligation to abstain from meat/do penance on Holy Days of Obligation that fall on a Friday? Like next week for example?
That, too, is right. Eat all the meat you like if an HDO falls on a Friday. Some US dioceses also give a dispensation if St Patrick’s Day falls on a Friday, so corned beef and cabbage are safe.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Nik
Eat all the meat you like if an HDO falls on a Friday.
I think you’re right. I don’t have a list of all the solemnities to which this would apply. Again, the need either to abstain from meat, or to do an alternate penance, on Fridays throughout the year is generally not known or understood in the United States. As I said, the only thing many people heard is “we can eat meat on Fridays now”.
 
Any solemnity is treated as a Sunday; no penance should be undertaken on these celebratory Fridays.
 
Any solemnity is treated as a Sunday; no penance should be undertaken on these celebratory Fridays.
Quite right. I try to avoid even small voluntary penances on Sundays. Precisely what those consist of, I will keep to myself — penances aren’t supposed to be made known to others, if it can be helped. One thing that makes dietary penances so significant is that they are “inside of you” and can’t be seen by others. Unless you are around someone continuously, they can’t know what you eat, and what you don’t eat.
 
In the Byzantine Tradition, we abstain from meat on all Wednesdays & Fridays of the year EXCEPT:
  1. Dec. 25 - Jan. 4th in honor of the Nativity of Our Lord
  2. Bright Week (the week after Pascha/Easter)
  3. Green Week (the week after Pentecost)
  4. From the Sunday of the Publican and the Pharisee to the Sunday of the Prodigal Son (= the last Sunday after Epiphany to Septugesima on the TL calendar)
Traditionally, we abstain from meat products from Meatfare Sunday to Holy Saturday inclusive and dairy products from Cheesefare Sunday to Holy Saturday inclusive. When the baskets of Paschal food are blessed on Holy Saturday night or Pascha/Easter then we can eat meat & dairy products again.

https://www.royaldoors.net/2017/01/...scribed-ukrainian-greek-catholic-church-2015/
 
We still abstain from meat unless it’s a BIG Holy Day (e.g. Theophany/Epiphany on Jan. 6).
 
This. In the Latin Rite (I don’t know about Eastern),
In the east, it’s pretty much anything with blood, so fish are meat.

Shellfish and crustaceans are permitted–but they’re “sea bugs”–disgusting things that only the poor had to eat at the time the rules were developed.

things traditionally stored in animal skins were prohibited for that reason . . .
I have no desire to eat organ meats anyway,
In the east, we don’t use organs, nor do we eat any part of them you could brea a tooth on those black keys . . .:crazy_face::roll_eyes:😱
When I was still married to ex, he insisted that we refrain from meet on Wednesday (for Mama Mary’s intentions and pro-life intentions) and on Friday for penance, Pope’s intentions, and pro-life intentions.
I don’t know about the West, but in the East, fasting is prohibited during Bright Week (the week after Pascha/Easter), as it is a time for pfeasting ins celebration.
Any solemnity is treated as a Sunday; no penance should be undertaken on these celebratory Fridays.
The really odd one is whenAnnunciation and Good Friday are the same day . . . (but this won’t happen again in any of our our lifetime . . . nonetheless, my church saved the sepecialbookletswe printed :roll_eyes:🤔😱)
 
I don’t know about the West, but in the East, fasting is prohibited during Bright Week (the week after Pascha/Easter), as it is a time for pfeasting ins celebration.
oops. My bad for not clarifying, my family did not abstain from meat during Christmastide or Easter. I would tell my kids, we’ve got six weeks of Lent, but 7 weeks of Easter. We didn’t put all of the candies in their baskets on Easter Sunday and would spread out the cheer over the 7 weeks. When the children were little, sometimes we would dye eggs more than once during Easter as well. Christmas and Easters were joyous times.
 
Abstinence, unlike fasting, doesn’t have an “age-out” factor. It is from 14 years old for the rest of one’s life.
Is this true in all countries? I live in the UK and abstinence from meat is required on Fridays throughout the year as far as I’m aware, but I thought that after sixty something you didn’t have to abstain.
 
Abstinence, unlike fasting, doesn’t have an “age-out” factor. It is from 14 years old for the rest of one’s life.
It is universal, though the bishops in individual countries are able to derogate from it (or, possibly, make the requirements more stringent — don’t know for sure about that one).

https://www.ewtn.com/lent/fasting.aspx


(The traditional, older disciplines could be thought of as a “list of better practices”, but they are not binding — the SSPX admits the binding force of the 1983 CIC and does not go beyond it. You are certainly free to follow pre-Vatican II practice if you want to, but you don’t have to.)
 
40.png
HomeschoolDad:
Abstinence, unlike fasting, doesn’t have an “age-out” factor. It is from 14 years old for the rest of one’s life.
Is this true in all countries? I live in the UK and abstinence from meat is required on Fridays throughout the year as far as I’m aware, but I thought that after sixty something you didn’t have to abstain.
I live in the UK, too, and want to clarify this. According to the Briefing Notes produced for the Press at the time of the announcement by the Board of Catholic Bishops of England and Wales., not abstaining from meat on Friday in England and Wales (I don’t know about Scotland) ‘does not rise to the level of mortal sin’.

In fact, our parish frequently holds hotpot suppers on Fridays for fundraising.
 
Abstinence, unlike fasting, doesn’t have an “age-out” factor. It is from 14 years old for the rest of one’s life.
I am all for fundraising, but any Catholic events on Friday really need to be vegetarian or pescatarian. This could be a teachable moment — “yes, we still abstain from meat on Friday, either that or do something else”. Indians serve vegetarian food for Diwali and the Sikh langar (community meals). Why can’t we follow suit and use this as a way to teach our faith?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top