Satanism in pop culture

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rosarydevotion
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I hear a song or see a video with references to the devil…I just put it in my trash bin & that’s where it stays!
Old churches had gargoyles to remind the faithful of St. Peter’s warning that “the devil, your enemy, is prowling about like a lion, looking for someone to devour”. So it’s not evil to have depictions of the devil on everyday things.

For example, I have a t-shirt of Stone Brewing Company, a microbrewery in San Diego. It has a demon face on it, which is their logo (they make a strong beer called “arrogant bastard”, pardon my French). My brother was there and got it for me for Christmas, and there were other t-shirts with the full body of the demon on it, which he figured I wouldn’t want.

It reminds me, however, of what C.S. Lewis said in the Screwtape Letters: the devil is not some cartoon character with a pitchfork and red tights. And when we start thinking that way, we’re on the wrong track.
 
Old churches had gargoyles to remind the faithful of St. Peter’s warning that “the devil, your enemy, is prowling about like a lion, looking for someone to devour”. So it’s not evil to have depictions of the devil on everyday things.

For example, I have a t-shirt of Stone Brewing Company, a microbrewery in San Diego. It has a demon face on it, which is their logo (they make a strong beer called “arrogant bastard”, pardon my French). My brother was there and got it for me for Christmas, and there were other t-shirts with the full body of the demon on it, which he figured I wouldn’t want.

It reminds me, however, of what C.S. Lewis said in the Screwtape Letters: the devil is not some cartoon character with a pitchfork and red tights. And when we start thinking that way, we’re on the wrong track.
I have a T-shirt with Jesus’ face on it, & wear it at Mass. 👍
 
I’ve seen HIS face on tees and hats…but…am I holy enough to have HIS image over my heart or mind???

ICXC NIKA.
I’m not holy enough, but it shows where my heart is…or should be. 😉
 
Evangelical fundamentalists will do anything to twist things into Satanic conspiracies. The three stripes of the M being translated as “666”, Monster referring to “the beast” and some profane references on the can? Give me a break.
I personally would love to video myself drinking a can of that stuff and dedicate it to those people while asking my friends if they see any demonic transformation happening.

Sadly, it’s a little hard to get my hands on and I’d have to drink it during breakfast so as I can also see how far a single serving can surpass the whole of my daily coffee intake. 😛
I have a T-shirt with Jesus’ face on it, & wear it at Mass. 👍
That’s cute. Excuse me if I just stick to Old Navy hoodies, Chinese dragon patterns, and the occasional shounen character.

(Gee, I wonder how many charges of demonic symbolism can the Spiritual Warfare Camp trump up against my wardrobe?)
 
As someone who has not always been a Christian in my life and heart (although I was baptized and properly raised in the Church), I have many thought scars from my involvement in our secular culture. Playing with things of the devil should not be taken lightly. Satan doesn’t take it lightly. He rejoices.
Yeah well I have thought scars as well as scars in more emotional areas because of my involvement in religious culture wars and conservative politicization. Would you like me to use my experience as a ground axe to take to Christianity or would you prefer a dialogue?

Funny how many in the spiritual warfare camp seem to think the latter is never an option. If Satan was real, I find it rather contradictory that he’d rejoice in the irreverent disbelief/denial he’s been given when his primary reason for rebellion was that he didn’t want humanity putting itself above him.
I just am around many people who don’t believe and even scoff at our Lord every day ( and yes I am called to love them and evangelize and I do the best I can) and I can see how our culture can obscure goodness, and truth and beauty.
God Bless you all and Keep fighting the Good fight.
I hate to say this but posts like yours are the reason why I count myself one of those people. Even my friends and my siblings have gone as far as caution others that should their religiosity ever cause trouble, they’ll feed them to me.

So much of CAF seems centered on complaining about the moral climate. Frankly, all such complaining has given more cause for people to dismiss Christianity compared to anything actually dogmatic.
 
You are right, but a lot of people don’t think Satan or Satanism are real. We have to be very discerning about what see and hear. When we keep hearing and seeing Satanic messages, gestures and symbols, over and over, we can absorb and think they don’t matter.

Best,
Ed
👍👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top