Saying of mother theresa

  • Thread starter Thread starter dtms
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you accept the fact that God is Love then you pretty much have to accept that he loves all equally. Love is a zero sum deal. You love or you don’t. It doesn’t have degrees. If we only loved someone because they deserved then we really don’t love them.

You mentioned hate for Esau. Hate is not the opposite of Love and they are not mutually exclusive. In fact Hate actually implies that you care. Apathy would be the opposite of Love.

As too what Mother Theresa said to me it seems clear. I used to be a Southern Baptist. By becoming a Better Baptist I was led to the Catholic Church. So yes becoming more moral, spiritual and demonstrating a true desire to please God one can be brought to the Truth.

God alone can change a man’s heart and as such instilling a desire to please God just opens the door for God to work his power and grace into someone’s life.
 
This might shed a little more light on what she was saying. Here’s a Q & A where she says almost the same thing but adds a little more.
Friends of yours say you are disappointed that your work has not brought more conversions in this great Hindu nation.
Missionaries don’t think of that. They only want to proclaim the word of God. Numbers have nothing to do with it. But the people are putting prayer into action by coming and serving the people. Everywhere people are helping. There may not be a big conversion like that, but we do not know what is happening in the soul.
What do you think of Hinduism?
I love all religions, but I am in love with my own.
And they should love Jesus too?
Naturally, if they want peace, if they want joy, let them find Jesus. If people become better Hindus, better Muslims, better Buddhists by our acts of love, then there is something else growing there. They come closer and closer to God. When they come closer, they have to choose.
time.com/time/reports/motherteresa/t891204.html

It would sound that she is saying that if they become more of whatever that they will learn love and that will bring them closer to the True Faith and they will eventually have to choose or reject it.

It would seem that Mother Teresa taught more by example than by words. It would seem that Mother Teresa’s method of conversion was to love people to it. Maybe some people would convert more by telling them that their religion wasn’t the right one and that the Catholic Church is the one true Church but somehow I’m thinking she converted more than any of us here!
 
I think you are confused about the notion of free will - these men used their free will given to follow their evil paths. Mary also used her free will to give herself completely to God and allow herself to be the vessel that brought Him into the world.
But God chose Mary for this honor, not you or my mom, only Mary received this honor.

Now, I’m not even discussing free will, election, predestination or anything else.

Paul had the risen Christ appear to him on the road to Damascus(?). This seems like quite a special grace God bestowed on Paul. Do most sinners get such a wake up call to chane their life?
 
So you are okay with a Christian, mother T in this case, encouraging Muslims and Hindus to continue on in the their religion and not only that, but to become better Hindus and Muslims? I don’t remember Jesus saying anything about going out into the world and encouraging all nations to become better pagans, do you?

Why not encourage them to become Christian? Encouraging them to become better at rejecting Christ is certainly not the answer. Letting them continue on in their disbelief, putting their soul at risk, does not seem very loving to me.
This is just speculation on my part, but based on some of the things I’ve read about Mother Teresa, I wonder if her way of not actively seeking converts was actually an effective way of Christian witness to two religious groups traditionally very resistant to Christian evangelization. Several years ago I read an article by a former atheist who spent time with some nuns from Mother Teresa’s order in a Romanian orphanage. The whole time none of the nuns ever tried to convert this atheist, but as she witnessed their great love and service to the Romanian orphans and the joy with which they served, she became convinced of the truth of Christianity and became a Catholic Christian. We can share Christ in many more ways than with words. St. Francis of Assisi is reported to have said, “Preach the Gospel at all times; if necessary, use words.” I think in not overtly seeking to convert people, Mother Teresa was letting people see the unconditional love of Christ and they knew that she didn’t love them just to make converts out of them but because they were human beings made in the image of God. In another situation, a Catholic woman was visiting with or working with Mother Teresa, and she shared how she was seriously thinking of leaving the Catholic Church. Mother Teresa’s response was very firm that she should not do that. Why? Because knowledge makes us accountable to God. The more truth we know, the more accountable we are. Every situation demands prudence and discernment as to the best way to evangelize, and in Mother Teresa’s situation, it perhaps was most prudent to evangelize more with actions than with words.
 
This is just speculation on my part, but based on some of the things I’ve read about Mother Teresa, I wonder if her way of not actively seeking converts was actually an effective way of Christian witness to two religious groups traditionally very resistant to Christian evangelization. Several years ago I read an article by a former atheist who spent time with some nuns from Mother Teresa’s order in a Romanian orphanage. The whole time none of the nuns ever tried to convert this atheist, but as she witnessed their great love and service to the Romanian orphans and the joy with which they served, she became convinced of the truth of Christianity and became a Catholic Christian. We can share Christ in many more ways than with words. St. Francis of Assisi is reported to have said, “Preach the Gospel at all times; if necessary, use words.” I think in not overtly seeking to convert people, Mother Teresa was letting people see the unconditional love of Christ and they knew that she didn’t love them just to make converts out of them but because they were human beings made in the image of God. In another situation, a Catholic woman was visiting with or working with Mother Teresa, and she shared how she was seriously thinking of leaving the Catholic Church. Mother Teresa’s response was very firm that she should not do that. Why? Because knowledge makes us accountable to God. The more truth we know, the more accountable we are. Every situation demands prudence and discernment as to the best way to evangelize, and in Mother Teresa’s situation, it perhaps was most prudent to evangelize more with actions than with words.
Good post.

Witnessing by action is always a good idea…much better than witnessing by words alone.

In her situation it was most likely much more prudent to witenss by actions than words…I have no issue with that.

But…depending on what she meant by making a Hindu a better Hindu (or whatever her exact phrase is) seems to me to be problematic or at least potentially problematic for a believer.

I guess neither you or I, based on the origianl quote alone, know the context of what she was saying and keep in mind I am not attacking her by expressing a disagreement with the words she chose. However, I do believe her words to be somewhat troublesome. Wonderful woman that she was does not make her free from mistakes.
 
Good post.

Witnessing by action is always a good idea…much better than witnessing by words alone.

In her situation it was most likely much more prudent to witenss by actions than words…I have no issue with that.

But…depending on what she meant by making a Hindu a better Hindu (or whatever her exact phrase is) seems to me to be problematic or at least potentially problematic for a believer.

I guess neither you or I, based on the origianl quote alone, know the context of what she was saying and keep in mind I am not attacking her by expressing a disagreement with the words she chose. However, I do believe her words to be somewhat troublesome. Wonderful woman that she was does not make her free from mistakes.
I think you’ve made a good point --we don’t know the context she made those comments. Just isolated as they are, it could sound like she’s a universalist or indifferentist/relativist. However, those being heresies condemned by the Church, I think that must not be what she meant because if she espoused either of those views she would be a heretic and would definitely not have been beatified.
 
Someone in my bible study read the following quote from mother theresa and I didn’t believe it. Sure enough, I went on the internet and found the quote from mother theresa.
Can you share, dtms, how the person in your bible study understood this saying? Or where they found it? My first guess is that it was circulated on a traditionist website that your friend innocently logged on to. Yes, it can be shocking what people find there, for all articles are presented in a very slanderous light to attack the church. Maybe you know the site I’m talking about, operated by M.H. who wrote the article in question.

Not only is she content with showing that Mother Teresa is unfit for canonization, but submitted false reasoning regarding the authentic miracle required by the Church to begin the process for sainthood.

You may dismiss this article for the attack it was meant to instigate. Even if it were possible that Mother Teresa’s love did not spring from Christ whom she received daily in Eucharist, the entire world has been witness of her wonderful charity and saw fit to give her the Nobel Peace Prize. That, too, speaks volumes!

All physicians take an oath to preserve life, and I’m not sure how to spell it. When a person is admitted to the E.R. for care, no one asks what faith they as a prerequiste to treat them: all are equally important and entitled to life. Can we expect less of Mother Teresa who ministered to the sick and dying?
 
Thank you for the link. But, if you read Aquinas’ section on grace I believe you will find Aquinas didn’t think that God distributes His grace evenly or equitably to all humankind.
Hi Reformed.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but from your reply quoted above, it seems like you think that St. Thomas is arguing that God, indeed, loves everyone equally. But I don’t think that part of the Summa is suggesting that (and therefore it follows, as you said, that He does not distribute His grace evenly).
I answer that, It must needs be, according to what has been said before, that God loves more the better things . For it has been shown (2, 3), that God’s loving one thing more than another is nothing else than His willing for that thing a greater good: because God’s will is the cause of goodness in things; and the reason why some things are better than others, is that God wills for them a greater good. Hence it follows that He loves more the better things.
Reply to Objection 3. This doubt concerning Peter and John has been solved in various ways. Augustine interprets it mystically, and says that the active life, signified by Peter, loves God more than the contemplative signified by John, because the former is more conscious of the miseries of this present life, and therefore the more ardently desires to be freed from them, and depart to God. God, he says, loves more the contemplative life, since He preserves it longer. For it does not end, as the active life does, with the life of the body.
Now, you mentioned that God does not evenly distribute His grace. Did you happen to read this and it raised an eyebrow on that idea?
Or it may be answered that gifts of grace, equal in themselves, are more as conferred on the penitent, who deserved punishment, than as conferred on the innocent, to whom no punishment was due; just as a hundred pounds [marcoe] are a greater gift to a poor man than to a king.
 
I guess neither you or I, based on the origianl quote alone, know the context of what she was saying
Please see this post. She has gone further in her comments here which make her feelings a little clearer.
Friends of yours say you are disappointed that your work has not brought more conversions in this great Hindu nation.
Missionaries don’t think of that. They only want to proclaim the word of God. Numbers have nothing to do with it. But the people are putting prayer into action by coming and serving the people. Everywhere people are helping. There may not be a big conversion like that, but we do not know what is happening in the soul.
What do you think of Hinduism?
I love all religions, but I am in love with my own.
And they should love Jesus too?
Naturally, if they want peace, if they want joy, let them find Jesus. If people become better Hindus, better Muslims, better Buddhists by our acts of love, then there is something else growing there. They come closer and closer to God. When they come closer, they have to choose.
Again…
time.com/time/reports/mot…a/t891204.html

It would sound that she is saying that if they become more of whatever that they will learn love and that will bring them closer to the True Faith and they will eventually have to choose or reject it.

It would seem that Mother Teresa taught more by example than by words. It would seem that Mother Teresa’s method of conversion was to love people to it. Maybe some people would convert more by telling them that their religion wasn’t the right one and that the Catholic Church is the one true Church but somehow I’m thinking she converted more than any of us here!
 
**I agree with Mother Teresa. Love and example are the best ways to convert someone. Trying to convert someone by telling them their religion is wrong often does the opposite effect. It drives the person away rather than make them reflect on their self and life.

Not to mention the more you love someone, the more they will love themself. If they love themself more, they will care more about the truth. If they care more about the truth, they will research Catholicism.

We should not be concerned with “how bad their religion is”, as all false religions are rather temporary. When the person dies, they can’t take that religion with them and they find themselves judged by God. Jesus promises us that Catholicism will never die [this can be assumed by His statement that Hell’s gates cannot prevail against His Church] so it does go with us when we die. So I see nothing wrong with encouraging someone to be a better ____. As others have mentioned, it does lead them to truth eventually.

And to ask a question, I thought Hindus believed in God as the head of the other gods and goddesses?
**
 
And to ask a question, I thought Hindus believed in God as the head of the other gods and goddesses?
They do believe in a god, but it is pantheistic monism – God isn’t separate and distinct from His creation, but rather part of it and permeates it. God isn’t a Person who can be known, but an impersonal force.
 
Someone in my bible study read the following quote from mother theresa and I didn’t believe it. Sure enough, I went on the internet and found the quote from mother theresa.

“There is only one God and He is God to all; therefore it is important that everyone is seen as equal before God.” I am O.K. up until this point. However, the next part of the quote threw me for a loop.
“I’ve always said we should help a Hindu become a better Hindu, a Muslim become a better Muslim, a Catholic become a better Catholic.”

Jesus said to go out and make disciples of all nations. He never said go out and make the pagans better pagans. Am I missing something here?

Dolores
I’ve read quotes from her also that show her telling the dying who asked her what they should do to pray to their own gods? Huh? I can’t fathom any Christian doing that. That’s not going to the world in preaching the gospel because that isn’t the gospel. I’m sorry, but something’s got to be very wrong there. Of course, I’m aware of many of the Catholic answers to this but when you get down to brass tacks, don’t you think God might ask her why she didn’t tell them the true gospel instead of telling them to pray to their false gods. I mean they were dying. They needed the truth, not false comfort.
 
I’ve read quotes from her also that show her telling the dying who asked her what they should do to pray to their own gods? Huh? I can’t fathom any Christian doing that. That’s not going to the world in preaching the gospel because that isn’t the gospel. I’m sorry, but something’s got to be very wrong there. Of course, I’m aware of many of the Catholic answers to this but when you get down to brass tacks, don’t you think God might ask her why she didn’t tell them the true gospel instead of telling them to pray to their false gods. I mean they were dying. They needed the truth, not false comfort.
I am sorry that you feel that you have the ability to judge ones actions. Mother Teresa actions in this world were more than enough to spread the gospel. You tend to pull out a quote and not give an exact example. I have read alot about Mother Teresa and I have not seen one instance where she was not spreading the gospel. I remember reading that in one instance while taking care of a dying women who would have other wise died alone on the streets, she was asked by the women why she was doing it, she said that she was caring for Jesus. And that was it, this is how she lived her life. Doing what God had asked of her.

What I don’t understand is she is criticized by non-Christians for the conversion on those who weren’t christian and she is criticized by Christan’s for not doing enough. Well I guess Jesus did say that you would be persecuted if you followed Him.

Mother Teresa is a wonderful example of what all of us Christians should do to follow our Lord.
 
I’m wondering why is it that Catholics can’t seem to accept or believe that those who hold a high position in their religion can make no mistakes or do no wrong. Instead they seem to make excuses and defend actions that have no defense or say it was taken out of context, etc. Of course, this woman did wonderfully in caring for the physical needs of the poor (as far as I know) but in my opinion, there’s no excuse for telling dying people to pray to their own gods. Nor any excuse for converting them to be better Muslims ,Hindus, or whatever. This isn’t sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ, it’s telling them to continue in their false religion which will send them to hell. That may sound harsh, but that’s what I see. Jesus didn’t tell his followers to go into the world and make people better Muslims or Hindus or pray to their own false gods. He sent them (and those who would come after them) to go to the world and preach the gospel of Jesus Christ.
 
4given, I understand you’ve been banned, but I want to address what you said.

So what if Mother Teresa encouraged non-Christians in their non-Christian belief durin their dying time? Yeesh, have some compassion. How would you like it if you were dying and the nurse looking after you started preaching at you? Dying people want comfort and acceptance, not harshness nor conversions. If they wanted to know about Catholicism during their dying hour, then they’d ask. Its none of our business to judge anyone. That is God’s domain.

The judging is making people believe that God is not capable of mercy and justice. You do others a disservice by judging. Its horrid that people persecute your religion in the first place, and on top of that, there’s people within your religion that persecute you too. How much can anybody take? You’re in my prayers.
 
And I would add to what Sermina said that the Church teaches that whatever is good in any tradition is part of the means to salvation and therefore belongs to the Church as well. A [fill in the religion/tradition] who is answering the universal call to holiness according to the knowledge he has is on his way to Christ through the Church even if he does not realize it. In short, being the best Hindu one can be ultimately leads one to the Church.

AMDG
jsa
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top