Scared of confession

  • Thread starter Thread starter HelpingStranger
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been a practicing Catholic for 15 years, and I still feel anxious about Confession sometimes, I admit. Something that helps me is to remember that the Sacrament of Confession isn’t about shame or judgment, it’s about God’s mercy and love.

Will pray for you! :gopray2:
I got to confession today and sat there with such angst to have to face for the third time and confess the same sin. In our single priest parish the only option is face to face confession and Father is a very serious, stern, and has a clipped style. That said, he is one of the best Catholics I know, but I just did not look forward to his searching eyes.

For the person who was just baptized and needed to go to confession because of a possibility of committing a mortal sin, is who I was thinking of, too, because I too just came into the Catholic Church Easter Vigil 2015. Being new, I didn’t know if I had committed a mortal sin or not and so I rehearsed what I was going to say, first telling Father that I did not know if it was mortal or venial sin, but I did know it was a repeat sin and would accept any advice so as not repeat my sin.

Well, I was shown great mercy, because it happened that a visiting priest was doing confession today and he was so kind and carefully answered my questions. I did tell him I was a new Catholic, and he explained that Satan gets us all worked up so that doing that can in itself cause ourselves to be cut off from God, just by worrying about it, and being afraid to come in and humble ourselves. He said, "Don’t ever stay away from Confession because you are afraid and give Satan that power. He asked me a few questions and told me he did not believe it was a mortal sin, because it was not malicious, planned and that I am probably just noticing my sin more now.

Our parish priest is more Catholic than anyone I know, and is a deeply caring person and I really like him, but is just not easy to have as a confessor. I am so intimidated by him. But having a different confessor today was a real gift because I really went away realizing each priest has their own gifts to impart. He had so much good advice and was very personable. However, he verbalized something very important that I did not miss the point when I thought about how afraid I had been. Even if it had been our stern parish priest, it is still never a good idea to let Satan get a foothold by being afraid of going to confession for any reason.

So, when in doubt always go to confession, because the alternative is worse even if it turns out to be a venial sin.
 
However, he verbalized something very important that I did not miss the point when I thought about how afraid I had been. Even if it had been our stern parish priest, it is still never a good idea to let Satan get a foothold by being afraid of going to confession for any reason.

So, when in doubt always go to confession, because the alternative is worse even if it turns out to be a venial sin.
This is very wise advice! 👍
 
As a convert to Catholicism over 20 years ago, confession was not something that I had ever experienced. During RCIA we were required to go to confession right before Easter and I dutifully went, although I’m sure it was not a good confession because I too was afraid to say frankly to the priest what was on my heart.

About 5 years ago, I began going to confession on a mostly regular basis, perhaps every couple of months. As I familiarized myself with this sacrament, I gradually became more and more comfortable in sharing what sins were on my heart. I attribute this to having the realization that it was Christ there in the confessional with me in the person of the priest.

Through the years, I have confessed many things that made me extremely uncomfortable but the priest , without exception, always comforts me, provides me with council, and performs absolution. After receiving absolution and making my act of contrition, I always have a great sense of relief, and I also receive grace that has strengthened my resolve to avoid that sin in the future.

While I am still a sinner, and will be as long as I am on this earth, I will readily avail myself of this wonderful sacrament in the future and reap the benefits of the grace received therein.

I would encourage you to put your fears behind you and take advantage of one of the many benefits available to us Catholics. Rest assured that the priest will share your joy after your confession and will only think that much more highly of you. That is my experience with this wonderful sacrament.👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top