Saddam was not threatening his neighbours

• Thread starter Thread starter Matt25
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Trelow:
Key point, they post opinions, gilliam posts facts.
Thanks for bringing that up.
The original posting was a report of the British Foreign Secretaries view. He was and is better informed than you. And he said
The Foreign Secretary said he would discuss this with Colin Powell this week. It seemed clear that Bush had made up his mind to take military action, even if the timing was not yet decided. But the case was thin.** Saddam was not threatening his neighbours, and his WMD capability was less than that of Libya, North Korea or Iran. **We should work up a plan for an ultimatum to Saddam to allow back in the UN weapons inspectors. This would also help with the legal justification for the use of force.

40.png
rjfern0407:
Since you’re being so rude: You’re a total hypocrite. You spend all day long copying and pasting news stories that support the war in Iraq and then completely belittle anyone who disagrees with you. Now that someone posted one of their opinions, you got the guts to say: “You really need to stop reliving 2002”? Get a life!
I find nothing particularly rude about “You really need to stop reliving 2002” or any other comment in his previous posts. He posts pro-war news stories. Others post anti-war stories. One guy comments. Another responds or rebutts. 'Round we go. If you really thought he was being rude, report him to the mods.

Scott

America needs to worry more about it’s crumbling domestic situation than it should about pursuing foreign entanglements. Our roads and bridges are falling apart, our public schools are decaying, illegal immigrants are flooding across the borders regularly, domestic violence against women is increasing, gas prices are at an all time high while consumers are continuously encouraged to purchase gas guzzling and environmentally damaging SUVs. The federal deficit is a nightmare. Bush fiddles while America burns.

Meanwhile, American men and women serving in the military are sitting ducks in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere in the world. Sadaam was a threat, just as the leaders of North Korea, Iran, Russia and elsewhere are threats. Sadaam did not attack America on 9-11. Yet what about those who are actually directly responsible for attacking Americans and killing Americans? Osama Bin Laden remains at large. Mullah Omar remains at large. Zarqawi remains at large.

George W. Bush and his administration have been a disaster for those who truly love America. Republican mismanagement and political elitism has only paved the way for a Democratic majority in the House and Senate in 2006, and a Hillary Clinton administration come 2008.

Saddam was not threatening his neighbours…

Today’s fallacy: the straw man.

The U.S. invaded Iraq based on eight different rationales, not a single one of which was that Hussein was “threatening his neighbors”.

– Mark L. Chance.

P.S. Isn’t it funny that the British government is to be believed only when it attacks the Bush Administration? Sounds like special pleading to me.

40.png
mlchance:
P.S. Isn’t it funny that the British government is to be believed only when it attacks the Bush Administration? Sounds like special pleading to me.
Just how egocentric are some Americans. The Bush Government was not attacked. This was a memo of a UK government meeting which was leaked prior to the UK election this week to encourage UK voters to punish our Government for lying to we the people.

I don’t really care how you guys feel about New Labour. You don’t have a vote, we Brits do and I think we should know that our government lied to us.

40.png
Matt25:
Just how egocentric are some Americans. The Bush Government was not attacked. This was a memo of a UK government meeting which was leaked prior to the UK election this week to encourage UK voters to punish our Government for lying to we the people.

I don’t really care how you guys feel about New Labour. You don’t have a vote, we Brits do and I think we should know that our government lied to us.
Kind of touchy, eh?

If you only want opinions from Brits, why are you posting on an international site? While you were not here during our election, I seem to recall plenty of Europeans chiming in here and in the press about our President.

As far as the memo, how did they lie? What I see is a recognition that the decision had been made and a recommendation that the UK push for an ultimatum. I believe that did happen, and Saddam chose to ignore it.

As far as saying the appeal to the UN was cynical, I don’t agree. It may have already been decided, but both the US and the UK were seeking support from the UN. If not for the corruption on the part of some of the Security Council, they might have gotten it.

40.png
rlg94086:
Kind of touchy, eh?

If you only want opinions from Brits, why are you posting on an international site? While you were not here during our election, I seem to recall plenty of Europeans chiming in here and in the press about our President.

As far as the memo, how did they lie? What I see is a recognition that the decision had been made and a recommendation that the UK push for an ultimatum. I believe that did happen, and Saddam chose to ignore it.

As far as saying the appeal to the UN was cynical, I don’t agree. It may have already been decided, but both the US and the UK were seeking support from the UN. If not for the corruption on the part of some of the Security Council, they might have gotten it.
I still fail to see an attack on the Bush presidency anywhere in this. You can comment all you like on the UK election but you can’t vote in it.

If you want to know what the White House was thinking when it went to the UN, read Plan of Attack. It does not show it was cynical. Instead it shows they were trying many avenues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back